Speculation: 2019-20 Trade Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
@serp posted this article in a different thread (different thing quoted as well), but I thought this quote was applicable as we discuss next year's roster.

I just like the quote. He's been extremely honest earlier immediately after that game about his limitations. People talk about him being cocky, and that's the reason he'll be good. It seems though like he also has a healthy balance of understanding what he needs to work on. I'm hoping he's successful and sticks around next year.

They never talk about Johns. Never commit on if he's at team events. I just thought it was nice to know he's getting an opportunity to be around them and be a part of the group.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/meet-the-only-teen-in-the-bubble

I don't think they can afford to re-sign Sekera and Khudobin, and it appears that Khudobin is the priority for Nill. Sekera has really turned it on though, and if he wasn't too expensive, he's definitely a guy that could pair with Harley next year if they wanted a veteran. It's nice he's taken advantage of his time with the vets.

who is the first quote about? Otter?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Avs would make the most sense out of all the teams with capspace which would suck for us but what you gonna do.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Leafs fans to Marner:
38yapg.jpg

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I think Petro will end up with Toronto. They have the ability to front load the contract and he’s from the area ( at least I think he is)

They’d have to make some deals, but it’s not impossible

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Dubas seems to really like him. Gave him a strong endorsement after their season (I not that can at times be a death sentence).

Why would they not just trade Nylander first?

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I didn't really think that hard about it. It's just always the shiny new toy with Leafs fans. If there were enough superstars to go around they would be clamoring to kick out Tavares next season to make room for the next.
But yeah I just remember Marner being the subject of trade talks and I refuse to believe they would actually roll that few players tying up that much money.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I know there was a question earlier of an internal budget, which we then kinda assumed was not going to happen, but this article puts it to rest.
Tom Gaglardi said:
"If we’d gone in these playoffs and not had success, and then maybe looking and wanting to make some bigger changes with our club,” Gaglardi said. "That may mean that we’re maybe going to move out established players for younger, cheaper players. Yeah, that might have been in the cards, I don’t know. Just giving an example.
“We’ve had success, so obviously this is the group we’re going to probably want to stick with. That said, I think you’ve got to get your guys signed, and I don’t see a scenario where we’re not around the cap.”

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If they had blown that Game 7 against the Avs i would think the team would've been blown up but they didn't and here we are in the finals so that thankfully is not going to happen .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
As for Gaglardi i heard an TSN interview with him and he was asked about Aquilini and his answer was something like " Francesco and i don't talk and we are not friends and lets leave it at that" . So anyone still thinking Stars and Canucks will make any kind of deals with those two owners in place yeah thats not going to happen.

Reactions: DieselPig

________

Feb 6, 2006
I don't think they can afford to re-sign Sekera and Khudobin, and it appears that Khudobin is the priority for Nill. Sekera has really turned it on though, and if he wasn't too expensive, he's definitely a guy that could pair with Harley next year if they wanted a veteran. It's nice he's taken advantage of his time with the vets.
They might be able to.

Different Times Ahead for NHL Clubs? – “Good Players are in Play” - Full Press Coverage

NBCSports analyst Pierre McGuire admitted as much this week during one of his regular morning hits on TSN1200.
I’m going to caution everybody including Mark Borowiecki’s agent, these are way different times in the National Hockey League, and you’re just starting to see just a little ripple in the water. This is going to be a very different time financially for the league, and for a lot of member clubs in the league. I’m just telling you. The stories haven’t broken yet, but this is going to be a way different time for free agents, be a way different time for established players. You’re going to see some major cost-cutting around the National Hockey League, major, major cost-cutting. There are people writing stories now about this team laying off these people. You’re going to see a lot more. It’s going to trickle down to player’s salaries. This is a very different time in this league. It’s not getting enough exposure right now. I completely understand because of the playoffs. No one really wants to talk about it.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Why would Pierre of all people have inside info like this?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Just a guess- but it might have something to do with connections he’s made working in and around the NHL for 30 years.

lmao

He’s not really what people would consider an insider though. He’s not a regular for breaking news and reporting things others don’t know yet.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This seems like crazy B.S. that I can't see the players going for.

Bettman says the goal is still 82 games (totally reasonable), but he doesn't want to go too far into the summer. That's an insane schedule.

A regular non-Covid season that starts in early October already goes into June with free agency starting July 1st. I mean ... how do you chop off 3 months, play 82 games, full playoffs, and not go "too far" into the summer. Can you add 4 or 6 weeks and still make that work?

They're going to play so many 3 in 4 nights ... probably weekly. They're going to have to rest veterans.

My guess is they won't expand the cap, but they'll do some sort of call up allowance for rest. The NFL expanded the practice squad rules. Maybe you can do emergency call ups, but for one year, emergency call ups don't count against the cap. They're going to have to do something to make it possible to ice full teams when there will likely be a ton of injuries and definitely a ton of rest or missed games could be needed.

In the past, if you run out of cap space, you just were forced to ice a smaller roster. That can't happen.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If they start in January they will not have an 82 game schedule not if they want to avoid a cup in the summer as well. Yeah no All-Star and all thats not enough.

You would definitely have to allow bigger rosters which to be fair would be pretty easy to do since who the hell knows what is going to happen with AHL , ECHL and CHL .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad