2019/20 Roster Thread XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Myers >>>>> Hägg

Everyone knows that expect deadhead. End of story.
I'm sure he knows that too. But it's not that simple. Myers is part of the long term plans. You want to send the right message to a player like him when he's not meeting expectations.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
I'm sure he knows that too. But it's not that simple. Myers is part of the long term plans. You want to send the right message to a player like him when he's not meeting expectations.
Myers should be part of a main team already NOW. Instead Hagg. EVERY f***ING DAY. He is better than Hagg today and will be forever.

Reactions: dag54 and BiggE

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Myers should be part of a main team already NOW. Instead Hagg. EVERY ****ING DAY. He is better than Hagg today and will be forever.
But he's not been as good as he should be. They wanted to give him something to think about. Make sure he knows he doesn't own a spot just because he's young and talented.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
2018-19

Ghost - Hagg CA 64.33/60 - 2.07 minutes a game
Ghost - Myers CA 59.15/60 - 9.07 minutes a game

Hagg - Gudas 70.62
Hagg - McDonald 67.21
Hagg - Folin 66.81
Hagg - Provorov 64.94

The moral of the story is don't put Hagg on the same pair with Gudas.

5 shot attempts in 60 minutes is 1.25 per 15 minutes/per game or 100 a year.
But these are attempts, not shots, so the scoring % is about 5-6% (half are blocked, etc.).
So we're talking 5-6 goals per year maximum.

However, Corsi is less informative than xGA, since a lot of Corsi attempts are low probability.

Ghost - Myers - xGA 2.81/60
Ghost - Hagg - xGA/2.39/60

Hagg - Gudas 2.86
Hagg - McDonald 3.35
Hagg - Folin 2.59
Hagg - Provorov 2.51

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
giphy.gif

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
But he's not been as good as he should be. They wanted to give him something to think about. Make sure he knows he doesn't own a spot just because he's young and talented.
WTF? It would be not due to he's young and talented, but because of HE IS BETTER THAN HÄGG. Is it so hard to understand this fact???

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You have different expectations for different players and thus different development paths.

Frost and Farabee are more talented than Bunnaman and Twarynski, so why would Fletcher and AV send them down?
Because they'll play more at LHV, and with the early schedule, they'd be Pinatas on the 3rd or 4th line as they adjusted to NHL play.
Now I'll lay odds that both will be in the top nine by January.

Myers is more talented than Hagg, but he's also been very erratic, I'm sure they'll lean on Myers to simplify his game and not try to do too much, because in the NHL he's not going to be top dog, he'll be on the 3rd pair. And paired with Ghost, he's going to have primarily a defensive role to start, so he has to be reliable more than flashy.

You see this all over the NHL, when in doubt, send 'em down to the AHL for some seasoning.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Wasn’t Hagg out of position quite a few times this season already? Ghost covers the D zone more in that scenario. That might explain some of his lack of offensive output.

As Tripod said he’s always moving up. Going to the net front which is obviously great to see for D but ghost is stuck. I do think he’s lost a little lateral movement that made him so shift at the point. He also hasn’t been able to get the pucks through, but I think that’s just game planning for him which should open things up lower down. Maybe he should look into some no look shot passes.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
WTF? It would be not due to he's young and talented, but because of HE IS BETTER THAN HÄGG. Is it so hard to understand this fact???
Why do you think they sent Myers down? Bad attitude, cap issues, not picking up the system, not responding to coaching? AV wants to win, is highly experienced and not stupid. Myers would be there if AV really wanted him.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Why do you think they sent Myers down? Bad attitude, cap issues, not picking up the system, not responding to coaching? AV wants to win, is highly experienced and not stupid. Myers would be there if AV really wanted him.
So every single lineup decision is followed by Fletcher to a clear-cut degree based entirely on AV's wishes? Seems a bit of an absolutist statement, given quotes that have come out about the lineup assured to be in a lot of flux in the early season, and you know, the injuries and the cap and the waivers and all that.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Genuinely curious about Ghost.

He looks ... different. Not sure how to explain other than that.

On the one hand, he seems to be making more deft defensive plays. And he's great at disrupting the rush coming the other way.

On the other, I don't know, he just doesn't seem to be as dynamic offensively. There are still nice passes and plays, but the dynamic part of it is missing. I remember both his rookie year and then his other great year, he'd make something happen on just about every shift. Maybe he's picking his spots better?

Same with the PP really. He doesn't appear to be a threat from the point.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it, and he's become a more rounded defenseman.

It's only 3 games in, so time will tell I guess.

He's playing with Hagg.

How much evidence of Hagg dragging his partner through the mud do we need before we stop criticizing his unfortunate partners?

I mean, you saw Ghost with Braun in preseason right? Completely different and IMO our best player most nights.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Only for the right price though. He's not overpaid, even if he never reaches his peak again.
I’m sure the league knows, too. You can see it in the way teams attack him now. The trade return probably wouldn’t be what a lot of Ghost fans think he’s worth. But I’d still be testing the market in case.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's playing with Hagg.

How much evidence of Hagg dragging his partner through the mud do we need before we stop criticizing his unfortunate partners?

I mean, you saw Ghost with Braun in preseason right? Completely different and IMO our best player most nights.

Actually, I thought Ghost looked tentative in preseason and posted that in one game review.
Now is that physical or mental (adjusting to a new system)? I saw flashes of the old Ghost, but not on a consistent basis.

I don't think Hagg is the issue, for example, can't blame him for Ghost's inability to get shots on net.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You have different expectations for different players and thus different development paths.

Frost and Farabee are more talented than Bunnaman and Twarynski, so why would Fletcher and AV send them down?
Because they'll play more at LHV, and with the early schedule, they'd be Pinatas on the 3rd or 4th line as they adjusted to NHL play.
Now I'll lay odds that both will be in the top nine by January.

Myers is more talented than Hagg, but he's also been very erratic, I'm sure they'll lean on Myers to simplify his game and not try to do too much, because in the NHL he's not going to be top dog, he'll be on the 3rd pair. And paired with Ghost, he's going to have primarily a defensive role to start, so he has to be reliable more than flashy.

You see this all over the NHL, when in doubt, send 'em down to the AHL for some seasoning.

So the standard for Hagg is that he plays forever and never gets benched because he's so bad?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Exactly. It’s not simply about who is more physically talented. You also have to play the game. Too many posters judge players based solely on natural talent regardless of how they execute. Well, coaches care a hell of a lot about execution. And Myers’ execution was terrible in the preseason. He needs to simplify his game, as he’s going to be a defense-first player in the NHL. No coach is going to dismiss a 6’5” athletic defenseman he thinks will help the team win. But if that defenseman keeps missing passes & making bad decisions it’s a different story. Myers needs a tune-up. If he plays well in the AHL he’ll force his way back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad