2019/20 Roster Thread XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Stewart will play ahead of Bunnaman. Big deal. He's better than Bunnaman. He'll be a scratch if the team is healthy and Farabee keeps banging down the door in the AHL and/or Patrick ever comes back.

Laughton is a guy who's in a tenuous position if Patrick comes back and Farabee keeps it up.
Stewart is not better than Bunny. Nor is he better than Frost, Farabee, Rubtsov, Vorobyev, NAK or just about any forward in LHV. Did you not see him in preseason? He simply cannot keep up with the pace of play anymore. And that was preseason pace of play.

It’s why no other NHL GM other than Fletcher has shown the slightest bit of interest in him for over a year.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Yeah, you can't screw with that line. Couturier and TK are their two best forwards right now, and that line is absolutely dominant.

I'd give JVR a full game with Hayes and G, though I wouldn't be surprised if AV went back to Jak. And that's fine, too, if the benching lit a fire under his ass. Otherwise, Jak can play with Laughton and Twar until he rounds into better form.

Honestly, there's no harm in trying G/Hayes/JVR as you suggest. Whether we have a $7M player on the 3rd line or an $8M player, it's basically the same thing. And Jake might end up being more useful on the 3rd - or put another way, he might help that line generate offense more than JVR would.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Stewart is not better than Bunny. Nor is he better than Frost, Farabee, Rubtsov, Vorobyev, NAK or just about any forward in LHV. Did you not see him in preseason? He simply cannot keep up with the pace of play anymore. And that was preseason pace of play.

It’s why no other NHL GM other than Fletcher has shown the slightest bit of interest in him for over a year.

*IF* they sign him to be the 13th who can fill in for injuries, it's probably fine.

If he dresses regularly, then it's probably not fine.

FWIW, AV was not a fan of Stewart in the BTG series. So I'd be very surprised if Stewart became part of the starting 12.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Everytime I read how Stewart as a 12/13th is fine, I keep picturing @Striiker and his 'stages of clown paint' meme, and how terribly accurate it's been.
62f5f5606e7c72e9de190725b00fda91.png

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Reality check, Voracek pulling his head out of his ass and playing up to his talent is far more important to this team than Bunnaman or Stewart for 8 minutes a night.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Reality check, Voracek pulling his head out of his ass and playing up to his talent is far more important to this team than Bunnaman or Stewart for 8 minutes a night.

Then maybe the team should focus on fixing that issue instead of surrounding the players with EIHL level talent. Having bigger problems doesnt make smaller problems not problems.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015

I really like Jake. I met him in summer, he is great person. So sorry, Jake, but I like AV more and more. He wants accountability from all players and it's good sign. And I still trust in you, Jake, no worry. Good luck tomorrow and get your first points in this season!

Yup u are right, I love AV’s accountability. You dont perform, You sit. Voracek, talentwise, is head and shoulders above any other player on the roster. You name it....best puck posession player, best stick handler, 2nd best passer, has very good speed.

His struggles can only mean laziness, lack of focus or injury. No one that talented should struggle as often as he does.

Reactions: NYCFlyer

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Technically, I'm in a work chair. But yeah, it's not hard.

O'Connor's Observations: How seriously should we take the...

That said, the Flyers’ best lineup probably doesn’t include Stewart, who hasn’t been a needle-mover by the numbers since 2015-16. The lineup’s current holes are obvious: The team could use an upgrade on the third pair and more juice on the fourth line. It’s not hard to play armchair GM and “solve” those problems: Recall Myers and bench Robert Hägg, call up Joel Farabee (who has two goals in his first two AHL games as a 19-year-old) and put him on Line 3, move Twarynski down to Line 4 and demote Bunnaman, who at times has looked overwhelmed with NHL pace. Simple as that.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Not even Meltzer has tried to ball polish this move (yet). Just one joke Tweet.

Congrats on being Head Flyers Apologist for the day, Charlie.

He must've heard there was an opening on the flyers media team coming up, and figured the more he copied Meltzer from a few years back, the better his chances were of getting the gig.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
CF hasn't updated yet if you want to take one last look at a Flyers roster without Stewart in the FORWARDS category.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If they take a look at Frost or Farabee, I'll bet it will be at home when AV has the last change and can protect them.
On the road to start their NHL careers? Ain't happening.

Myers isn't coming back until he shows he's learned what they were trying to teach him.
He was written is as the 6th D-man before TC started, he really had to screw the pooch to lose that job.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Yup u are right, I love AV’s accountability. You dont perform, You sit. Voracek, talentwise, is head and shoulders above any other player on the roster. You name it....best puck posession player, best stick handler, 2nd best passer, has very good speed.

His struggles can only mean laziness, lack of focus or injury. No one that talented should struggle as often as he does.
I'm prepared to let Jake slide for the Van game. On the Sportsnet telecast, they said several of the Flyers were sick, and speculated that JV was one of them, given his uncharacteristic turnovers and move down the lineup.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA

Yep. We have so much goddamn wing depth that we should be looking to make a big trade and yet we sign some godawful bum who apparently cared SOOOOO much about making the NHL that he was completely out of shape when he came to camp.

f*** Stewart; fighters with no talent don't deserve an inkling of the benefits of an NHL contract.

edit: It's like going to a f***ing job interview for a management position in an industry that you're unfamiliar with and saying that you didn't even bother to do any research prior and yet randomly get awarded the job over the 4 other experienced and qualified candidates behind you.

Last edited:
Reactions: BiggE and Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We don't have that much depth RIGHT NOW;

Patrick - "injured"
Bunnaman - AHL center out of place at LW
Twarynski - solid 4LW candidate currently playing 3RW
Raffl - end of career solid role player
Pitlick - solid 4RW when healthy, of course, Neuvirth was a solid goalie when healthy

Farabee, Frost - highly talented prospects who are physically underdeveloped
Rubtsov - NHL ready body, but little professional experience
Vorobyev - underacheiver who lacks intensity for bottom six role
NAK - 4th liner who needs work on puck skills, instincts
Kase - injured? (has yet to play for LHV)
Ratcliffe - a year or two away, needs to fill out and improve his skills
Strome - needs to make jet pack skates legal.
Sushko - could be the next Twarynski

Point is with Patrick out, we're a bit thin on the third line and the 4th liners are somewhat interchangeable.

Now, check back in December - this could change drastically.
I can easily see them starting the New Year with this lineup:

Lindblom - Couts - TK
Giroux - Hayes - Voracek
JVR - Patrick/Frost - Farabee
Laughton - Rubtsov - Twarynski

Provorov - Braun
Sanheim - Niskanen
Ghost - Myers

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
We don't have that much depth RIGHT NOW;

Patrick - "injured"
Bunnaman - AHL center out of place at LW
Twarynski - solid 4LW candidate currently playing 3RW
Raffl - end of career solid role player
Pitlick - solid 4RW when healthy, of course, Neuvirth was a solid goalie when healthy

Farabee, Frost - highly talented prospects who are physically underdeveloped
Rubtsov - NHL ready body, but little professional experience
Vorobyev - underacheiver who lacks intensity for bottom six role
NAK - 4th liner who needs work on puck skills, instincts
Kase - injured? (has yet to play for LHV)
Ratcliffe - a year or two away, needs to fill out and improve his skills
Strome - needs to make jet pack skates legal.
Sushko - could be the next Twarynski

Point is with Patrick out, we're a bit thin on the third line and the 4th liners are somewhat interchangeable.

Now, check back in December - this could change drastically.
I can easily see them starting the New Year with this lineup:

Lindblom - Couts - TK
Giroux - Hayes - Voracek
JVR - Patrick/Frost - Farabee
Laughton - Rubtsov - Twarynski

Provorov - Braun
Sanheim - Niskanen
Ghost - Myers

I'd agree with you completely if I wasn't conditioned to have terrible expectations.

Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad