Speculation: 2019-20 Trade Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
lmao

He’s not really what people would consider an insider though. He’s not a regular for breaking news and reporting things others don’t know yet.
Pierre regularly appears on Canadian sports radio to give his opinion and insight. He has deeply rooted ties to the hockey world.

Pierre is the GOAT. Can’t understand ppls hate for him, really got worse once he left TSN for NBC

Reactions: DieselPig

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Bigger rosters and a condensed schedule would actually be sick assuming they pull from the farm. The product would be diluted I guess but it would be your own prospects and that would be interesting. I mean it’s not my first choice but it could be fun if that’s the way they gotta go.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
You can't simply have an expanded roster though for the majority of the teams. Dallas is a prime, prime example. Each roster spot adds $700K to $1 million. Dallas' doesn't have the cap space for that. Very few teams do. You've got to some how make players not count against the cap in a fair way if you're going to make them play that much.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
You can make some kind of special exception pool or something. Also i don't think this would dilute anything. If teams could give their best players some rest every one in a while with some more spares around the product would actually be better overall.

Usually some time in January the games often just become a muck and grind . Players get tired , injuries start to pile up and all that.

I know its looked down upon in the NHL but imho with skaters its not different than with goalies. Teams should look to load manage guys at opportune times . There's a decent chance there won't be many if any fans in the stands anyway so who cares if McDavid plays in a roadgame in Arizona or something

Reactions: sportswastaken

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
The Olympics (broadcast rights owned by NBC in the US and partially Sportsnet in Canada) start July 23...that's a hard out. If the season is delayed, 82 games seems like a pipe dream.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Oh fantastic point. It now makes all the sense in the world what Bettman said about not going too far into the summer. I forgot about the Olympics. That's absolutely why he mentioned not going too far in the summer.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
One of the Athletic articles about the upcoming goalie carousel said that Khudobin has established himself in the upper echelon of goalies available this summer. Another Athletic writer, Mirtle, suggested a team like Buffalo could be a landing spot for him giving him a starter role.

What is the backup plan? We talked about some options prior to Khudobin's playoff performance. We are sort of getting into that territory though where it's not impossible that his play has priced him out of Dallas, especially after the Conference Finals and a game into the SCF.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
One of the Athletic articles about the upcoming goalie carousel said that Khudobin has established himself in the upper echelon of goalies available this summer. Another Athletic writer, Mirtle, suggested a team like Buffalo could be a landing spot for him giving him a starter role.

What is the backup plan? We talked about some options prior to Khudobin's playoff performance. We are sort of getting into that territory though where it's not impossible that his play has priced him out of Dallas, especially after the Conference Finals and a game into the SCF.
I think just about any goalie would do ok in a backup role in Dallas, assuming no significant system changes, and i think that means we're in for a Howard, Dell, maybe Elliot or Talbot. Though I'd think Talbot wants a more starter centric role.
Otherwise it's going to come from a trade and it can't be someone too good. otherwise you're giving up assets for someone you lose in a year for free (expansion)
So i think we'll see an experiment like Howard on a cheap 2yr deal.
I think they'll be fine using Oettinger as a 3rd goalie when Bishop gets injured for the next year. And the year after his contract should be cheap enough that if Oettinger is NHL ready, you move him(Howard) to the AHL without any real salary cap penalty.

Not saying i want Howard, there's just not a lot of good options that are decent backups that can play a starter workload available in UFA and i can't see us paying for a decent one, just to lose them in expansion

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
As long as Khudobin wants 3 years or less and a smaller AAV than Bishop, I think you just give it to him and deal with the fallout down the road. The more I think about it the more I dislike the idea of signing someone else. Goaltending cost us so many playoff runs and we now have a working formula. No reason to f*** it up.

I can’t imagine Khudobin getting more than 4.5M per for 3 years at absolute max. It wouldn’t be ideal but I’d be okay with that.

Makes a ton of sense from a business POV too.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I wouldn't touch Jimmy Howard at this stage of his career. Yeah its the Redwings and they really sucked but he was so much worse than Bernier who isn't exactly a standout either. Bad idea.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
If the Stars win the Cup, roll with Bishop/Oettinger cause why not.
So when Bishop gets injured have your entire season rest on a rookie with limited professional experience?
That's a good way to ruin a prospect

Last edited:

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
As long as Khudobin wants 3 years or less and a smaller AAV than Bishop, I think you just give it to him and deal with the fallout down the road. The more I think about it the more I dislike the idea of signing someone else. Goaltending cost us so many playoff runs and we now have a working formula. No reason to f*** it up.

I can’t imagine Khudobin getting more than 4.5M per for 3 years at absolute max. It wouldn’t be ideal but I’d be okay with that.

Makes a ton of sense from a business POV too.

i think that was similar to the mindset with benn and seguin, too. if you didn't just bite the bullet on those contracts, you basically guaranteed another decade of irrelevance, but we don't always like those cap hits already.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Get a backup for one-year only to give JO one more year in the AHL. Then, let him be the full-time backup. Id offer Dobby up to the same AAV as Bishop, but for only one year. He probably won’t take it, as he deserved more term. But I don’t think Nill will offer him three years. He cares too much about the long-term cap. He might offer two years, and that get him, Rads, and Pavs off the books the same summer.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
This all presumes we know the extent and nature of the Bishop injury. He may NOT come back the same, and even if he does, if Dobby wins the Cup for us, and is Conn Smyth winner, maybe we should consider him our starting goalie until de-throned. Dobby is our de-facto no. 1 right now. It may be he plays 55 games to Bishop's 27. Or, 50, 20 and 12 to Otter if there is some other injury, which IMHO, would actually be the perfect scenario.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
This all presumes we know the extent and nature of the Bishop injury. He may NOT come back the same, and even if he does, if Dobby wins the Cup for us, and is Conn Smyth winner, maybe we should consider him our starting goalie until de-throned. Dobby is our de-facto no. 1 right now. It may be he plays 55 games to Bishop's 27. Or, 50, 20 and 12 to Otter if there is some other injury, which IMHO, would actually be the perfect scenario.
If Bishop is healthy he's the #1. There's no goalie controversy here.
Unless bishop has to have surgery and is going to miss most of next season there is no scenario where Khudobin should be considered the #1. Regardless of how he played against Vegas - Tampa

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'd look at the list of teams on Bishop's no trade list and work the phones to see who wants him. Assuming he wants to stay, I'd rather have Khudobin. Someone else can take over the Ben Bishop injury carousel.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Meh, we need to replenish the prospect system so having more picks helps that. Not sure how deep this draft is but drafting in the late 1st is not always a guarantee. Might as well add picks if you can.

This draft is very deep, but picking 30 or 31st doesn't lead to a lot of success even in a deep draft. Then again picking 30 or 31st has a much higher chance than picking 50th and 70th.
And with McDonnel still running the percentage drops even lower

We've been trying to replenish it forever it was the best it ever was during the Nieuwendyk era but still horrendous

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
This draft is very deep, but picking 30 or 31st doesn't lead to a lot of success even in a deep draft. Then again picking 30 or 31st has a much higher chance than picking 50th and 70th.
And with McDonnel still running the percentage drops even lower

We've been trying to replenish it forever it was the best it ever was during the Nieuwendyk era but still horrendous

I'd argue we sent our best team to the Traverse tournament last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad