Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Lots of panic over the starts of Byram and Newhook. Now both are having great seasons. :handclap:

This team will just continue to get better and better as these young guys make the NHL. Especially when they start to get comfortable 2-3 years in.

Reactions: jaems

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
In addition to his 5 points, Newhook was a +5 and had a team and game high 6 SOGs (BC had a total of 21 SOGs in the game).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So through 40 games Byram has 3 less points than he had through 40 games last year.

And doing so while focusing more on his defensive play at the request of Sakic.

Exactly the kind of draft+1 season you hope for from a young promising D man that gets sent back to junior.

Learning how to balance improved defensive play while continuing to produce offensively. It's not easy to do one well by itself, let alone both.

Very few can do both at a high level. That's what they're trying to groom Byram into.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I know that Newhook may want to return for a second season ala Makar and the Avs may want to be more patient with him, but if he continues on this trajectory, Sakic may feel like he has to make a push to sign him. His improvement is coming at such leaps and bounds (seemingly on a game by game basis) that he may be surpassing the level of college hockey by the end of the season. Just throwing it out there, although I am fine if he returns for a second season.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Please stop posting his scoring updates here. We are clearly going to trade him and our 1st this year for Drouin and I don’t want to get too attached.

upload_2020-2-15_19-4-12.gif

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
As of right now:

Newhook: 28 GP 16G 16A 32 pts
Zegras: 28 GP 11G 21A 32 pts
Caufield: 30GP 18G 14A 32 pts

It's crazy that Newhook is within 2 goals of Caufield IMO.

Considering how ridiculous a scorer Caufield is and the huge lead he had a couple weeks ago in Freshman scoring. Newhook has been on fire lately. Absolutely no question he is exceeding everyones expectations this year. The scouts who projected him as a Top 10 pick may have been right.

And I may get to eat some crow on him as I didn't love the pick at the time it was made.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

With 2 games in hand.

It will be interesting to see if he can keep this up until the end of the season. There's no reason to believe that he can't do it...he really took off after they put him at center and has been red hot ever since.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not trying to make a negative post, but more of a factual one in regards to that Newhook plays on the best of the three clubs. He has been a catalyst so not trying to take anything away from him, but that Zegras and Caufield numbers could technically be more impressive considering they are on more overall inconsistent teams.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Not trying to make a negative post, but more of a factual one in regards to that Newhook plays on the best of the three clubs. He has been a catalyst so not trying to take anything away from him, but that Zegras and Caufield numbers could technically be more impressive considering they are on more overall inconsistent teams.

That's definitely true, but my counter argument would be that BC wasn't really supposed to be as good as they have been this year. And they were pretty shitty earlier in the year. BC started really playing well almost around the same time Newhook really took off. I think he's been a major catalyst in the success they've had.

There's also the argument that Newhook has been playing most of his time on the 3rd line and only recently the 2nd line and still isn't getting Top PP time. Zegras and Caufield are getting more opportunities especially on the PP where Newhook hasn't gotten a big chance yet.

But you do make a point. BC is proving to be a very deep and strong team, and they are a very good College hockey program in general so it's maybe not a huge surprise to see Newhook trending in the right direction here.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Top players produce regardless of the team's performance and often get more quality ice time to make up for the lack of support. Look at McDavid over the years or the top 10 this year with Eichel, Panarin and P. Kane...

Only exception is when the team is VERY bad like the Wings this year or the Avs 4 years ago.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That's definitely true, but my counter argument would be that BC wasn't really supposed to be as good as they have been this year. And they were pretty ****ty earlier in the year. BC started really playing well almost around the same time Newhook really took off. I think he's been a major catalyst in the success they've had.

There's also the argument that Newhook has been playing most of his time on the 3rd line and only recently the 2nd line and still isn't getting Top PP time. Zegras and Caufield are getting more opportunities especially on the PP where Newhook hasn't gotten a big chance yet.

But you do make a point. BC is proving to be a very deep and strong team, and they are a very good College hockey program in general so it's maybe not a huge surprise to see Newhook trending in the right direction here.
That is true - in terms of them not being very hyped in the preseason polls, predications, and PP time. The same situation were presented to North Dakota as well, nobody really took them as a serious contender in the first third of the season. Nowadays though, we can confirm that BC is a very good team as well as North Dakota is and both should have a good chance to make the Frozen Four (on paper). It should be said though that Jerry York - who is the coach of BC - is probably the best coach ever at the NCAA level, so he'd be able to coach a team of Brandon Yips' to a Frozen Four appearance. I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure that Newhook has been the 2nd line centre for BC for a good month and a half now.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That is true - in terms of them not being very hyped in the preseason polls, predications, and PP time. The same situation were presented to North Dakota as well, nobody really took them as a serious contender in the first third of the season. Nowadays though, we can confirm that BC is a very good team as well as North Dakota is and both should have a good chance to make the Frozen Four (on paper). It should be said though that Jerry York - who is the coach of BC - is probably the best coach ever at the NCAA level, so he'd be able to coach a team of Brandon Yips' to a Frozen Four appearance. I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure that Newhook has been the 2nd line centre for BC for a good month and a half now.

I'm pretty sure it was only in the first game of the beanpot between BC and BU that Newhook moved up to the 2nd line.

He was mostly playing with Hardman and Rasanen before that. I think anyway.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
Newhook is going to a much better player than player than people around here think, easy 1C potential. The only reason they say he's a 2C is because Mackinnon is already filling in that 1C role so obviously we can only have players project to be 2Cs else things wouldn't neatly fit into their fantasy lineup. Got to love the skepticism about his skating, do they even watch him play? Maybe they confused him with #19 on his line, I know I did. Also didn't help that the announcer would call #19 Newhook either. When you watch him on the ice, he's clearly above everybody else in talent, like Boldy would make a skilled play here and there (A la Donskoi) but he isn't all that fast a skater where as Newhook is just electriic.

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Got to love the skepticism about his skating, do they even watch him play? Maybe the confused him with #19 on his line, I know I did. Also didn't help that announcer would call #19 Newhook either.

That was the best unintentionally funny post I've read here in a long time. :laugh:

Reactions: CobraAcesS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad