Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread Part II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
It’s Newhook’s decision ultimately, but there would be a lot of conversations he and the team.

I think this will work out really well. After two years of college, he should be able to step into the Avs lineup and play a prominent role. I would imagine he’ll be the 3C in his rookie year, than take over the 2C role in year 2.

Right when Kadri's contract is up. It's almost as if the Avs have some sort of multi-year plan.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Since he can’t sign with us early and blow one year of his entry contract we lost this edge we had.
Yeah, it's too bad, but I'm more annoyed than upset. He was a bit of a long shot to be an NHLer, but he had a little higher ceiling/likelihood to reach it than guys like Henry or Burzan in our pool, so it's still a loss even if it's a small one.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
You care about the NCAA title? I care about the Stanley Cup.

Hmm? Reread that.

I meant, it’s actually within reason that he’ll be playing as long as Makar was last year. Not that I think it particularly matters when he joins. I anticipate he’ll be a welcome boost but if they desperately need him to get out of the first round I’ll be disappointed.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Hmm? Reread that.

I meant, it’s actually within reason that he’ll be playing as long as Makar was last year. Not that I think it particularly matters when he joins. I anticipate he’ll be a welcome boost but if they desperately need him to get out of the first round I’ll be disappointed.
You can’t take the first round ligthly. All hands on deck, all the time.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Right when Kadri's contract is up. It's almost as if the Avs have some sort of multi-year plan.
Right, there was like basically zero chance the Avs were going to sign Newhook after this year. He would have had to have an Eichel level season. Sakic has been very calculated with his moves there is very much so a plan.

The goal is to have him replace Kadri. It has been that way since we aquired Kadri. But we also wanted him to get a year under him belt here before that in a 3C role so he could get used to this level without the immense pressure of jumping into the top 6 and producing. Hence why he is going back 1 more year, get stronger, then come in and be our 3C for a year and go from there.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Haven’t seen it mentioned that Byram was ranked #1 in THN Future Watch. Newhook was #13 and then Annunen, Timmins and Kaut were in the top 100. Avs pool was ranked #1 as well but that also takes into account players 21 and under (Makar, Jost, Girard).

Reactions: avsfan09 and Avs_19

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
How long do you think it will be before Annunen gets a look in the NHL? 2/3 years?
That’s probably fair. It’s hard to say, Avs are conservative with the goalies. Depends what happens to Werner, when Annunen signs, where he is on the goalie depth chart. Once he’s here he should get a callup at some point and then it usually has to be a moment of desperation to get in the first game and then go from there.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Good call, Joe.

Gave Byram the year he needed, giving Newhook the two years he needs. Avs are developing prospects finally.

The right call. Go win gold with Canada (unless they foolishly leave him off again), win the Hobey Baker, and then join the Avs in the playoffs. Call it The Makar.

Reactions: Foppa2118

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
The right call. Go win gold with Canada (unless they foolishly leave him off again), win the Hobey Baker, and then join the Avs in the playoffs. Call it The Makar.

Makes total sense. With Kadri locked up for a few more years, there is no need to rush the kid on to the squad. I fully expect Bowers to make the team out of camp next season and then have Newhook potentially join for either the playoffs or the team the following year when Kadri has a year left.

Reactions: Avs_19

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
More proof that the Avs don't rush their prospects outside of Jost.

Just like with Byram they could have forced things with Newhook, but they're taking it slow and doing what's best for the prospect's development.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It was not ththe Avs decision for Newhook to go back to school. Everyone knows this.

If the Avs were the type of team to rush prospects, they would have spent the next few months trying to coax Newhook into turning pro, giving him some under the table perks, and offering a bonus laden deal that could give him millions.

Especially after the season he had, which easily could have changed their original plans. But they have already agreed that he should go back next year.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

giphy.gif

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If the Avs were the type of team to rush prospects, they would have spent the next few months trying to coax Newhook into turning pro, giving him some under the table perks, and offering a bonus laden deal that could give him millions.

Especially after the season he had, which easily could have changed their original plans. But they have already agreed that he should go back next year.

I partially agree with your comment due to the disappointment with Jost being rushed and their refusal to send him down. Maybe Jost was due to the lack of depth after the terrible season? Loading on prospects and some fortunate trades changed the urgency to rush prospects.

Prospects depth is considered smart management. Mack/Kadri are locked into the 1-2 for the next few years. Jost/Compher/Bowers competes for the 3C role. PEB is locked for another season in 4C which likely belongs to Compher. It was likely Newhook needs 1-3 years of development. To have the Prospect Depth allowed the team to be patient.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I partially agree with your comment due to the disappointment with Jost being rushed and their refusal to send him down. Maybe Jost was due to the lack of depth after the terrible season? Loading on prospects and some fortunate trades changed the urgency to rush prospects.

Prospects depth is considered smart management. Mack/Kadri are locked into the 1-2 for the next few years. Jost/Compher/Bowers competes for the 3C role. PEB is locked for another season in 4C which likely belongs to Compher. It was likely Newhook needs 1-3 years of development. To have the Prospect Depth allowed the team to be patient.
I think that's part of the reason. Management did a pretty good job of not panicking TOO hard after that season, such as not trading Duchene when his value was lowest, but I think there was some real urgency to get Jost into the system at the tail end of that season, so they could show the casual fans something positive was on the way soon. Maybe the lack of good options was a factor as well, but in general I think the drive to push some talented youth onto the squad was what drove that decision.

It seems they've learned from that mistake, although it's possible the same factor is working in the opposite direction now, where a glut of depth gives us that luxury we didn't have when it was Jost's turn.

Reactions: Patagonia

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Yes, Jost was the exception.

I don't think the prospect depth played a big role though. After the season Newhook had, he could potentially be a great addition to the Avs next year. Decent chance he ends up better than Jost, Compher, Bowers, and PEB. Maybe even as soon as his rookie year.

So if they were only interested in doing what's best for the Avs, then they would have tried to sign him with the hopes he'd be able to contribute. But they did what was best for Newhook instead.

Reactions: Patagonia

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Good article. Newhook was already a stocky build in his draft year, he will be ready to make an impact after another year in College.

The Avs also showed patience with Byram and Timmins this year. It’s not always necessary, but this approach served the Red Wings really well for many years during their playoff streak.

It’s a lot harder to do when you’re a bad team, but now that the Avs have turned the corner they can allow prospects to ripen up in the system.

And this is something the Avs should be able to do for the prime years MacKinnon/Rantanen/Makar/Girard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad