2019-20 Roster Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Salary caps do suppress salaries, but not necessarily player earnings, depends on where the floor is set.
And by encouraging parity, and making the league more competitive, it may raise overall revenues and thus player compensation.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Salary caps do suppress salaries, but not necessarily player earnings, depends on where the floor is set.
And by encouraging parity, and making the league more competitive, it may raise overall revenues and thus player compensation.

Salary structures are driven by stars. When the stars don't make as much money because of salary caps and fewer teams bidding for free agency, the salaries of all players are kept lower.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Salary structures are driven by stars. When the stars don't make as much money because of salary caps and fewer teams bidding for free agency, the salaries of all players are kept lower.

That's not true at all.

Salary structures are driven by revenues and cap rules.
Cap negotiations set both maximum and minimum spending, and there's a general band of total league spending on salaries and benefits.

When stars are capped, if there is a general agreement on the % of revenue sharing, there is more money available for other players.
To the extent that parity increases league revenues (because you don't have teams with 6,000 seats sold and little TV revenue) all players benefit.

The problem becomes that capping salaries encourages players to pursue other incentives, location, low taxes, etc.
However, few stars come close to the maximum salary, what the cap does is keep rich teams from buying championships.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
That's not true at all.

Salary structures are driven by revenues and cap rules.
Cap negotiations set both maximum and minimum spending, and there's a general band of total league spending on salaries and benefits.

When stars are capped, if there is a general agreement on the % of revenue sharing, there is more money available for other players.
To the extent that parity increases league revenues (because you don't have teams with 6,000 seats sold and little TV revenue) all players benefit.

The problem becomes that capping salaries encourages players to pursue other incentives, location, low taxes, etc.
However, few stars come close to the maximum salary, what the cap does is keep rich teams from buying championships.

You apparently know nothing about the history of sports salaries and free agency.

Also there are basically no examples of rich teams buying championships in the modern/pre-cap era so that was never a reason to put in the cap.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Yankees?
How did the Flyers stay competitive?
Without the amnesty, they'd been buried for a decade.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The Yankees?
How did the Flyers stay competitive?
Without the amnesty, they'd been buried for a decade.

The Flyers have been to one SCF in 22 years, that's not really competitive. The NHL didn't say, "OMG we need a cap so the Flyers aren't in the second round every year."

Who are the Yankees?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Reminder, 17 years ago Holik signed a 5 year, 45 million contract. GM's could not control themselves.

Right, and we still haven't gotten to the point where secondary stars make $9M.

And only a handful of teams have won the Stanley Cup in that period.

But the cap was all about parity.

dag54

Aug 3, 2005
If they buy out Mcdonald I believe they'll have 35 million to spend. After all their restricted free agents sign, my guess would be that they'll have 15 million to spend on free agents/trades. I don't think Duchene is a realistic option, because he'll want nine million a year. And I really don't want the 11th overall pick traded. So I would sign Stralman, Hayes, and Talbot.

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
If they buy out Mcdonald I believe they'll have 35 million to spend. After all their restricted free agents sign, my guess would be that they'll have 15 million to spend on free agents/trades. I don't think Duchene is a realistic option, because he'll want nine million a year. And I really don't want the 11th overall pick traded. So I would sign Stalman, Hayes, and Talbot.
I hope they can do a little bit better in terms of upgrading the defense but that isn't too bad. If Stralman is healthy that would be a sneaky good pick up. The question though is, is he healthy and what does he left in the tank at almost 33 years old.

That is correct with the 35 million if they buy out MacDonald.

Just throwing out some quick guesses with RFA's to get an idea of cap space.

Provorov - 6.5
Konecny - 4.5
Sanheim - 4.5
Hartman - 1.75
Laughton - 1.75

Total - 19 million

So they will have around 14-16 million in cap space after they take care of their RFA'S. That probably doesn't put them in a position for a big time free agent like Panarin or Karlsson. However, it should be enough money to get a second line center, top four D, and backup goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: dag54

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
That point has essentially arrived when Duchene gets 9 million or damn close to that in a month and a half.
That's a lot, but players like him don't make it to UFA ever year. In our situation with all that cap space we should take advantage and not worry too much about overpaying.

Reactions: The Madrigal

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
That's a lot, but players like him don't make it to UFA ever year. In our situation with all that cap space we should take advantage and not worry too much about overpaying.
If you see my post above, they will have about 14-16 million in cap space to work with AFTER they take care of their RFA's and assuming they buy out MacDonald. They could afford Duchene, but me personally, I am not investing 9 million in him.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
If you see my post above, they will have about 14-16 million in cap space to work with AFTER they take care of their RFA's and assuming they buy out MacDonald. They could afford Duchene, but me personally, I am not investing 9 million in him.
Fair enough. I would, but I've always been a fan of him, so I might be a little biased.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Fair enough. I would, but I've always been a fan of him, so I might be a little biased.
My concern with Duchene is this. I don't expect him to be more than a 50-60 point center for the Flyers playing behind Couturier. I just can't see investing a 9 million dollar cap hit and potentially as much as seven years for a guy like that. I'm not going to be upset if they sign him because I am sick of the Flyers being scared to make moves and becoming an afterthought in this league. That said, if I can get Hayes for a year or two less and around 3 million less on the AAV I would go in that direction. I love the idea of having the type of size down the middle that a 1-2-3 punch of Couturier-Hayes-Patrick would provide.

Reactions: LorneMalvo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->