Pre-Game Talk: 2019-20 Pro-Team Tank Thread - The Final Countdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
View attachment 261771

Even though we’re 0-2, we have played relatively well 5 on 5, Canucks are 3rd in the NHL for Corsi %

We were absolutely horrible 5-on-5 in the Calgary game. Just completely dismantled for the first two periods. Then score effects came into play in the 3rd as they sat on the lead.

We did outplay the Oilers at ES ... but they're the Oilers, and they're really bad.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Corsi is meaningless right now. 2 games, one of which we spent the entire time trailing. Teams that are behind get lots of shots because they're pressing, hoping something bounces their way.

We got 18 shots in the third against Calgary, more than doubling our first two period total, because the team with the lead just dumps it out and protects the lead.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Corsi is meaningless right now. 2 games, one of which we spent the entire time trailing. Teams that are behind get lots of shots because they're pressing, hoping something bounces their way.

We got 18 shots in the third against Calgary, more than doubling our first two period total, because the team with the lead just dumps it out and protects the lead.

Lol I’m trying hard to find some positives from this bad start, but yah agree it’s pretty meaningless.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Can’t wait to dig into our D depth once we have 2-3 injuries. They ought to hold the fort during our ‘must win’ season.

Reactions: Carl Carlson

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I don't think we have to wonder too much. They deny it through and through but I think it's pretty obvious at this point from all the rumors and events we've seen and heard over the course of the past 5 years or so that the owner is more involved in the hockey ops than should be. Plus, you don't sign a GM to a 3 yr extension if you have any reservations about his future.

All of us may not want to believe it but Benning isn't getting fired this season and likely not next either. He's obviously a yes man and that is exactly why the owners want... which is why even when Benning is finally fired we're still likely not going to get a qualified and competent team in replacement. Those type of people aren't willing to put their reputation on the line when the owner decides he wants to play fantasy hockey. We'll be cursed with another buffoon whose main job is to ask how high when the owner says jump.

This in spades and the sad part is that any replacement will probably be worse than Benning (who I'm no big fan of but at least he's got experience with a Cup winner).

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I believe this is literally impossible. Benning has made 600 bad moves, and like 3 good ones in his tenure.
Even the notorious "worst GMs ever" list had better ratios. And we've seen that a potato could draft as well.

We may well get our chance to find out, perhaps sooner than later...

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Good start to the tank, unfortunately I think it will be hard to eke out a good result tomorrow. Home opener against the lowly Kings who will be playing 2nd game of a back to back.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Expecting a win tomorrow but if LA loses tonight they might just be fired up enough to get the win against us on Wednesday.

The kings are not the kings of old anymore but realistically on paper their team is atleast as good as Vancouver. Just older.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Expecting a win tomorrow but if LA loses tonight they might just be fired up enough to get the win against us on Wednesday.

The kings are not the kings of old anymore but realistically on paper their team is atleast as good as Vancouver. Just older.

I dont think that is true at all.

They are really really really slow. Like really slow.

Doughty is better then any D man we have. Thats about it for advantages they have over us.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I dont think that is true at all.

They are really really really slow. Like really slow.

Doughty is better then any D man we have. Thats about it for advantages they have over us.
Both bottom 6 are a wash. D is a wash when they have doughty.
So its basically EP, horvat, boeser, miller, and maybe Pearson, VS Carter, Kovy, Kopitar, brown and maybe Kempe.

Not seeing how Vancouver is vastly superior. Younger and faster maybe. But all those guys on LA can score.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I follow Winnipeg closely and he's even worse than last year. Check the posts in their forum. You'll have a glimpse of what's coming ...

I've had a glimpse of what's coming (and yes, it is only a glimpse). He looked fine by me; strong offensively and sometimes suspect defensively. Just as advertised...

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Not putting too much weight since it's only been two games, but man our healthy roster is not jiving at all. Can you imagine what we will look like with the inevitable Tanev/Edler injuries? Watch Juolevi get recalled in early 2020. I can already picture it - he gets an assist on the PP and then goes -3 for the rest of the game and the Benning Bros hold on to that assist like it's a life raft.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
When our D starts getting injured and they will Benning will panic. Literally no qualified depth in the minors to call up. Other teams will help Jimmy out tho packaging and polishing up a former 1st round turd in exchange for a future 1st. It’s written in the cards. Great for the tank but disastrous for the future It’s like a Greek tragedy in 10 acts.

Last season Benning, with one depth goalie (Bachman) injured and out for the season leaving only three healthy goalies in the system voluntarily and without much thought lowered his number of healthy goalies under contract to the Canucks and playing pro hockey to two. It ultimately affected both the Canucks and the Comets.

Not about to make the same mistake again, this season he’s got SIX goalies taking up contract slots with the Canucks, including three in Utica alone. Nope, not making that mistake again. This season the circumstances are slightly different but in effect the trade he made to voluntarily gut his depth was on defence instead of in goal.

To use an old overused saying, the more things change, the more they remain the same.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Not putting too much weight since it's only been two games, but man our healthy roster is not jiving at all. Can you imagine what we will look like with the inevitable Tanev/Edler injuries? Watch Juolevi get recalled in early 2020. I can already picture it - he gets an assist on the PP and then goes -3 for the rest of the game and the Benning Bros hold on to that assist like it's a life raft.
Its awesome!
Jim Benning has bloated this team with so many 3rd and 4th liners that it should start affecting the top 6..like Leivo, Miller and Pearson in the top 6 :biglaugh:

I seriously hope this team completely implodes this year due to Bennings incompetence the last 5 years.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I"m a loyal rider of team tank, but I'm pessimistic about the future, even if Benning is gone soon. A new GM would have to be aggressive and creative in order to dump what needs to be dumped and acquire enough young assets soon enough to build a contender around the group of four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille