2019/20 Roster Thread XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
To clarify there is a hard limit on how much I can do, too, because otherwise I cripple myself for days. So gaining and improving is a tricky thing.

And sometimes I cripple myself for days by sitting in a recliner the wrong way.

What I learned in my 30s was to stop trying to gain, and learn to maintain.
That is, don't push your body to the max but find a level of workout that you can maintain indefinitely as you age.
I'm still doing the same routine at 65 I was at 45 (replacing swimming with long walks with the dog), high intensity intervals on the exercise bike (no more running b/c the knees start going), inclined sit ups/leg lifts, pushups, same weights with 15-20 reps instead of heavier weights.
Goal is to maintain strength and stamina without tearing anything.

The biggest difference is I've become religious about stretching every day or I cramp up at night.
Second difference as I age is I have to pace myself, give myself time to recover after a workout or long walk.
You can slow how fast you decline with age, but you can't stop aging.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I put down a new floor in the fiancees house this weekend, and on monday, i felt like i had been run over by a truck, so i get it.

Yeah. If I'm gonna be doing a day of manual labor I go ahead and halt workouts for 3-4 days in advance so I'm fresh.

It's a weird limbo. If I don't workout, I don't really lose much. On the other hand, it takes a lot of careful training to improve on what I can do.

I'm going to be disgruntled when that situation ends and the result is that I lose what I've done, and it's harder to improve.

Reactions: Starat327

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If Bunnaman keeps playing the way he has the last few games, "what hole?"
And I wouldn't get excited about Patrick until his 3rd or 4th AHL game.

You know as well as I do that the minute Nolan Patrick hits the ice in the AHL, he is going to get destroyed by some moron trying to prove something and we will never see him again. Because Flyers.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That is, don't push your body to the max but find a level of workout that you can maintain indefinitely as you age.
I'm still doing the same routine at 65 I was at 45 (replacing swimming with long walks with the dog), high intensity intervals on the exercise bike (no more running b/c the knees start going), inclined sit ups/leg lifts, pushups, same weights with 15-20 reps instead of heavier weights.

The biggest difference is I've become religious about stretching every day or I cramp up at night.
Second difference as I age is I have to pace myself, give myself time to recover after a workout or long walk.

Yep that's what I've settled on. The final resignation was admitting that I can't run anymore, which was aided by my doctor telling me that she is banning me from that activity. More than any other activity, that's the one where I push further than I should and the result was always injury and a trip to the doc. By walking or doing various body weight exercises, I can push myself a little without overdoing it. I lose my mind when I run and just wreck myself because in the moment I forget I'm not a decade younger.

Stretching is the best. Just the best. It fixes so many problems.

Reactions: Here4ThaList

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm 34 and still kind of cruising in that "prime" thing. My school load was too heavy to even have time to sneak workouts in for 8 weeks. A total of 12 weeks later I expected that my workouts would be absolutely abysmal, but I practically picked up where I left off. I remember in my teenage and early 20 years that I basically had to workout year-round to maintain a level, so picking up where I had been was still a surprise. It's interesting stuff. On the other side of the coin, recovery is a lot worse these days so even if I tried to work out intensively year-round I'd likely end up injuring myself. As is personal tradition anyhow.

It's a shame that's all likely to come crashing down hard and fast any day now. Probably the second I hit 35.

Watching Ovechkin hit a possible 60 goal pace again is pretty insane for his age. I also wonder if Bobrovsky still follows the insane workout schedule he did when he was young; he's old enough now that the benefits might be overshadowed by the effects of fatigue. Or maybe he's another outlier like Jagr.

I will be 35 in July and my metabolism has ceased to exist in the past 6 months or so. I gain the exact weight of any object I eat so I have to limit my calorie intake to 1500 or less 5 days a week or I will turn into a blimp.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
plz elaborate, using graphs and charts where appropriate.

m7IyIhL.png

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I will be 35 in July and my metabolism has ceased to exist in the past 6 months or so. I gain the exact weight of any object I eat so I have to limit my calorie intake to 1500 or less 5 days a week or I will turn into a blimp.

I like this as I just walked back form LaScallas with an order of cheese fries and a chicken cheesesteak. I wont be able to eat for like two days now.

Reactions: Rebels57

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I can second this, although replace both the workouts and the interval intensity with sitting around. I have found that sitting around doing nothing is the easiest thing to maintain.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

I've found that my 30s had the best gains, but I also wasn't as dedicated at powerlifting as I was in my 30s.

Peaked at 405# deadlift, 245# bench, and 315# squat. I had lots of ebbs and flows over the years, and was able to at least maintain those numbers into my early 40s, but now at 44, I'm seeing dips, more frequent stiffness, and just lower energy overall.

Kinda sucks, but I've accepted reality and now just maintain. Deadlift has dropped to about 385#, 205# bench, and 280# squat.

I'm with you on the stretching - I try and do deep yoga stretches 2-3 times per week. More pre-workout cardio, dynamic stretching.

My biggest problem is I don't eat enough.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I've found that my 30s had the best gains, but I also wasn't as dedicated at powerlifting as I was in my 30s.

Peaked at 405# deadlift, 245# bench, and 315# squat. I had lots of ebbs and flows over the years, and was able to at least maintain those numbers into my early 40s, but now at 44, I'm seeing dips, more frequent stiffness, and just lower energy overall.

Kinda sucks, but I've accepted reality and now just maintain. Deadlift has dropped to about 385#, 205# bench, and 280# squat.

I'm with you on the stretching - I try and do deep yoga stretches 2-3 times per week. More pre-workout cardio, dynamic stretching.

My biggest problem is I don't eat enough.

Those are real solid numbers at that age man. Keeping up that sort of lifting with responsible stretching and joint maintenance will keep you moving well for a really long time.

:wally:

I just turned 30. Hurt my back for the first time at work about a month ago. Nothing serious just a badly pulled muscle. Started using my physio and chiro benefits for the first time and they have been great.

Just got back in the gym yesterday, I was surprised as how well it went after a month off. Also my first skate tonight after a month off, that should be interesting.

Definitely to all the younger guys on here. If you have physio benefits get in there and use them. The more ahead of all that stuff you can get at a young age the better.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Those are real solid numbers at that age man. Keeping up that sort of lifting with responsible stretching and joint maintenance will keep you moving well for a really long time.

:wally:

I just turned 30. Hurt my back for the first time at work about a month ago. Nothing serious just a badly pulled muscle. Started using my physio and chiro benefits for the first time and they have been great.

Just got back in the gym yesterday, I was surprised as how well it went after a month off. Also my first skate tonight after a month off, that should be interesting.

Definitely to all the younger guys on here. If you have physio benefits get in there and use them. The more ahead of all that stuff you can get at a young age the better.

Do you do any kind of deadlifts? Honestly, once I discovered that, I realized that it is the best bang for buck lift you can do to maintain back, core, leg strength - which helps avoid overcompensation from other muscles for those of us who have sedentary jobs. I used to have lower back soreness all the time in my late 20s, early 30s because I was sitting down all day for work. Once I started deadlifting, everything changed.

I felt good about my bench at my age until I saw a buddy recently. We grew up together, about same height (5'10"), but he is without exaggerating about a foot thicker than I am lol.

He was benching beside me.... doing 365# for reps of 5! Didn't even look gassed. Mind you, he is in the middle of training for a powerlift meet, but man, at that age, that's impressive. Hell, that's impressive at any age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad