2019-20 Roster Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
40-60 point guys commanding long term deals about 2 mil more annually then what their worth. We have forwards ready to make the jump, why block them with a pricier option. Ghost is cheap and has upside still, I don’t get the obsession with moving him after a down year.
We don't have a center ready to be a 50+ guy right now and signing Hayes doesn't block anyone. Spurgeon is damn close to being an elite defenseman.

Reactions: dag54

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
We don't have a center ready to be a 50+ guy right now and signing Hayes doesn't block anyone. Spurgeon is damn close to being an elite defenseman.
We have Couturier Patrick as the 1-2 and Frost in the wings. Unless your really not confident in Patrick as the 2C for some reason I don’t see the need for Hayes at all. A short term 3C sure.

Reactions: Larry44

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
We have Couturier Patrick as the 1-2 and Frost in the wings. Unless your really not confident in Patrick as the 2C for some reason I don’t see the need for Hayes at all. A short term 3C sure.

You're expecting Patrick, who is currently a 30 pt C, to make the leap to a 60 pt player next season?

Reactions: The Madrigal

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Patrick is currently a 30 point center and Frost has never taken a meaningful NHL shift in his life. Hayes has played a good bit of RW earlier in his career so moving him to wing down the road if necessary is an option. In the mean time you would have a big 50 point center right in his prime at 26, and an excellent 1-2-3 punch of Couturier, Hayes, and Patrick.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
I'd be more inclined to trade for a low end 2C/high end 3C and gamble on Patrick taking the next step than to pay big bucks in FA for Duchene or Hayes. IMO, 1 of Frost or Patrick will be a legit 2C on this team within 2 years.

Reactions: renberg and Adtar02

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
This is silly, Spurgeon is a better player than both Sanheim & Myers (which is not a knock on either).
Did I say he wasn’t? I’m saying I’d rather not overpay for Spurgeon when our guys will grow into that role perfectly fine.

I love how I somehow don’t want the Flyers to improve because I don’t want us to hand out blank checks on July 1st. Hilarious.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

46zone

Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
I’m expecting an entirely reasonable 40+. I didn’t know 60 points was a requirement to be a good 2C

For a team that wants to compete in playoffs, a 40 pt 2C likely won't cut it. Signing Duchene to a $9 million AAV contract or Hayes to a $6 million AAV contract is not going to hurt this team going forward. Particularly since both can be shifted to wing as Patrick & Frost progress.

Reactions: dag54

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not saying I know Fletcher will make the best moves, but I don’t understand the pessimistic outlook.

I think he will swing for fences, but if he misses, he may make ill-advised desperation signings. AV having coached Hayes and Stralman is a factor too.

46zone

Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
Did I say he wasn’t? I’m saying I’d rather not overpay for Spurgeon when our guys will grow into that role perfectly fine.

I love how I somehow don’t want the Flyers to improve because I don’t want us to hand out blank checks on July 1st. Hilarious.

Spurgeon is a top pairing RHD and is under contract for '19-'20 and would be well worth an $8-9 million AAV extension.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
For a team that wants to compete in playoffs, a 40 pt 2C likely won't cut it. Signing Duchene to a $9 million AAV contract or Hayes to a $6 million AAV contract is not going to hurt this team going forward. Particularly since both can be shifted to wing as Patrick & Frost progress.

I'd much rather have Duchene at 7 x $9m than Hayes at 6 x $6m.

Reactions: Rebels57

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I'd much rather have Duchene at 7 x $9m than Hayes at 6 x $6m.
So 10 more points a year is worth 3 million more in aav and an extra year? Not that Duchene is a consistent 70 point guy anyway, but on this team behind Couturier he's a max 60 point player. Hayes has averaged 49 points per over the last three seasons. Seems like a high price to pay for an additional 10 points. To each their own though.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Sign Stralman to a 2-3 year deal. He's exactly the type of calm, veteran presence this young D group needs. Package Gudas, their 2019 2nd round pick and a prospect not named Frost or Farabee (likely Ratcliffe) for a good, middle 6 center. Re-sign Talbot and waive and demote AMac. Done.

G-Coots-TK
Lindblom-Patrick-Jake
JVR-new center-Frost or Farabee
Farabee, Laughton or Raffl-Laughton or Frost-Hartman
spare: Raffl or NAK

Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Stralman*
Morin-Myers
Hagg

Hart
Talbot

*on the PK, Stralman can move up and play with Provorov and Morin/Myers can be the 2nd pairing.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Sign Stralman to a 2-3 year deal. He's exactly the type of calm, veteran presence this young D group needs. Package Gudas, their 2019 2nd round pick and a prospect not named Frost or Farabee (likely Ratcliffe) for a good, middle 6 center. Re-sign Talbot and waive and demote AMac. Done.

G-Coots-TK
Lindblom-Patrick-Jake
JVR-new center-Frost or Farabee
Farabee, Laughton or Raffl-Laughton or Frost-Hartman
spare: Raffl or NAK

Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Stralman*
Morin-Myers
Hagg

Hart
Talbot

*on the PK, Stralman can move up and play with Provorov and Morin/Myers can be the 2nd pairing.

Stralman probably signs in Tampa for peanuts to stay there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad