2019-20 Roster Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I suspect some of the people throw names out there are the same people who been bitching about the 7 lean years since 2011-12, which were caused by Holmgren spending money left and right and trading draft picks for veterans.

So, "been there, done that."

I've been in favor of trades/signing UFAs since well before the TDL.

But I insist on "value," I don't want to overpay to win this year.
So it's not just whether a player could help us next season, but how does he fit over the next five years.

William Karlsson would help the bottom six, but will he be better than Patrick this year? next year? How good is he, the player who struggled at 23-24 years old, broke out at 25 and regressed a bit at 26? How much do you pay him for how long, and what do you trade for his rights?

Duchene had a big season in his contract year, but how good is he?
He's a solid offensive center, but average to below average defensively, xGA last five years: .057, .196, .064, -.011, .011. Is he self-motivated or just playing better b/c he wants to get paid, and once you give him guaranteed money, will he regress?
Would you give him 7yr/$9+M a year starting in his 28/29 year old season?

EK is a dominant player when healthy. But if you commit to $11+M a year and he pulls a Pronger in three years, does that deep six the franchise? How healthy is that ankle?

This team doesn't need to make a big splash, it doesn't need to trade #11 to get to the playoffs.
#11 could easily be a player who starts in 2020-21 and is a major contributor in 2021-22. Is that worth an upgrade in 2019-20?

With Hart, Myers, Morin, Frost maybe Farabee, along with Prfovorov, Sanheim, Ghost, Patrick, Lindblom and TK possibly taking a step up, this team should be competitive before Fletcher starts making moves.

So there is no reason for "panic" moves.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
People who just compose wish lists are the real jokes around here.
This ain't Christmas, and Santa ain't running the show.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Subban and trouba are rumored available, but is spurgeon it is that just connecting the dots? The 11 OA pick should have plenty of value. No way I trade Myers.

Our best move is to build a time machine and trade for Stone.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Subban and trouba are rumored available, but is spurgeon it is that just connecting the dots? The 11 OA pick should have plenty of value. No way I trade Myers.

Our best move is to build a time machine and trade for Stone.
I think for Spurgeon it will have to take an offer the Wild can't refuse. They like him and he and his family like Minnesota.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
#11 is a lot to offer, like I said, we're talking a good probability of a 2020-21 starter and top 6/top 4 player.
Hopefully, we don't pick in the top 20 for a decade.
I'd be far more willing to trade #41 and next year's 1st (top ten protected).

Last edited:
Reactions: BernieParent

dag54

Aug 3, 2005
Yea I think trouba is a good option given they basically have to trade him.
If Spurgeon isn't available, what would be fair value in a Trouba trade if he comes with an extension? Either the 11th oa and Ratcliffe, or the 11th overall and Jay O'Brien would be my guesses.

Reactions: TheKingPin

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Who stays, who goes? Early projections of which players will...

I've said it before but Spurgeon just makes too much sense for it not to happen. Would love to get Zucker too. I feel like the Spurgeon to the Flyers trade talk is my baby at this point.

Conceivably could be on the move

Jared Spurgeon: Don’t panic … yet. Arguably the Wild’s biggest find (junior hockey free agent) and success story in team history said all the right things last week when he met the media and was asked if he wished to sign a contract extension this summer. “Obviously my family loves it here. We love it here. I want to win here,” Spurgeon said. But the key last line is Spurgeon wants to win. Whether they want to label it this or not, the Wild are in a rebuilding situation and Fenton will have to ensure Spurgeon wants to be part of that. It will also likely cost the Wild significant term (six, seven or eight years) and money (well more than his current $5.187 million), so Fenton has to be willing to stomach that type of commitment. The Wild wouldn’t be allowed to extend him until after July 1, so if it looks beforehand that it’s going to be impossible to get this done, Spurgeon’s trade value may never be better than at the draft. Toronto really, really needs a right-shot defenseman.
Jason Zucker: He’s coming off a down year with 21 goals and was nearly traded to Calgary at the trade deadline. While it would seem to be a huge risk to trade one of their fastest players a year removed from scoring a career-high 33 goals and from a team that’s downright pathetic offensively, trading Zucker seems like just a matter of time. Fenton is committed to building through young players like Fiala and Donato, so it would make sense to try to get them on their natural left side full-time. Trading Zucker opens up that spot for achieving the former or pursuing somebody like Anders Lee in free agency. Also, Zucker, for the first time, will submit a 10-team no-trade list July 1, so trading him beforehand allows Fenton to talk to 30 teams as opposed to 20.

dag54

Aug 3, 2005
For an extended Spurgeon I would do the 11th overall, Ratcliffe, and Hagg.

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
Outside of Karlsson and some sort of slick Kapanen deal due to TORs cap trouble.

Im okay with keeping our pick and taking bpa at 11.. We’ll know what kind of team we have by next trade deadline and ammo for a trade isn’t the issue, making the right ones are.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If Spurgeon isn't available, what would be fair value in a Trouba trade if he comes with an extension? Either the 11th oa and Ratcliffe, or the 11th overall and Jay O'Brien would be my guesses.
Not sure. I would think theyd want the 11 OA and a dman. But no one would make that trade since it makes no sense. So maybe they want a D prospect and Hagg.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I'd rather have Soderstrom or whatever forward falls to 11 than Spurgeon or Trouba.

The 11th overall and Zamula or Ratcliffe is probably more than what Vegas gave up for Mark Stone (Brannstrom, a 2nd, Lindberg), and that was a deadline deal where buying teams theoretically overpay. It came with him extended, and he's 4 years younger than Spurgeon and a better player than Trouba.

I don't know if they'd do it but if we were doing a deal for Trouba I'd do something like a 2nd, a useful but unimportant roster player like Hartman or Laughton, and a very minor prospect (like a Sushko).

dag54

Aug 3, 2005
I'd rather have Soderstrom or whatever forward falls to 11 than Spurgeon or Trouba.

The 11th overall and Zamula or Ratcliffe is probably more than what Vegas gave up for Mark Stone (Brannstrom, a 2nd, Lindberg), and that was a deadline deal where buying teams theoretically overpay. It came with him extended, and he's 4 years younger than Spurgeon and a better player than Trouba.

I don't know if they'd do it but if we were doing a deal for Trouba I'd do something like a 2nd, a useful but unimportant roster player like Hartman or Laughton, and a very minor prospect (like a Sushko).
They would never do that. You have to give to get.

Reactions: flyersfan187
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->