2019/20 Roster Thread XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
So every single lineup decision is followed by Fletcher to a clear-cut degree based entirely on AV's wishes? Seems a bit of an absolutist statement, given quotes that have come out about the lineup assured to be in a lot of flux in the early season, and you know, the injuries and the cap and the waivers and all that.
Fletcher convinced AV to come here and I'm sure he will let him pick his lineup for now. Of course they talk about it but CF isn't going to micromanage AV. This isn't Hextall bringing in a nobody that he can control and make every decision.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This Voracek stuff isn't "accountability".

If AV were holding players accountable and playing them based on their quality of play then Voracek wouldn't have played less than Hagg last game, Hagg wouldn't be in the lineup at all, Ghost wouldn't be on the third pair, and there would be a whole handful of other changes.

This accountability stuff only works if you're consistent. Otherwise it's just excuses for coaching nonsense. If Voracek messes up and you want to punish him then you have to do it when others screw up too, especially when Voracek regularly makes up for his mistakes and others rarely do.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I love how to some anyone with a different opinion or perspective is “stupid” & must be put on ignore. Sure hope those who do aren’t also big proponents of diversity, because the hypocrisy is laughable, as is calling me “stupid.” Pretty obvious I’m not an idiot, even if you have different opinions.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
This Voracek stuff isn't "accountability".

If AV were holding players accountable and playing them based on their quality of play then Voracek wouldn't have played less than Hagg last game, Hagg wouldn't be in the lineup at all, Ghost wouldn't be on the third pair, and there would be a whole handful of other changes.

This accountability stuff only works if you're consistent. Otherwise it's just excuses for coaching nonsense. If Voracek messes up and you want to punish him then you have to do it when others screw up too, especially when Voracek regularly makes up for his mistakes and others rarely do.

I highly doubt Jake and Haag have the same level of expectations from the coach hence diff levels of accountability.

Jake was awful and his toi reflected that.
I was blowing bubbles in a bar, did Haag not have the lowest TOI for D men ? Cause he should have as he was the worst D man, and Jake was the worst top 9 fwd.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I highly doubt Jake and Haag have the same level of expectations from the coach hence diff levels of accountability.

I was blowing bubbles in a bar, did Haag not have the lowest TOI for D men ? Cause he should have as he was the worst D man, and Jake was the worst top 9 fwd.
Hagg is only averaging 16:10/game. Easily last among the D. And he’s been fine as a #6. The fixation on him is ludicrous.

Reactions: Beretta 390

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Expectations don’t matter, they’re subjective and imaginary, what players actually do on the ice is what matters. You don’t play Voracek less than inferior players just because you expect him to be better than he’s currently playing. Jake playing at a fraction of his potential is still better than many players at their best and we have a better chance of winning games with him than without him. Especially when his issue isn’t effort or anything like that. Benching him doesn’t fix anything.

This is a huge exaggeration about Jakes “awful play” anyway, but I’m not getting into a debate about his performance with you.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Of all the players on this team, Voracek is one of the last one's I'm concerned about. The guy has been doing the same thing for like 8 straight seasons, I'll be shocked if he doesn't put up 20 goals and 40+ assists this year.

That said, if he's having a rough game and JVR is playing well, which was the case the other night, I don't mind them swapping for one game. JVR probably deserved to have two goals and he's looking a lot more like the strong possession player he was in Toronto than the abysmal possession player he was last year, probably because he's healthy.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Of all the players on this team, Voracek is one of the last one's I'm concerned about. The guy has been doing the same thing for like 8 straight seasons, I'll be shocked if he doesn't put up 20 goals and 40+ assists this year.

And every year the same people have complained about the same things while he continues to rack up the points. I believe he's 15th in franchise history right now.

In the end, Voracek will always annoy some people but remain a clear net positive, which is what matters.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Expectations don’t matter, they’re subjective and imaginary, what players actually do on the ice is what matters. You don’t play Voracek less than inferior players just because you expect him to be better than he’s currently playing. Jake playing at a fraction of his potential is still better than many players at their best and we have a better chance of winning games with him than without him. Especially when his issue isn’t effort or anything like that. Benching him doesn’t fix anything.

This is a huge exaggeration about Jakes “awful play” anyway, but I’m not getting into a debate about his performance with you.

I’ve yet to say anything critical. If you don’t think he was bad last game that’s your opinion.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

That said, if he's having a rough game and JVR is playing well, which was the case the other night, I don't mind them swapping for one game. JVR probably deserved to have two goals and he's looking a lot more like the strong possession player he was in Toronto than the abysmal possession player he was last year, probably because he's healthy.

Perfect post, he had a bad game and his toi was reduced. Some think that should not happen

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
did Isaac miss the memo that said its 2019 and not 2014 regarding Stewart? Why do so many hockey beats love these suckass players?
Being a jackass troll probably fits the bill with him.
Stewart scored 10 goals in 54 games in 17/18 averaging a little over 10 minutes a game.

I’m reading wayyyy too many exaggerations about his supposed lack of skill.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
did Isaac miss the memo that said its 2019 and not 2014 regarding Stewart? Why do so many hockey beats love these suckass players?
Being a jackass troll probably fits the bill with him.

It’s easier for guys like Isaac & Meltzer to be critical of a nameless group of fans than it is an individual player, coach, or executive

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Pat Maroon could play 14:10 a night for a Stanley Cup winning team, I'm sure Stewart could play in the NHL.
It would be a good question which player would win in a 20 yard sprint.
That being said, I'd rather him play for another team.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Has Hagg been terrible overall? No, but he’s made a couple of horrible plays every game. Overall, he’s been mediocre at best. What ticks me off is that there are better options.

First you have Myers. Myers will likely make some mistakes now and then, but unlike Hagg, he’ll also make some good plays and might even make a play or two that actually leads to a goal. Secondly, there’s Morin. The big guy will be a little rusty and will also make some mistakes, but, unlike anyone else in the lineup, he’ll bring some straight up mean to the team, and overall won’t be any worse a player than Hagg.

Plus either of them (especially Myers) would be a better partner for Ghost. You have better options, choose one.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Stewart scored 10 goals in 54 games in 17/18 averaging a little over 10 minutes a game.

And yet not a single NHL team wanted any part of him in 18-19, nor is anyone other than Fletcher showing any interest him now.

Oh and let’s not forget the so-so numbers he put last season in a league that’s not as good as the ECHL. Thanks for playing, have a nice day.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Has Hagg been terrible overall? No, but he’s made a couple of horrible plays every game. Overall, he’s been mediocre at best. What ticks me off is that there are better options.

First you have Myers. Myers will likely make some mistakes now and then, but unlike Hagg, he’ll also make some good plays and might even make a play or two that actually leads to a goal. Secondly, there’s Morin. The big guy will be a little rusty and will also make some mistakes, but, unlike anyone else in the lineup, he’ll bring some straight up mean to the team, and overall won’t be any worse a player than Hagg.

Plus either of them (especially Myers) would be a better partner for Ghost. You have better options, choose one.

So you're basically saying AV's an idiot?
Because he got to see Morin and Hagg, who are basically the same player (big, with limited offensive skills) in preseason and choose to go with Hagg.

Myers is a different issue, the NHL isn't a developmental league and his game needs polishing.
And I think AV wanted to send him a message, that his job wasn't guaranteed.
I'm sure AV would prefer Myers with his head on straight over Morin or Hagg.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Because he got to see Morin and Hagg, who are basically the same player (big, with limited offensive skills) in preseason and choose to go with Hagg.

Myers is a different issue, the NHL isn't a developmental league and his game needs polishing.
An idiot? No. A typical coach making the “safe” pick at the expense of a better one? Yup

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

The NHL is absolutely a development league.

We're all painfully aware of what Hagg is at this point--an ineffective 7th D. Morin at least has some upside for the bottom pair. He'd be a more active defenseman, even if he's just slightly more effective than below average.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Voracek needs to be driving a line where he's free to hog the puck and try high-risk plays. There's a reason Giroux-Voracek was awful despite the team trying to make it work for years. AV is new and I guess hasn't learned that lesson yet (he's also a moron, which doesn't help).

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Voracek needs to be driving a line where he's free to hog the puck and try high-risk plays. There's a reason Giroux-Voracek was awful despite the team trying to make it work for years. AV is new and I guess hasn't learned that lesson yet (he's also a moron, which doesn't help).

Voracek-Giroux was never an awful combo. The last time they were put together, they were part of the best line in the league. They were only split up to balance lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad