2019-20 San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I was skimming through the stats and see that Wideman is leading the team in scoring as a dman. That’s pretty impressive. He is also shooting at 26% which is insane! Sprong on the other hand is shooting at 6% when his career AHL average is 13%.

I won’t comment on their on ice actual play as I’ve only caught half a gulls game this season. Hopefully Sprong can work his way back up to the big club although I’m not super hopeful at this point.

Reactions: MilesNewton

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Carrick and De Leo add goals in the 3rd, and the Gulls beat the #2 team in the AHL by the score of 6-2. According to the box score, Tucson did not even register a shot on goal in the 3rd period. Sprong, Carrick, and Comtois all had 2 point nights.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
And not surprisingly, Carrick with the first star, Sprong with the second star, and Comtois with the third star. Sprong has a pretty, sniping goal (see above for the video). Hakanpaa registered a +4. huh.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Sprong really needs to put it together. He is a type of player the Ducks lack big time. Little bit disappointed by Lundeström to be honest.

Btw I really like Benoits assist on Sprongs goal.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Sprong really needs to put it together. He is a type of player the Ducks lack big time. Little bit disappointed by Lundeström to be honest.

Btw I really like Benoits assist on Sprongs goal.

Care to elaborate more on Lundeström's play that makes him disappointed? Was it just this game or this season? I don't watch the Gulls and a lot of others don't either. So I appreciate the info you're relaying unto us. Thanks in advance. (oh and same with Sprong. Just curious if he's still ailing from his known flaws.)

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Care to elaborate more on Lundeström's play that makes him disappointed? Was it just this game or this season? I don't watch the Gulls and a lot of others don't either. So I appreciate the info you're relaying unto us. Thanks in advance. (oh and same with Sprong. Just curious if he's still ailing from his known flaws.)

He is solid but not more. I hoped for a stronger output too. I just expected more.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He is solid but not more. I hoped for a stronger output too. I just expected more.
Me too, but it is his first full NA season. Steel at this age was still in juniors. We have to give Lundy this and next year for the AHL to fully develop.

Reactions: Masch78

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
And not surprisingly, Carrick with the first star, Sprong with the second star, and Comtois with the third star. Sprong has a pretty, sniping goal (see above for the video). Hakanpaa registered a +4. huh.
Sprong looks a little cocky but I guess that's what you want in a sniper.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I'll take it! He's only one month into being a 20 year old (meaning he started this year in the AHL as a 19-year old). Plus, he's still becoming acclimated on NA ice (where last year all the chip fell into place on Olympic ice and playing in the same system for three seasons with SHL Lulea).

It's my opinion that the Ducks kinda screwed the pooch on Isac due to the mass injuries to start the season last year that forced him into the lineup. Defensively, he was more reliable than whoever we had at the time at center. That was a good note for him, but a bad note for the organization long term as he lost his eligibility to slide as he played beyond 10 NHL games. With the acquisition of Shore and Grant during the season last year, the constant improvement of Steel, as well as a healthy Getzlaf, the organization can take their time with the young Lundestrom. He's in good hands with coach Dineen in San Diego.

To put things into age perspective, Steel and Jones will be turning 22 in Februrary. Steel and Jones were playing last year in the AHL as 20 year olds turning 21 year olds during the season. Lundestrom is a 19 year old turning 20 year old during this season.

I'll take solid production from a 19/20-year old center, remembering he outlasted Steel's last year at the NHL level to begin the season. And if Lundestrom continues his trend of slowly acclimating to his league, then in a year or two we might see him blossom like he did last year with Lulea of the SHL. Isac has been playing in the SHL as a 16-year old, which is why he looks like he's behind the curve. His defensive acumen and skating betrays a normal progression of a prospect.

As long as Lundestrom isn't regressing, then I'm happy for the time being. Looking at his stats last year, he flourished across the pond offensively, but struggled on NA ice. Isac just needs more time to develop on NA ice as well as get stronger, he just turned 20.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Surprised Kopacka is sent down. Will be interesting to follow, hopefully he dominates there

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’m pretty surprised also. Maybe they’re sending him down to get more ice time. He’s a guy who does have some potential to play in a checking/energy role one day.

Reactions: Kalv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad