Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Mutala is having a good year on one of the worst teams in the WHL. He's 24 points ahead of the second highest scorer on the team.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Mutala is having a good year on one of the worst teams in the WHL. He's 24 points ahead of the second highest scorer on the team.

He is having a phenomenal year on one the worst teams in the entire CHL.

The Americans are absolutely trash. They get blown out in half the games they play. Mutala is an interesting case, because his stats for his D+1 season are very good and exactly what you hope to see. Even if he was a 1st or 2nd round pick last year this season would still be considered a strong D+1 year.

The question I have now is whether he's just benefiting from being by far the best player on an absolutely garbage team where he's getting lots of quality opportunity and minutes to succeed. If he gets traded to a contending team next year and has to share some of the opportunities will his minutes decline? Or does getting a chance to play with actual good teams and good linemates create the chance for him to be even more offensive and dangerous next season.

He was considered a potential 1st round pick going into his draft year. Obviously everything that went on with his parents that year really messed with him as it would any 17 year old. Now it at least looks like he is back on track and showing exactly why he was considered a potential 1st round pick prospect, and exactly why the Avs took a flyer on him late.

I like the pick a lot. It was probably my favorite selection of the 2019 draft beyond Byram.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Mutala drives the bus, he has to work for every opportunity he gets. That team is so bad it’s indescribable. They traded their goalie around December and have won like 5 of their last 30 games. I’ve found players moving late in their junior career isn’t the most beneficial, they usually are less productive after the move but he simply can’t stay on a team that bad (even if they improve some next season) and I do think he can keep the same rate of scoring up on a better team. I hope he gets moved in the summer and not in season next year.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Eagles may not get Byram after all. The Giants are pretty much a lock to make the playoffs now. They're also likely going to play Victoria and while I know nothing about the team, it appears to be an even match up based on the standings.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The question I have now is whether he's just benefiting from being by far the best player on an absolutely garbage team where he's getting lots of quality opportunity and minutes to succeed. If he gets traded to a contending team next year and has to share some of the opportunities will his minutes decline? Or does getting a chance to play with actual good teams and good linemates create the chance for him to be even more offensive and dangerous next season.
I said the same a few weeks back. I would like him to go to a better team next season but I would be surprised if it happens before next season TDL. Losing so much can sometimes have a negative effect on a young kid. He seems to have the right frame of mind so far though.

I don't have the chance to see him play though so I would appreciate a scouting report on him from anybody regarding his style of game this year. Skills, speed, grit, etc.?

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Good for Newhook!

Now please develop him properly dammit so we can have another Calder candidate to argue about in 2 years

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
After a slow start adjusting to College level play, the kid has really impressed. He's starting to creep up on Caufield. Could end up the best freshman out of a damn impressive freshman class.

I understand now why Minnesota fans are so high on Newhook. Ever since he and Boldy were put together Boldy has really turned his season around as well. They make for a good duo together.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The Eagles may not get Byram after all. The Giants are pretty much a lock to make the playoffs now. They're also likely going to play Victoria and while I know nothing about the team, it appears to be an even match up based on the standings.
Victoria is who they beat last night and have beat the last 3 meetings and 4 of the last 5. But seeing each other so much will probably lead to a more even series should they meet. Vancouver is definitely playing better of the two now. The first round really is not what will determine if Byram has time to go to the AHL, it’s the later rounds. But if the Eagles can get out of the first round 5 game series their season will be much longer too.

Mutala is an energy player, good motor and is involved all over the ice. He fights along the boards and in traffic with a good shot and playmaking ability. He really is a do it all type. His best attributes are speed and tenacity.

humbury8

Jul 1, 2019
Newhook was the best player in BCHL. He was probably the best player in the U18 canadian team last year. He was apparently one of the best during the U20 training camp this year even though he was not selected after all. And now he is on fire in his freshmen year in NCAA. That guy is a real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad