2019-20 San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Nice play by Sprong to set up Morand for the Gulls' first goal. By all accounts, Morand sounds like he's become a quality energy-role type player for San Diego.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Gulls fall to Griffins. Jones and Gates both with first goals of the season in their 3d games. Lundestrom with a SH assist (stripped the puck from a player and got it to DeLeo).

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The Gulls have turned things around in a hurry! They won tonight.

They started off the season 0-5-0-0 (W-L-OTL-SOL), which was October. Since then, they've gone to produce 10-4-1-0! Coach Dineen weathered the rough storm and they're on it! Great job, coach!

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Waivers will slow it down but he will get a shot imho.
Considering how some of the guys have been playing for the Ducks he should be up. Still some players deserve the call-up but the waiver situation for some on the Gulls might be the reason.

Reactions: 11Justin93

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Haven't followed much, but they've now lost 7 of the last 10. Who's following? What's going on?
I haven't been watching, but they have been missing Carrick, Comtois, Poturalski, and Sherwood for quite a while now. And now Jones, Lundestrom, and Larsson have been called up again. They are definitely not as deep/talented as they were.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
I saw the last two games in person (I was out of country for three weeks before that, so can't really comment on those games).

Tuesday, against Grand Rapids, the Gulls struggled to put passes together - the Griffins were on top of every puck, every puck-handler, and every pass recipient. The shots on goal bulge for the Griffins was embarassing, and honestly Stolarz was the only reason the Gulls even came away with the overtime point in the loss. Last night, against a far weaker team in San Jose, the Gulls were moving the puck up the ice, but as soon as it made it into the offensive zone, all scoring effectiveness just died. Once again, the shots on goal were a three-to-two margin in favor of the Barracuda, and Stolarz was the reason San Jose hadn't taken the lead before the third period. The Gulls PP did score twice, but the first PP goal was with one second remaining after a 5-on-3, and was the result of a VERY fortunate (for the Gulls) carom off of the skate of a Barracuda defender which left the puck at Pietela's feet and a yawning net. The other PP goal was with 1.6 seconds left and the Gulls having already surrendered a shorthanded empty-netter which capped off four consecutive Barracuda goals in the third period. Other than that, the PP was... uninspired and problematic, even during the five-on-three.

This lineup (as @duxfan1101 pointed out above) just doesn't have the pieces needed to effectively compete at the top level in the AHL right now, much less hold a tenuous lead against the other last-place team in the division. Tonight's matchup against 2nd-place Stockton is likely to be a slaughter -- the Heat have had the Gulls' number all season as it is, and are (along with Tucson) clearly the class of the Pacific Division at this point of the season, coming into the game with a .731 winning percentage. I'll be there tonight, but I'm predicting it'll not be much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad