2019-20 Roster Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I've always been a proponent of trading for Doughty if he's made available.
If I were the Kings, I'd definitely consider trading him. Their window is closed and their current core probably won't take them to the Final again. They should get something for their best players while they can.

Yea you have to think they were hoping for Hughes to open the window again but with a plan B of selling on big pieces.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

dag54

Aug 3, 2005
In the end, I think Chuck trades the 11thOA for either Spurgeon or Trouba. Especially with Scott and Holmgren breathing down his neck.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're going to trade #11 for the opportunity to pick up a really bad contract on a declining player just because he was a top defenseman?

As the game gets faster, I'd be wary of aging curves based on an era with slower skaters and more opportunity for aging players to "cheat" that have been removed with the tighter enforcement of penalties.

Reactions: renberg

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Doughty will probably resuscitate his career after this season; defensemen usually age pretty well. However for a player turning thirty years old, eight years and $88M going forward is a contract that is hard to swallow. The Snider Flyers might bite on that one but in this era, IDK about it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
So general consensus I’m gathering from the board: Don’t sign the better defenseman, who is slightly younger, won’t cost any player/draft pick compensation, will come with a 7 year commitment as opposed to 8, and might have less than an 11 AAV. Do trade the 11th overall pick + other valuable assets for Doughty and his contract.

:laugh:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
So general consensus I’m gathering from the board: Don’t sign the better defenseman, who is slightly younger, won’t cost any player/draft pick compensation, will come with a 7 year commitment as opposed to 8, and might have less than an 11 AAV. Do trade the 11th overall pick + other valuable assets for Doughty and his contract.

:laugh:

Everyone wants Karlsson on here, no one thinks we will get him. I for one want am not as high on Karlsson , simply because I imagine it will come at the expense of ghost.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Everyone wants Karlsson on here, no one thinks we will get him. I for one want am not as high on Karlsson , simply because I imagine it will come at the expense of ghost.
No there are definitely people that don’t want anything to do with him and are quite vocal about it. I don’t think anybody expects him to want to come here but that’s not what I am talking about.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I just don't expect Karlsson to go to free agency.

If he does and he's healthy, then sure, they should go for it. We all know Panarin ain't coming here.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Doughty will probably resuscitate his career after this season; defensemen usually age pretty well. However for a player turning thirty years old, eight years and $88M going forward is a contract that is hard to swallow. The Snider Flyers might bite on that one but in this era, IDK about it.

I think Dave Scott would love to add one of the biggest names in the sport. He wants to sell tickets at the end of the day.

Reactions: 46zone

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
You're going to trade #11 for the opportunity to pick up a really bad contract on a declining player just because he was a top defenseman?

As the game gets faster, I'd be wary of aging curves based on an era with slower skaters and more opportunity for aging players to "cheat" that have been removed with the tighter enforcement of penalties.
yeah my bad just looked at some of his advanced stats and didn't realize he was so overrated.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

Doughty still is a top defenseman. One bad season doesn't necessarily make him a declining player.

Pittsburgh won the Cup with their style and now everyone believes the game will keep getting faster, until the next Kings-like team comes around and wins the Cup and everyone wants to be like them again.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Nope not everyone on here wants Karlsson .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Doughty still is a top defenseman. One bad season doesn't necessarily make him a declining player.

Pittsburgh won the Cup with their style and now everyone believes the game will keep getting faster, until the next Kings-like team comes around and wins the Cup and everyone wants to be like them again.

Doughty is a top defenseman, but he's not a reliable franchise defenseman, even his best years weren't at EK's top level.
He is a great reason you extend your top young players as RFA to long-term deals.

But he turns 30, 8 yr/$88M is too dangerous for a team on the rise, we'd get his best remaining 2-3 years just as we were rounding into contention, then face the same issues already plaguing Toronto, which young player do you sell for pennies on the dollar b/c you can't afford to resign them.

Speed without grit will be exposed in the playoffs as every team gets faster.
Grit without speed is already passe.

The King's style is ancient history, you can't grab and clutch anymore, you can't slow players down by slashing their stick, you have to skate to keep up, even your slower, smarter players have to be decent skaters. Age curves will truncate to some extent, not drastically, but I'd be wary of average players turning 30, top 6 players turning 32, and HOF players turning 35.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
People thinking they are going to find the perfect deal. There aren’t very many out there. Give to get or pay to play. Simple.

Karlsson and doughty make this team ten times better just by their breakouts alone. One only cost a lot of money while the other costs assets. Go hard for If you strike out change course.

There almost never is any names like Pronger on the market. They are franchise altering deals. If one is to be made, you make the deal.

Doughty also controls his destination. Full trade actually would make him cost slightly less. Still would be a ton.

Think 2 first rounders ++. They should be a team for futures because of the rebuild that should take place there.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Doughty is a top defenseman, but he's not a reliable franchise defenseman, even his best years weren't at EK's top level.
He is a great reason you extend your top young players as RFA to long-term deals.

But he turns 30, 8 yr/$88M is too dangerous for a team on the rise, we'd get his best remaining 2-3 years just as we were rounding into contention, then face the same issues already plaguing Toronto, which young player do you sell for pennies on the dollar b/c you can't afford to resign them.

Speed without grit will be exposed in the playoffs as every team gets faster.
Grit without speed is already passe.

The King's style is ancient history, you can't grab and clutch anymore, you can't slow players down by slashing their stick, you have to skate to keep up, even your slower, smarter players have to be decent skaters. Age curves will truncate to some extent, not drastically, but I'd be wary of average players turning 30, top 6 players turning 32, and HOF players turning 35.
idk...in 5 years 11m will be likely like 8m now. I don't want to trade what DD will cost...but IMO, we can deal with the back half of the contract to get the 5 good years now. We wouldn't be able to absorb other bad contracts...but I don't see that one having a significant impact on other cap considerations.

EK is a better timeline fit, and cost.

If every one of our farm picks hit...we will be losing someone...just trade them in the last year, ect and recoup assets.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
In a vacuum I would be totally fine with the Flyers getting Kevin Hayes or Brock Nelson. I just feel like both guys are about get too many years and way too much money. If all things are equal contract wise I would prefer Hayes. Hopefully they can get Duchene or trade for someone like RNH or Kadri.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Why would EK want to sign in SJ? They have a lot of aging pieces and are coming to an end of their window if EK leaves. Plus CA taxes etc. at this point, he’d be dumb not to test UFA.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
With the defensemen that the Flyers have, offense from the back end is not a worry. Stopping the opposition from scoring is. Whoever the organization obtains to add to the blue line has to be a player that is a force in their own end. EK and Doughty are good players but a defensive stud like Pronger they are not. For $11M and max term, I want that type of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad