Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread Part II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Agreed. I think we’ll be extremely disappointed if we expect anything like Makar in his first season. He’s not going to be getting power play time with Makar and Girard ahead of him and will likely be on the bottom pair.

Like you said. He looks great long term, but it is going to take some time.

I think Byram will likely get 2nd unit PP time, and may even start getting a little more time than Girard at some point, but at even strength I can see him playing a keep it simple game for the first half of the season or so until he's more comfortable roaving around in the O zone.

I agree though, his rookie season stats will likely be lower than what he's capable of as a result.

Makar is just a freak in so many ways, including how quickly he learns what plays work and which don't, and then adapts his game and makes improvements.

Makar's wrist shot from the top of the point on the PP is an example. At the beginning of the season, he wasn't great at getting his shot through, and was often attacking the net too aggressively before trying to power a wrist shot into the net which resulted in a lot of those blocks.

He made some adjustments, started moving more laterally, and just looking for the shooting lanes before throwing an accurate wrister on net exactly where the open net was, or where it can be tipped easily, and at the exact right time as Landy's big body and the PK forward's legs screened the goalie's eyes.

To borrow a phrase from fighting, precision beats power and timing beats speed.

He's already on par IMO with Barrie in this regard, and Barrie was one of the best at this. It's arguably his biggest contribution IMO, the way he gets those shots on net from just inside the blueline.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Seider pick by Yzerman was a balls on the table sort of move, but he looks every bit the part. His game is different than Byram, but it wouldn't shock me in the least to see Seider be just as good or better. Kid is legit.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Matt Roberts

May 26, 2019
Wheeler had an article on the biggest post-draft risers. He's always been high on Newhook, but Zegras and Newhook were the two biggest names mentioned. When asked in the comments, he had Newhook as a top 10 pick in a redraft scenario.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Vincent Adultman

Nov 9, 2010
Denver
Wheeler had an article on the biggest post-draft risers. He's always been high on Newhook, but Zegras and Newhook were the two biggest names mentioned. When asked in the comments, he had Newhook as a top 10 pick in a redraft scenario.

From the Athletic article:
Alex Newhook, C, 5-foot-11 (Colorado Avalanche/Boston College)
Actual draft pick: No. 16
My final ranking: No. 11
Newhook started slowly in October but he has been one of the best players in college hockey since November and has been sensational of late, with 23 points on his current 12-game point streak, which dates all the way back to Jan. 31. He looks like an NHL player at this point and when he’s dominating games, the Eagles have looked borderline unstoppable. I believed he was one of the better value picks of the draft in June and I still believe that today. There’s no way he goes 16th overall in a do-over. He should have been on Team Canada at the world juniors, whether they won gold without him or not. Newhook put together a brilliant freshman year, finishing first in the country among all under-19 players in goals per game and points per game as arguably the most dangerous offensive threat on a team with David Cotton (Carolina Hurricanes), Julius Mattila (undrafted) and Logan Hutsko (Florida Panthers), three of college hockey’s more consistent offensive threats. The Eagles take on the Providence College Friars in the Hockey East quarterfinals this weekend and their freshman line with Mike Hardman (undrafted) and Matt Boldy (Minnesota Wild) has become appointment viewing. Newhook’s blend of world-class speed, a deceptive release (this is definitely underrated), constant movement, strength on his skates and pace make him the complete package.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Newhook started slowly in October but he has been one of the best players in college hockey since November and has been sensational of late, with 23 points on his current 12-game point streak, which dates all the way back to Jan. 31. He looks like an NHL player at this point and when he’s dominating games, the Eagles have looked borderline unstoppable. I believed he was one of the better value picks of the draft in June and I still believe that today. There’s no way he goes 16th overall in a do-over. He should have been on Team Canada at the world juniors, whether they won gold without him or not. Newhook put together a brilliant freshman year, finishing first in the country among all under-19 players in goals per game and points per game as arguably the most dangerous offensive threat on a team with David Cotton (Carolina Hurricanes), Julius Mattila (undrafted) and Logan Hutsko (Florida Panthers), three of college hockey’s more consistent offensive threats. The Eagles take on the Providence College Friars in the Hockey East quarterfinals this weekend and their freshman line with Mike Hardman (undrafted) and Matt Boldy (Minnesota Wild) has become appointment viewing. Newhook’s blend of world-class speed, a deceptive release (this is definitely underrated), constant movement, strength on his skates and pace make him the complete package.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Pokecheque

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
NHL player?

Do you guys think he would be playing for us now if he was available?

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
The Seider pick by Yzerman was a balls on the table sort of move, but he looks every bit the part. His game is different than Byram, but it wouldn't shock me in the least to see Seider be just as good or better. Kid is legit.
Out of curiosity who would you compare Seider's playing style to?

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Seth Jones with some nastiness to his game. I don’t think he will be an elite #1 like Jones, but the raw potential is there.
Is his skating really that good? That's a hell of a compliment anyways, he'll be interesting to watch I remember early when he was ranked mid round hoping he'd fall to our #16 but I really haven't seen a lot of him to form an opinion like that. Thanks for the reply.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Is his skating really that good? That's a hell of a compliment anyways, he'll be interesting to watch I remember early when he was ranked mid round hoping he'd fall to our #16 but I really haven't seen a lot of him to form an opinion like that. Thanks for the reply.
Yeah his skating is that good... the offensive game is the big question with Seider. How much is there and can he run a top PP? Pure upside, he probably has the most of any defensive prospect not in the NHL... that said, I’d still put my money on Byram being the better player.

Reactions: avsfan09

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I hope you're right, but I just don't see that kind of offensive upside or smoothness from Seider.
Smoothness... I see. Offense I’m with you on. The tools are there, I just haven’t seen it. He’s been really, really good in the AHL.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Seider was already for some in top 5 and for many in top 10, he sustained some injuries before the draft that led him to be picked later on but the Wings took a chance.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Seider is Colton Parayko 2.0 for me, perhaps not as good in regards to pure shutdown ability, but he loves making a difference offensively even though he's not going to be as good as Quinn Hughes is.

Reactions: avsfan09

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If he's a good skater for his size he's going to be a good player (likely different style than his brothers). He's already physically bigger than Quinn and Jack.

He's still gonna be high end in that area, but I don't see elite there. Not as strong of instincts either, but it is early. 2021 draft is too far away, but he's mid to late first round grade to me. Could very easily move up if you see his game progress. He just doesn't compared well right now to somebody like Owen Power in the same league and same draft year. Next year could change that though.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
He's still gonna be high end in that area, but I don't see elite there. Not as strong of instincts either, but it is early. 2021 draft is too far away, but he's mid to late first round grade to me. Could very easily move up if you see his game progress. He just doesn't compared well right now to somebody like Owen Power in the same league and same draft year. Next year could change that though.

I definitely don't think he has the natural talent of his brothers, but I feel like he may be a guy that has interesting potential. Good bloodlines, will likely have decent size, could be a nice gamble pick if he's there in the late first.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I have zero insight to provide to this conversation but I just wanted to say that Owen Power is the best name for an athlete ever.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Jared Staal 2.0 :sarcasm:

Luke isn't the skater his brothers are... he's going to be 6'1"-6'2" though...
My school had pen pals when I was in grade 2. Our teacher contacted a teacher in Thunder Bay and we all got a pen pal from their class. My pen pal’s name was Jared. He had 3 older brothers and all he takes about was spending his days in the rink playing hockey himself and chasing his brothers. I remember he bragged about how good he was lol and in my head I used to think “I bet he’s not as good as me.”

I wish I had kept those letters to read some of the facts I don’t remember because there’s a really good chance it was Jared Staal.

ftr me and Jared Staal are the same age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00