Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think we are starting to get to an interesting conversation point with the Avs' system. Clearly, it has had good talent over the past few years and there is wide recognition over the strength of the pool. So from there it starts to turn to development. The Eagles have fully graduated two players to the Avs. Frank and Graves. Frank is not really a development success as much as a scouting success IMO, but he did get a year down there. Graves entered in with San Antonio and developed through Loveland. To me he is a clear development success. This year with the Eagles, you have Bowers, Timmins, and LOC certainly trending in the right direction. Werner and Kaut have both had some ups and downs, but there is positivity there. Of last year's Eagles team, Toninato also looks to be carving himself a role in the NHL over in Florida. San Antonio the previous season had Toni/Graves and also had Grimaldi who has found a role in the NHL. Grimaldi probably wouldn't have found that here, but Toni might be our call up with the injuries. There is also Dries who has been a solid AHL guy and wasn't all bad as a call up here. All in all, the past 3 seasons has produced 4 NHL players. There are 3 that are certainly trending well with some others who could join that group. If you go further back, you start thinning the players, but still Compher, Rantanen, and Z all spent a good amount of time in the minors.

Right now 5 of the 23 players on the Avs spent 40+ games with an Avs' minor league team. That is the same number as the Avs have drafted.
The only players who haven't developed at all are Meloche and Beaudin. I haven't watch Meloche a lot, but he's on a very bad team and he could look much better than what his numbers say. Beaudin is being played as a bottom 6er and he never ever had that sort of strengths to play in that role.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The only players who haven't developed at all are Meloche and Beaudin. I haven't watch Meloche a lot, but he's on a very bad team and he could look much better than what his numbers say. Beaudin is being played as a bottom 6er and he never ever had that sort of strengths to play in that role.
Greer stalled in the AHL too, that was a big failure as a hyped prospect. Nantel, Boikov, Mironov, Anderson, Shvyrev, Bigras, Martin, and now Henry and Saigeon are underwhelming too. Some of those are definitely scouting fails, but our AHL system has a troubling history of taking in prospects that have done well at lower levels and spitting out AHL/ECHL level players.

Reactions: ibengals

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Newhook laughs at your feeble curse of #18.

you-have-no-power-here-meme-feat-good-1-620x350.jpg
All jokes aside I really do hope he doesnt pick that number whenever he gets here.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Greer stalled in the AHL too, that was a big failure as a hyped prospect. Nantel, Boikov, Mironov, Anderson, Shvyrev, Bigras, Martin, and now Henry and Saigeon are underwhelming too. Some of those are definitely scouting fails, but our AHL system has a troubling history of taking in prospects that have done well at lower levels and spitting out AHL/ECHL level players.

Let's just wait on Henry. It's his first pro season and he's been on the 4th line the whole time.

Was Greer really hyped? I mean...obviously he hasn't met expectations but he's become a very good AHL player.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Let's just wait on Henry. It's his first pro season and he's been on the 4th line the whole time.

Was Greer really hyped? I mean...obviously he hasn't met expectations but he's become a very good AHL player.
This could be the haze of time affecting my memories, but the hype around here for Greer after he went to the Huskies was huge. His offense took off and he was considered a top prospect for us for a while. Granted, our prospect pool was generally a pile of wet ass at the time but from what I remember we were all pumped for him to take the next step in the AHL. It just never came.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This could be the haze of time affecting my memories, but the hype around here for Greer after he went to the Huskies was huge. His offense took off and he was considered a top prospect for us for a while. Granted, our prospect pool was generally a pile of wet ass at the time but from what I remember we were all pumped for him to take the next step in the AHL. It just never came.
A few posters hyped him up for sure. Alot of people were saying he was a steal at the spot we got him at. Im not even sure whats holding Greer back from being a regular in the NHL at this point? His skating? Discipline?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Statistically Newhook is now having a pretty damn good season.

Officially at PPG pace through 26, 13 Goals and 13 assists. Better offensive numbers than Turcotte and Boldy, similar production to Zegras, and he's closing the gap on Caufield as well. He's even catching Caufield in the goal scoring freshman race. He's 5 back but with 2 less games played.

After a slow start where he was pointless through 6 games he has been on a major tear since that adjustment period.

The easy thing to do is compare him to Jost and it's a fair thing to say that offensive production doesn't necessarily translate to NHL success even from freshman.

But Newhook is also doing what hes doing in a very different way than Jost. Jost benefited a tonne from playing alongside Boeser, playing top PP and Top 6 minutes. Newhook has been the 3rd line Center basically all year before his lines promotion last night. He also hasn't gotten the same PP opportunities as Jost and he doesnt have a Boser on his wing either. Jost is actually proving to be his lines own "Boeser" and seems to be the one creating for his line the most.

And while I'm still not totally convinced of his skating being an elite aspect of his game at the NHL level, I would comfortably say it's going to be quite a bit better than Josts if nothing else.

Long story short he's certainly exceeded my expectations this year. We have a real chance to develop a Quality Top 6 forward out of this pick, especially if Newhook goes back to College for a 2nd year to really develop further on both sides of the puck.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I wouldn't say Greer stalled at the AHL level, he stalled in breaking into the NHL. Greer has been an AHL all star and is a legit 1st line AHL sort of guy. He's a good player at that level. He's just not coachable enough and takes way too many damn penalties to break into the NHL. He's not talented enough to overcome the negatives in his game. IMO when you look at the Avs' failures, their reliance on being able to 'fix' skating seems very high. I think they underestimate how good of skaters players have to be now days. When they also get into later rounds, they also tend to pick a lot of low ceiling players. Players who don't have a ton of talent and upside, even if everything else translates. 6th or 7th picks, who cares? They lack regardless at that point (though there are still gems). But Anderson, Stienburg (likely), Saigeon, Henry, etc. These are players that are 3rd liners at best if they pan out... more like 4th liners or AHL role guys. I commend, even if I'm not a fan of the player personally, that they took a chance on Beaucage. Beaucage has the same skating issues as some of the other picks (maybe to a higher extent), but there are legit NHL skills in there. Weiss has a huge NHL detriment with his size and strength, but there is talent in his game. Shvy was a shot in the dark on talent that is failing because his skating is bad (clear now over here on small ice).

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I think Newhook is ready to be the 3C here next year. He looks physically ready for the NHL. Jost's days as an Avs seem to be coming to an end.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This would be a mistake. Fortunately all indications(IE @Cousin Eddie) suggest Newhook will be choosing to stay at BC for another year himself.

Well, Detroit did start Datsyuk that way, and we also started ROR that way.

I'm not advocating he come out after one year, but hes definitely more physically developed. Which will help at least.

As long as his skating translates I think he'll be fine either way.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think Newhook is ready to be the 3C here next year. He looks physically ready for the NHL. Jost's days as an Avs seem to be coming to an end.
Even if hes physically ready I don't want to see him until hes done his two years. Seattle will take care of Jost for us and Shane Bowers should be our 3C next season.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Well, Detroit did start Datsyuk that way, and we also started ROR that way.

I'm not advocating he come out after one year, but hes definitely more physically developed. Which will help at least.

As long as his skating translates I think he'll be fine either way.
I think it helps that he's already playing that role for BC. He plays 3C and kills penalties, hell Jost doesn't even kill penalties and he's our 3C. I'd argue Newhook is already a better fit than Jost is today.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think it helps that he's already playing that role for BC. He plays 3C and kills penalties, hell Jost doesn't even kill penalties and he's our 3C. I'd argue Newhook is already a better fit than Jost is today.

What if I told you that Jost was a mainstay of ND's PK?

I have zero doubt that Newhook will be better than Jost, but there isn't a real need to rush Newhook. He can play another season there and maybe still help at the end of next season.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What if I told you that Jost was a mainstay of ND's PK?

I have zero doubt that Newhook will be better than Jost, but there isn't a real need to rush Newhook. He can play another season there and maybe still help at the end of next season.

I think most feel that way. But we don't know if Jost actually taught them anything yet. So its unfortunately relevant lol.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
I really don't see any reason for Newhook to come out next year. The only obvious forward spot to free up will be Nieto, and the Avs have Kam, Bowers, and Kaut as options for that spot. Keep him in college for another year, and don't rush an ELC. The Avs will need ELC contributors to make the salary cap work in 3-4 years, and Newhook/Byram will be perfect for that.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I don't see any way you could sign Newhook after this season. While he's making it tough, look at what staying another year did for Makar in hindsight. Without even bringing Jost into the conversation, I think we need to look at Cale.

Makar went from a good, steady defenseman with upside in his first season, to the best player in college hockey in his second. While that most likely won't happen with Newhook, you'd have to think another year was the plan all along, for both sides.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I agree that there isn't a pressing need for him on our roster next year, so unless they plan to stash him in the AHL I don't know what they would even do with him in the pro system. Also, it makes sense to delay the start of his ELC for cap management reason. Makes so much more sense to let him simmer in the NCAA as a sophomore and then have him skip the AHL entirely and begin grooming him to replace Kadri.

That said, the fact does remain that Sakic tried to sign Makar out of college after one year. Newhook may not have the same commitment to college that Makar had, and the temptation to turn pro and start making money is a powerful one for a 19 year old who's been dreaming of the NHL his whole life. There is unfortunately a decent chance that he'll be racing to the NHL as soon as this season once BC is done. I hope not, but I won't be shocked if it happens either.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Is my memory really off or something? I specifically remember Boeser and Jost being played on different lines because they just didn’t show chemistry for the most part.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
One thing people forget all the time is that Newhook has mentioned already that he is really looking forward to be at BC with his sister. They are apparently very close and she is joining BC next year. She will be on the BC women hockey team. I would be very surprised if he turns pro at the end of this season...but again money has a way to change someone's mind.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
One thing people forget all the time is that Newhook has mentioned already that he is really looking forward to be at BC with his sister. They are apparently very close and she is joining BC next year. She will be on the BC women hockey team. I would be very surprised if he turns pro at the end of this season...but again money has a way to change someone's mind.
Didn't know that, that would be excellent if it works out that way. I really believe it would be best for all involved if he did two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad