Roster Moves: 2019-20 Roster Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Honestly the Flyers should just extend Couturier's contract and give him a bunch of money up front. Tack on 5 more years, pay him a salary of $7M a year plus a $20M signing bonus. It'll probably be a bargain by that time and he won't feel grossly underpaid.
That's 11 million AAV haha. Might not be far off by that time

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I am a little hesitant to add more than a player or two as i remember the frustration down on the farm before maroon was traded. With pimp ruby and frost looking for a spot how long can we sign a center for? Allison farabee and ratcliffe could be in camp so how bad do we really need a winger? I'd love to have someone take over the veteran d role but maybe its time to give gudas or ghost a crack at it. I don't see this offseason as one where you run down the list. Trading for fit may be the better option. Trade for carter sign williams and sell the boys in the stands on getting back to flyer hockey while we proceed with a youth movement

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I am a little hesitant to add more than a player or two as i remember the frustration down on the farm before maroon was traded. With pimp ruby and frost looking for a spot how long can we sign a center for? Allison farabee and ratcliffe could be in camp so how bad do we really need a winger? I'd love to have someone take over the veteran d role but maybe its time to give gudas or ghost a crack at it. I don't see this offseason as one where you run down the list. Trading for fit may be the better option. Trade for carter sign williams and sell the boys in the stands on getting back to flyer hockey while we proceed with a youth movement

Im with you on the Center position.

None of our winger prospects have a prayer of becoming as good as Panarin though. If you can sign him, do it. If you have to trade a prospect because of that due to organizational logjam, do it.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Im with you on the Center position.

None of our winger prospects have a prayer of becoming as good as Panarin though. If you can sign him, do it. If you have to trade a prospect because of that due to organizational logjam, do it.

Panarin sure but i wouldn't touch skinner at term or any of the next tier guys. I see a huge gap between who can improve our top line/pair and guys id use to fill out the bottom 6. I'm infatuated with bringing in williams to round out the 3rd line and mentor frost. I just see cap trouble ahead in overpaying 2nd tier guys who aren't particularly better than what we have just more of it. All that capspace doesn't have to burn a hole in our pockets i just want to spend it wisely

Reactions: phil162888

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Panarin sure but i wouldn't touch skinner at term or any of the next tier guys. I see a huge gap between who can improve our top line/pair and guys id use to fill out the bottom 6. I'm infatuated with bringing in williams to round out the 3rd line and mentor frost. I just see cap trouble ahead in overpaying 2nd tier guys who aren't particularly better than what we have just more of it. All that capspace doesn't have to burn a hole in our pockets i just want to spend it wisely

Thats fair.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
When you guys say Williams, are you referring to Justin Williams?
Yes. Replaces Simmonds leadership multiple cup winner can still skate/ score a little and can be had on a two year deal for who cares we have the space. I think hes perfect for our young guys to play with while we bring them along in lesser roles

Reactions: phil162888

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Ok, I thought so. During the previous off-season, 2018 off-season thread, I had made mention of being pro-Williams, and was generally poo-poo'd for my sentiments. At the time, in a resounding Hex-Hak world, the luster hadn't fallen off the GM for some, as it had for me at the time. I just find it amusing that some would be pro-Williams now, when they were anti-Williams previously.

Bringing back Justin Williams for 1 or 2 years seems like a slam dunk option to me, provided they don't sign Panarin.

Edit: reading through that thread, in the light of Hextall being fired, some of the posts there didn't age all that well. What a lot of pro-Hextall folks, at that point in time, were hoping would occur, never came to fruition. His firing makes even more sense. (This is not an endorsement of his replacement.)

Last edited:

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Biggest questions for me are how many of laczynski,allison, farabee sign contracts. If so they need spots in the lineup. Add a veteran d preferably right handed (karlsson,spurgeon) insert frost as 3c,make an offer for panarin trade hagg, buy out farmer and roll.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yes. Replaces Simmonds leadership multiple cup winner can still skate/ score a little and can be had on a two year deal for who cares we have the space. I think hes perfect for our young guys to play with while we bring them along in lesser roles

He's like 80

This team has plenty of "veteran leadership." They just need better coaching and more talented players in their depth roles.

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
We are in much better shape than the season began. I don't think we should go to trading basic core right away. With that said, G isn't getting any younger and is a piece needed to lead so time is a bit of the essence. I'd be interested in starting with what we have with some minimal adjustments. Hart Is something we have not had which allows for focus on offensive pressure. I'd like more proven experienced production in the O zone.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Williams would qualify as a more talented player in a depth role however.

I'd rather sign Panarin and then you move Lindblom into the bottom 6.

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Panarin - Patrick - Voracek
JVR - Frost - Lindblom

Something like that as the top 9.

If we don't sign Panarin, gimme Farabee.

Last edited:

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Straw man dude. I did not advocate for signing Williams over Panarin. If the question is Farabee vs Williams, neither of those are fait accompli, as both would need to be coaxed to sign contracts. So, as an option on the table, I advocate to pursue both, and if I had a choice between the two, I probably sign Williams, as to space out the number of kids on the roster (contract management), and I really like Justin Williams.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I still think Panarin and Bob are going to Florida, but the Flyers should be improved anyway and should be able to make a playoff push. Bring in Q, bring in a top pairing D-man if possible and that is really all we need to do in the off-season that isn't already on the Flyers or in the system. If you can get Panarin you do it, but I don't think that'll happen and it won't be because the Flyers don't want him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Straw man dude. I did not advocate for signing Williams over Panarin. If the question is Farabee vs Williams, neither of those are fait accompli, as both would need to be coaxed to sign contracts. So, as an option on the table, I advocate to pursue both, and if I had a choice between the two, I probably sign Williams, as to space out the number of kids on the roster (contract management), and I really like Justin Williams.

It's not a strawman. I'm just presenting my own opinion. I never said you preferred Williams to Panarin. Settle down lol

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Biggest questions for me are how many of laczynski,allison, farabee sign contracts. If so they need spots in the lineup. Add a veteran d preferably right handed (karlsson,spurgeon) insert frost as 3c,make an offer for panarin trade hagg, buy out farmer and roll.

While i definitely think laczinsky and allison should be signed im shy after this year guaranteeing them spots. Farabee can't be sent down if he isn't ready so im ok giving him another year in college.
Both panarin and karlson are going to be highly persued so you want to have contingency plans in place. I'd make offers to both though i really like a q panarin reunion.

I wouldn't buy out amac as with one year left he dumpable or if we're truly stuck why stretch out the hit.

Id look into trouba before spurgeon but i like the idea of trading for fit. Gudas and 1st should get it started

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sing Panarin if possible, if not then just go with the college kids.

If it's not an elite talent, it's likely not worth blocking a prospect. People keep talking about this logjam of prospects but then want to further place obstacles between us and getting through it.

Is some random overpaid bottom 6 FA going to better than someone like Farabee, Laczynski, or Allison? Sure, maybe initially, but it's really not worth it. With new coaching, our current team roster, plus adding Frost, the team should be good enough to compensate for a possible weak spot in the bottom 6.

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
While i definitely think laczinsky and allison should be signed im shy after this year guaranteeing them spots. Farabee can't be sent down if he isn't ready so im ok giving him another year in college.
Both panarin and karlson are going to be highly persued so you want to have contingency plans in place. I'd make offers to both though i really like a q panarin reunion.

I wouldn't buy out amac as with one year left he dumpable or if we're truly stuck why stretch out the hit.

Id look into trouba before spurgeon but i like the idea of trading for fit. Gudas and 1st should get it started

I wouldn’t mind Farabee making the team but that’s a good call on not being able to send him down. I think that seals the deal for him and he likely won’t make it this year. Plus they are spending money no matter what. If it’s not Panarin they will certainly look at EK and Duchene. I think Fletch will likely be smart and stay away from skinner. No matter what there will be a roster spot filled with a higher end talent. Frost should make it too. Can’t see another spot open. Williams is just not a good option for this team. They need more speed. They can hide another slower player.

EasyMac

Jul 8, 2004
Farabee can't be sent down if he isn't ready so im ok giving him another year in college.

Farabee can be sent to the AHL if he signs. It is only CHL players that can't be sent to the AHL before they are 20. European or American trained players can (but not European/American players that went the CHL route for training and were drafted out of those leagues, they would be ineligible for the AHL until they are 20. Also, vice-versa, Canadian born players that never played in the CHL - ie went NCAA route, can also play in AHL before 20 years of age).

Basically: drafted out of the CHL = no AHL until 20 years old. Drafted out of any other league = can play in AHL once 18 years of age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad