Pre-Game Talk: 2019-20 Pro-Team Tank Thread - The Final Countdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Rather than cluttering other threads with pro-tank talk I figure it's probably a good idea to regenerate our Team Tank thread since it will be going on strong once again.

GOALS:

Primary - Tank hard this season to finally usher in a managerial change.

Secondary - Obtain the best possible draft lottery odds in what is touted as a stacked draft.
Secondary - Obtain the highest possible pick in each subsequent round.

DISCUSSION:

This is likely it guys. After half a decade of managerial incompetence we are coming up to the end of Benning's contract. Squeaking into the playoffs likely earns Benning an extension, and even though it's probably that extension would be short-term we cannot afford the damage that he will continue to do to this organization. Some are convinced that Benning could be axed if the team suffers a bad start, I'm not so sure. Even so, that would likely lead to John Weisbrod taking over which is certainly not ideal. I suppose there is a possible reunion with Mike Gillis and that would absolutely be preferable, I am still of the belief that it will take a full season to finally purge this team of the stupidity that plagues it in the front office.

Beyond that, this is an absolutely stacked draft. No one will deny that the Canucks have added some nice pieces over the year due to the NHL draft rewarding bad teams with high picks, we have the potential to add an elite first line forward to our group at first overall if we win the lottery. The draft seems stacked at the top end with forwards, with some decent defensemen around the middle and back-end. Alexis Lafreniere would look perfect next to Pettersson and Boeser on the top line, ensuring JT Miller drops down to Bo Horvat's wing on the second line. That leaves a nice, cushy 2RW spot for Vasily Podkolzin when he eventually comes over, giving the Canucks a strong top 6 for years to come.

This would also be a great draft to add another 1st round pick, as right handed defenseman Jamie Drysdale would be an excellent addition to our defense group. He's a strong skating puck moving defenseman who could work on an opposite pairing to Quinn Hughes, giving us two pairings with elite puck movers if he develops well. He might move into the top 10 though with a strong showing this year, similar to how Byram exploded up the draft board, but given the quality forwards in the draft it's tough to project this far out.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
I don't think JB will be fired if he misses the playoffs this year.
Why? because its not likely they start all over while we're under the gun so to speak with the first rounder owed.
I expect in two years decisions will be made.
It should be obvious Aquaman is the one who wants into the playoffs and is the one behind the push so he is likely to give JB until the second year.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Why? because its not likely they start all over while we're under the gun so to speak with the first rounder owed.
It should be obvious Aquaman is the one who wants into the playoffs and is the one behind the push so he is likely to give JB until the second year.

That's a scary thought.

I think Aquilini expects playoffs, and Benning has likely promised playoffs were close (while Linden felt we weren't last year) and that's what led to Linden's exit. Two years of no playoffs kinda shows that Linden was right and Benning was wrong so I could see that leading to Aquilini bringing in someone who can try to build off of some of the young players we have.

Do I think we can make the playoffs in 2021? Probably not, but it will depend on what the new GM can do. There's a lot of bad contracts on this team that he'll have to clear.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i remain in the show me state as far as playoffs. maybe why not, but not a bet i'd make.

benning might survive if they are barely in the hunt i guess, but i expect a starker reality and either clear success or failure and departure by the end of january.

i think aquilini fires benning and induces chaos before the tdl if things are not going well. then he appoints either chiarelli or weisbrod as interim gm and they move some assets cheap. then we keep our pick next year and retool for the 21 playoffs under new leadership...

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Unfortunately, the transition from rebuild to competitive has already been botched.

Ideally you can leverage a year or two of your star players' ELCs to take a run at the post season, but this management team has saddled us with so many awful contracts, that won't be happening.

And unfortunately, but the time those contracts come off the books, we'll be resigning Pete and Hughes, so no real wiggle room.

siiiigh.
On to the optimistic! a bottom 5 finish this year probably means no more Jim, and this draft looks unreal.

Oh god that just means Weisbrod steps in doesn't it? Is there any light at the end of this tunnel?

Joe Rogan

Jun 21, 2019
With a competent management group to support and add minor pieces to the core of Petey, Bo, Boeser, Hughes and Demko, the Canucks will be a premier team in the league in the future. We need our own Stan Bowman. I'm eager to see our young core this season, and hopefully Jim's dismissal.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
That is a horrible reason to keep Benning. He is the reason we owe a future first rounder to begin with! If he keep trading 1st round picks, we keep him on indefinitely? No, you cut your loss with Benning and move forward as best you could. Keeping him longer means higher risk of him doing something more damaging to the future.
This team will finish 6-10 from the bottom, drop 3 spots in the lotto, miss the playoff and waste another year of Bo's career.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
That is a horrible reason to keep Benning. He is the reason we owe a future first rounder to begin with! If he keep trading 1st round picks, we keep him on indefinitely? No, you cut your loss with Benning and move forward as best you could. Keeping him longer means higher risk of him doing something more damaging to the future.
This team will finish 6-10 from the bottom, drop 3 spots in the lotto, miss the playoff and waste another year of Bo's career.

My only disagreement with your post is that you seem to assume the Acquilinis will respond in a rational way to the performance of the Canucks.

I have no such confidence in ownership.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Benning will get to the end of the season for sure. The only reason he’s still around is because anybody qualified doesn’t want anything to do with Aquilini. Nobody wants to work for the guy.

His twitter account is only making things worse in terms of attracting potential quality managers.

They’re literally going to have to go with an unknown and hope he knows what he’s doing.

Benning will be fired when they miss the playoffs this season barring an 0-41 start.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Benning will get to the end of the season for sure. The only reason he’s still around is because anybody qualified doesn’t want anything to do with Aquilini. Nobody wants to work for the guy.

His twitter account is only making things worse in terms of attracting potential quality managers.

They’re literally going to have to go with an unknown and hope he knows what he’s doing.

Benning will be fired when they miss the playoffs this season barring an 0-41 start.

I’ll be honest I’d love an 0-41 start or even like an 0-10 start.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
hey I'm on board for team tank.
love our young guys,but can't stand the idiots running this team,from top to bottom. Benning has no idea of what a defense is made of and keeps hoarding garbage forwards that no one wants.Hopfully he will not last this season.I pray anyways.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
To be honest I would want to see them in a playoff spot next spring. I also do want to see benning gone.

You realize these are almost certainly two completely incompatible outcomes, right?

If the Canucks are in a playoff spot next spring, Benning likely gets a mult-year extension. We are talking about an entire decade (at minimum) of Benning as GM if the Canucks are in a playoff spot next spring.

There is literally no downside to the Canucks being well out of a playoff spot by New Years. Benning gets fired and the Canucks get a high draft position in a strong draft year. True fans know what the ideal outcome is.

Reactions: Szechwan

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
If Benning can handle Eriksson and Sutter (which I don't think he can), and if Myers pans out (which I don't think he will), and if we make a legit cup run (LMAO I can't even say that shit with a straight face) then yeah, let Benning continue to warm the GM chair with his ass.

Otherwise, he should screw off like Chiarelli.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
My best hope is that by January the team is doing so badly that Jim is cut loose and a new, competent, GM is given the reins with carte blanche to reconfigure the team. Tank mode is then engaged with an eye to accumulating as many high picks as possible. A couple of 1st's would be nice, especially one who could play and contribute in the 20-21 season.

Because, if we tank this year, we'll really have to go for it in 20'21 , or else we'll lose a possible lottery pick to TB. Which, with our luck, will be that 1st OA that we've been waiting 50 years for.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
In my opinion, benning has sped up the rebuild and timeline of the team. Hes positioned us into a win now mentality with the miller trade. As much as I want us to tank, that pick is essential to our teams future. We need that pick badly. We need more high end talent if we want a chance at getting a cup.

I'm think we need to tank but the current situation makes it difficult to tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad