2019/20 Roster Thread XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Voracek-Giroux was never an awful combo. The last time they were put together, they were part of the best line in the league. They were only split up to balance lines.
They were an even strength disaster throughout their career compared to how they performed apart. It's statistically proven.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/flyers-breaking-top-line-monday-vs-calgary-flames

There’s been so much bad karma lately, that it’s come time to break up the one positive on this Flyers team.
Head coach Dave Hakstol has elected to split up his trio of Claude Giroux, Sean Couturier and Jakub Voracek, a line that has generated 43 percent of the team's offensive production at even strength, including an NHL-leading 25 goals between them.

All 3 of Giroux, Coots and Voracek were on pace for career years. Voracek had 7 goals and 26 assists in 27 games -- a 100-point pace. As noted, the line was leading the league in even-strength goals.

Reactions: Tripod

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
2013-14 xGF
Giroux with Voracek 54.2%
Giroux without Voracek 39.9%

2014-15
Giroux with Voracek 53.7%
Giroux without Voracek 42.1%

2015-16
Giroux with Voracek 51.7%
Giroux without Voraek 46.3%

2016-17
Giroux with Voracek 39.0%
Giroux without Voracek 45.0%

2017-18
Giroux with Voracek 65.8%
Giroux without Voracek 61.7%

2018-19
Giroux with Voracek 53.1%
Giroux without Voracek 50.6%

In 5 out of 6 years, Giroux-Voracek are markedly better together than they are apart.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
For the "Hagg has not been terrible crowd"

Screenshot_20191014-170041_Chrome.jpg

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
2013-14 xGF

2014-15

2015-16

2016-17

2017-18

2018-19

In 5 out of 6 years, Giroux-Voracek are markedly better together than they are apart.

But this is just, like, one stat,..... man

Reactions: Adtar02

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
If Pat Maroon could play 14:10 a night for a Stanley Cup winning team, I'm sure Stewart could play in the NHL.
It would be a good question which player would win in a 20 yard sprint.
That being said, I'd rather him play for another team.

Maroon was actually a positive possession player for the Blues last year, and has been most of his career. Stewart hasn't been plus since 2011.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Do you know how you stop being the best play driving team in hockey?

A three game sample is apparently enough for him to feel better about possibly making the roster worse.

I get they’re going to do what they’re going to do & it’s a league wide problem but a bad idea is a bad idea no matter what you have to tell yourself to justify it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who exactly is Stewart going to play over?

He's certainly not as good as Pitlick.
Twarynski outplayed him by a wide margin.
When Patrick comes back, Raffl goes back to LW and Bunnaman probably goes back to LHV.

So even if they sign him, it would be for a few cameos (a la Goul) and a lot of time collecting splinters.

"What, me worry?"

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Stewart will play ahead of Bunnaman. Big deal. He's better than Bunnaman. He'll be a scratch if the team is healthy and Farabee keeps banging down the door in the AHL and/or Patrick ever comes back.

Laughton is a guy who's in a tenuous position if Patrick comes back and Farabee keeps it up.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
2013-14 xGF

2014-15

2015-16

2016-17

2017-18

2018-19

I don’t think anyone is under the belief they’re bad together. I would mention that their time pre-17/18 was with Giroux at center, and they almost exclusively were together to affect the WOWY. Little different dynamic. Afterwards, their time was with Couturier, who is a straight analytical savage. Except for Giroux’s month at center which somewhat cratered his overall stats.

My point being: Couturier is awesome sauce and can make anything hum, but both at wing on the same line feels like too much overlap with Hayes, who is also incredibly pass first. Couturier is a much more natural scorer than him, which compliments better.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I don’t think anyone is under the belief they’re bad together. I would mention that their time pre-17/18 was with Giroux at center, and they almost exclusively were together to affect the WOWY. Little different dynamic. Afterwards, their time was with Couturier, who is a straight analytical savage. Except for Giroux’s month at center which somewhat cratered his overall stats.

My point being: Couturier is awesome sauce and can make anything hum, but both at wing on the same line feels like too much overlap with Hayes, who is also incredibly pass first. Couturier is a much more natural scorer than him, which compliments better.

The post I was replying to definitely implies that they were bad together.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I was a proponent of reuniting the Giroux-Couturier-Voracek line, which was arguably the best line in hockey when they were together to start the season a couple years ago.

The success of the Lindblom-Couturier-Konecny, line, though, makes me reconsider. I don't think you can mess with that right now.

But someone definitely said Giroux and Voracek have never worked well together, which is flat-out wrong.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I was a proponent of reuniting the Giroux-Couturier-Voracek line, which was arguably the best line in hockey when they were together to start the season a couple years ago.

The success of the Lindblom-Couturier-Konecny, line, though, makes me reconsider. I don't think you can mess with that right now.

But someone definitely said Giroux and Voracek have never worked well together, which is flat-out wrong.

I fully agree. That line combo is pure dynamite right now. Your ride it as long as they keep racking up the points and the team as a whole keeps a winning record.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I fully agree. That line combo is pure dynamite right now. Your ride it as long as they keep racking up the points and the team as a whole keeps a winning record.

Yeah, you can't screw with that line. Couturier and TK are their two best forwards right now, and that line is absolutely dominant.

I'd give JVR a full game with Hayes and G, though I wouldn't be surprised if AV went back to Jak. And that's fine, too, if the benching lit a fire under his ass. Otherwise, Jak can play with Laughton and Twar until he rounds into better form.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Is it just me or are there any actual arguments in favor of Stewart? Seriously, all I see is "why not" and "it's not a big deal," but I have yet to see anyone make a case - forget compelling, just a case - that says "here is what he brings and how he makes the team better." It's all deflection and emotion, not a bit of rational thought being applied.

As for the writers, I strongly suspect this is yet another case of "hey I know this guy. He's cool and I'd like to see him have a job." And anyone who doesn't buy in is being mean to their friend.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Yeah, you can't screw with that line. Couturier and TK are their two best forwards right now, and that line is absolutely dominant.

I'd give JVR a full game with Hayes and G, though I wouldn't be surprised if AV went back to Jak. And that's fine, too, if the benching lit a fire under his ass. Otherwise, Jak can play with Laughton and Twar until he rounds into better form.
Poor Hayes getting f***in over by the old slower players that have been here.

BlackandOrange

Jul 12, 2018
Breadalbane, PE
I love me some Jake, as he is a lock for 60+ points, and 75+ GP, but boy is he Alexei Kovalev. It is like some games he shows up as Ladislav Nagy and other games as unstoppable Jagr.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Is it just me or are there any actual arguments in favor of Stewart? Seriously, all I see is "why not" and "it's not a big deal," but I have yet to see anyone make a case - forget compelling, just a case - that says "here is what he brings and how he makes the team better." It's all deflection and emotion, not a bit of rational thought being applied.

As for the writers, I strongly suspect this is yet another case of "hey I know this guy. He's cool and I'd like to see him have a job." And anyone who doesn't buy in is being mean to their friend.

Stewart would immediately be a bottom 10 forward in the NHL if signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad