Roster Moves: 2019-20 Roster Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Some players simply don’t listen and/or don’t have the capacity/ice awareness to eliminate stupid decisions from their games. Not everything is fixable with coaching.

I could have Michelangelo coach me in art, & my continued inability to paint or sculpt well wouldn’t be due to poor coaching .
I think ghost is a better hockey player than you’re a painter... hahaha!

But I think there is some level of ego to these players that they may be less likely to respond to the coaching of someone without pedigree. We can argue fault ad nauseum but it was clear that ghost absolutely loathed what hakstol represented as a coach. The one virtue of a vet guy with a record of some semblance of success is that they can shove it in a players face. “Listen asshole, I’ve done...”. In reality, none of our recent guys had that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost had similar issues with Gordon.

I don't think pedigree would make a difference, Ghost like a lot of offensive stars could free lance at will in college (a number of players have noted that junior practice was a joke and they were never taught defensive basics), suddenly he's in the NHL, everyone is telling him how great he is, and his HC is sitting his butt because he's ignoring his defensive responsibilities.
Ghost seemed to buy in last year, not so much this year, it's not like Gordon is Mr hardass coach and he got frustrated by Ghost.

Some players want to become complete players, some players accept hard coaching, others chafe at their creativity being stifled.
Offense is more fun, skating end to end is more fun, focusing on things like gap control, outlet passes, etc. can be drudgery for some players.

Depends on the players, the coach and the scheme, Cooper seems to have gotten his smurfs to buy into fore and back checking, Babcock seems to struggle to get anyone on Toronto to play defense.

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012

Great post!! :naughty:

Seriously you see Karlsson Provy Sanheim Myers and Ghost....Thats 3 average Dzone in top 4.

Anyway like Fletcher said if the forward group keep the puck, dont make stupid giveaway and control the play the defense and goaler will have a way easier job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad