Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Newhook is going to a much better player than player than people around here think, easy 1C potential. People around here only say he got 2C potential cause we already have Mackinnon and we can't be having players not fitting into convenient roles in their fantasy line ups. Got to love the skepticism about his skating, do they even watch him play? Maybe the confused him with #19 on his line, I know I did. Also didn't help that announcer would call #19 Newhook either. When you watch on the ice it, he's clearly above everybody else in talent, like Boldy would make a skilled play here and there (A la Donskoi) but he isn't all that fast a skater where as Newhook is just electriic.
@henchman24 shots fired

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
The concerns about his skating were always strange to me as someone who just follows scouting reports. It seemed like most considered his skating elite. Always tossed out comparisons to Duchene/Barzal. Most had it as his best attribute.

I don't get to watch much hockey outside of the NHL these days so it always made me curious. I feel like skating is usually something that's agreed on and not as debated as other things. The fact that there were people who thought he was one of the best skaters in the draft and people who though he wasn't a good skater was confusing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
giphy.gif

(would like to be proven wrong)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont think anyone has said Newhook isn't a great skater.

The question is whether his skating is actually good enough for it to continue to be an impact ability at the NHL level. Especially with his size being on the smaller side. And its a legitimate concern. Hate to bring up Jost again, but he was considered a pretty great skater his draft year as well, and in college he showed real good speed and agility at that level as well.

But its a huge jump from college to the NHL and skating is one of the biggest reasons for that jump. We'll see how it turns out. Newhooks speed has surprised me and I definitely underrated his ability in his draft year. But I'm still not entirely convinced that he wont have some problems in that department at the NHL level.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I dont think anyone has said Newhook isn't a great skater.

The question is whether his skating is actually good enough for it to continue to be an impact ability at the NHL level. Especially with his size being on the smaller side. And its a legitimate concern. Hate to bring up Jost again, but he was considered a pretty great skater his draft year as well, and in college he showed real good speed and agility at that level as well.

But its a huge jump from college to the NHL and skating is one of the biggest reasons for that jump. We'll see how it turns out. Newhooks speed has surprised me and I definitely underrated his ability in his draft year. But I'm still not entirely convinced that he wont have some problems in that department at the NHL level.

From what I remember Jost was seen as a good skater by some, an average one by some, but nowhere close to what alot of people see Newhook as in terms of skating. I could be wrong but don't ever remember saying he was one of the best skaters in his draft. I remember comparisons to like Zach Parise. The most popular comparisons I've seen for Newhook have been Duchene and Barzal which would be strange choices if skating wasn't his best asset or atleast one of them.

Felt like the majority of scouting reports raved about all aspects of his skating where with Jost it was viewed as good/great. I could be wrong but I can't remember many people ever saying his skating was elite.

Reactions: avsfan09

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Newhook’s edges separates him from so many others. I’ve said that his straight line speed has been overrated but his agility, edges and ability to skate in small spaces is what makes him a special skater.

Think Duchene.
Duchene post knee injury then. Because before that he had amazing straight line speed as well.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Duchene post knee injury then. Because before that he had amazing straight line speed as well.
Newhook has great straight line speed too. I’m just saying it’s a little overrated. I think some people are expecting Mcdavid/Kapanen/AA type speed but he doesn’t have that. At least right now it’s nowhere near that.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I don't see any reason Newhook should play another year in college. He's got NHL size and putting up points per game as a Freshman. It's not like he's just picking up points with a linemate like Boeser.
See if he can start at 3C or possibly take Kadri's job by the end of the year, if not then have him play in the AHL.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Newhook’s edges separates him from so many others. I’ve said that his straight line speed has been overrated but his agility, edges and ability to skate in small spaces is what makes him a special skater.

Think Duchene.
A more recent comparison would be Kyle Connor.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We can pick all the names you want but I really don’t think you’re going to find a better comparable than Matt Duchene. Sometimes you feel like you’re actually watching Dutchy.

Good news is that you’ll never hear of a locker room rift with a Newfie.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
We can pick all the names you want but I really don’t think you’re going to find a better comparable than Matt Duchene. Sometimes you feel like you’re actually watching Dutchy.

Good news is that you’ll never hear of a locker room rift with a Newfie.

A more consistent Duchene hopefully.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
IF Newhook became Duchene without the locker room issues for us... that would be one hell of a 16th overall pick, let me tell ya.

Personally I still see more Barzal to his game than Duchene. But either way if he ends up that level of player, a guy that can produce 60+ points from the wing or down the middle, that's one fantastic selection and the type of pick that really could extend our window beyond the current Mack contract.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I had a feeling that would happen that his confidence would be rattled a bit after getting cut. He probably expected to be in the NHL this season and when that didnt happen well its like going back to the small town you grew up in after leaving for so many years lol.

Byram, Makar, Girard, Zadorov, Graves & Timmins will the the defensive benchmark of the entire league within 2-3 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad