Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread Part II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Byram: “Hey guys I’m ready to take advantage of this downtime and get my body prepared to be a pro next year. Unfortunately our local gym is closed. Anything you guys can do to help”?

Sakic: “Absolutely Bo, I’ll check in with the boss and see what we can do to get you equipped”.

Kroenke: What color do you want?
TwgaJAJsUJMBYo82OzVrvVHLeQlOq8xPjO8GEoNhIFMMyZhU-huq1XZ-vsQ4SfwWY8XcD42D6qcOuQwOx6xCdi-t_Kb_pSPYvSv3RkIRdRDhsMHStfzZxcP5-NdfQVPDqENScHxLduiyl0Ypt_HzVQ

I feel like this is pretty accurate. Especially since Kroenke's line wasn't in quotes, because there's no way in hell he gives a shit what color Bo wants.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Drained from hockey? The hell. I dont like hearing that shit from a guy we going to lean on alot in the coming years. The hell going on in Vancouver.
I think he got it into his head last summer that he was going to make the team out of camp. Being one of the first cuts probably bruised his ego a little bit and maybe discouraged him. I don't think it's a bad thing in the long run, he's crazy confident in himself and hitting the reality that you're not as ready as you think you are is hard for a young kid. He probably makes the team next year and puts it all behind him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Drained from hockey? The hell. I dont like hearing that shit from a guy we going to lean on alot in the coming years. The hell going on in Vancouver.

Meh...he went into this season with insane expectations and as a result got a little burned out. I don't think this needs to be looked at as a negative. He faced adversity for the first time in his young hockey career and dealt with it. Now he's flying after a rough start.

I'll admit I thought pretty poorly of Kaut after it came out that trade rumors had him rattled and Sakic personally visited him to reassure him that things were okay, but since that happened he's taken it and run with it. Every player hits a rough patch--how they deal with that can go a long way toward defining what kind of player they're going to be going forward.

Reactions: McMetal

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Meh...he went into this season with insane expectations and as a result got a little burned out. I don't think this needs to be looked at as a negative. He faced adversity for the first time in his young hockey career and dealt with it. Now he's flying after a rough start.

I'll admit I thought pretty poorly of Kaut after it came out that trade rumors had him rattled and Sakic personally visited him to reassure him that things were okay, but since that happened he's taken it and run with it. Every player hits a rough patch--how they deal with that can go a long way toward defining what kind of player they're going to be going forward.
I think it's also important to remember these players are all kids. Hell, I wasn't even brimming with much confidence as a 24 year old in a town I grew up in, I don't expect some of these prospects to be impervious to getting rattled every once in a while - especially guys coming in from Europe. Coming to North America can't be easy. We all want our prospects to have the maturity of someone like Cale Makar, but that just isn't how it's going to be.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I've got to give you a little bit of shit. That is way more in line with a mental health professional than being harsh on Kaut lol. :D

I think it's ok to be unimpressed, but no need for any over the top judgement with this stuff.

Speaking of, everything go ok so far?

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I've got to give you a little bit of shit. That is way more in line with a mental health professional than being harsh on Kaut lol. :D

I think it's ok to be unimpressed, but no need for any over the top judgement with this stuff.

Yah we're hangin' in there, thanks for asking. If nothing else, the isolation and stress has resulted in a severe spike in people reaching out for services. We're trying like hell to do teletherapy where we can.

As for Byram, I'd also add he's also one of the youngest kids in his draft class. He had only been 18 for nine days when he got drafted. The only thing I was doing when I was 17-18 was working at Elitch's in the summer and screwing around with my friends.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yah we're hangin' in there, thanks for asking. If nothing else, the isolation and stress has resulted in a severe spike in people reaching out for services. We're trying like hell to do teletherapy where we can.

As for Byram, I'd also add he's also one of the youngest kids in his draft class. He had only been 18 for nine days when he got drafted. The only thing I was doing when I was 17-18 was working at Elitch's in the summer and screwing around with my friends.

Good to hear, I wondered about that when you mentioned it. We've come a little ways in people believing in mental health. It's good people are reaching out for services.

I have no sympathy for Byram lol. I joined two weeks after HS and was on the other side of the country getting my ass kicked, and then 9/11 happened.

I am kidding, but they'll be ok. I do like that Sakic is aware enough at his level to figure out that he needed to reach out. Kinda impressed actually.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Regardless of whose idea it was, it's a pleasant surprise. I thought he probably could have gone pro after this season given the damage he was doing in the NCAA, but another year won't hurt him, and the Avs are probably going to have trouble fitting everybody into the top 9 as it is next season with Kaut on the way.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

I honestly think if we learned to think of the players in a mental health sense we could probably put these players in positions that suit their makeup and get more out of them. I do think mental health can go too far at times with over diagnosis ect but we are all biological beings that don't necessarily choose how we feel due to genetics and life experience so why not attempt to work with the better and when they are young guide them rather than judge.

If I misinterpreted your post my bad just let me know

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Don’t think Joe Sakic had anything to do with this. Safe to say this was Newhook’s plan before he even knew he’d be an Av.

It’s Newhook’s decision ultimately, but there would be a lot of conversations he and the team.

I think this will work out really well. After two years of college, he should be able to step into the Avs lineup and play a prominent role. I would imagine he’ll be the 3C in his rookie year, than take over the 2C role in year 2.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Don’t think Joe Sakic had anything to do with this. Safe to say this was Newhook’s plan before he even knew he’d be an Av.

Wouldn't be hard for Sakic to convince him. Not many 19 year old's would turn down an offer of making close to a million dollars and getting a permanent NHL position if Sakic wanted to try and persuade him. Easy to say as an outsider and it makes more sense long-term to stay in college and develop, but if I was on the phone with Sakic and he told me that signing with the club would be best for my development, I have a hard time imagining i'd say no to that.

Reactions: McMetal

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It’s Newhook’s decision ultimately, but there would be a lot of conversations he and the team.

I think this will work out really well. After two years of college, he should be able to step into the Avs lineup and play a prominent role. I would imagine he’ll be the 3C in his rookie year, than take over the 2C role in year 2.

He'll be a playoff reinforcement next season, a la Cale.

Reactions: Chiarelli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille