Pre-Game Talk: 2019-20 Pro-Team Tank Thread - The Final Countdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I"m a loyal rider of team tank, but I'm pessimistic about the future, even if Benning is gone soon. A new GM would have to be aggressive and creative in order to dump what needs to be dumped and acquire enough young assets soon enough to build a contender around the group of four.

This. I'm actually kind of on team tank too but for me it's kind of like chemotherapy; the losing has to be so complete, so absolute that FAQ will lose interest and finally give up and sell the team. Total destruction, cleansed by fire, etc. etc. Anybody know how his divorce is going?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Last season Benning, with one depth goalie (Bachman) injured and out for the season leaving only three healthy goalies in the system voluntarily and without much thought lowered his number of healthy goalies under contract to the Canucks and playing pro hockey to two. It ultimately affected both the Canucks and the Comets.

Not about to make the same mistake again, this season he’s got SIX goalies taking up contract slots with the Canucks, including three in Utica alone. Nope, not making that mistake again. This season the circumstances are slightly different but in effect the trade he made to voluntarily gut his depth was on defence instead of in goal.

To use an old overused saying, the more things change, the more they remain the same.

We had a solid backup in Nilsson; remind me again why we HAD to get rid of him...

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I"m a loyal rider of team tank, but I'm pessimistic about the future, even if Benning is gone soon. A new GM would have to be aggressive and creative in order to dump what needs to be dumped and acquire enough young assets soon enough to build a contender around the group of four.

My hoe is that after years of missing out on playoff revenue, that Aqua realizes he needs to **** off and stop meddling.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006

Realistically this isn't very likely.

Think about the timeline:

Benning has to be fired. This could happen at the end of this season but it's unlikely. So we could be stuck with him for 2-3 more years.

The new GM is hired. We don't actually know if this new GM is going to be competent or not. Sure, they would likely be better than Benning simply due to the fact that it would be extremely hard not to be, but this doesn't mean that they'll actually be good.

If we assume the GM is good, they will immediately realize that they need to clear the bad contracts and filler players to build a stronger supporting cast round Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes and Horvat.

This job is much easier said than done. It's unlikely that all of them can be traded off and therefore we will remain very limited in cap space while not having a strong supporting cast.

It's much more likely that we are doomed to wait until the contracts expire. At this point the core are in their mid-late twenties. This is their prime. They are all on their second contracts and any cap space free'd up by our expiring bloated contracts are eaten up by the core's raises.

Now it's up to the new GM to surround them with enough talent to contend. Again this is easier said than done because we won't have many assets to acquire talent with. Honestly it will depend a lot on our drafting and if we can have ELC players contributing for more than what they're getting paid.

Either way even though our core is very young and we look to have them for 6-8 years including their prime, realistically we will only be in a position to contend for 2-3 years of their stint with us.

If I had to rank the scenarios, i'd put them as follows:

Most likely: The primes of our core are wasted with a mediocre supporting cast. If they all peak at the same time we could make it to the second round and put up a good fight, but it wouldn't be enough to even make the WCF. This scenario occurs if Benning remains our GM or if the new GM isn't skilled enough to fix his mess quickly.

Somewhat likely: The new GM attempts to contend but fails due to the handicaps left behind by Benning. The core is sold off when they are around 29-30 years old for prospects and picks. The new GM begins his own rebuild.

Unlikely: The new GM is able to shed the poor contracts, acquire value in the draft and free agency, and can build a solid supporting cast around the core, who then can compete for a Cup.

Simply put, I think there are only a few GM's in the league that are capable of cleaning up Benning's mess in a timely manner. I think it's unlikely that our replacement GM has that level of skill.

I think it's much more likely that the only way to clean up Benning's mess is to sell off the core and rebuild from scratch, allowing all of the bad contracts to run their course and to draft well over the next several years.

The most annoying part about all of this is that we can all see it coming, but we still have to wait several years for the organization to realize that they're headed to a mediocrity purgatory.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

Benning has to be fired. This could happen at the end of this season but it's unlikely. So we could be stuck with him for 2-3 more years.

The new GM is hired. We don't actually know if this new GM is going to be competent or not. Sure, they would likely be better than Benning simply due to the fact that it would be extremely hard not to be, but this doesn't mean that they'll actually be good.

If we assume the GM is good, they will immediately realize that they need to clear the bad contracts and filler players to build a stronger supporting cast round Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes and Horvat.

This job is much easier said than done. It's unlikely that all of them can be traded off and therefore we will remain very limited in cap space while not having a strong supporting cast.

It's much more likely that we are doomed to wait until the contracts expire. At this point the core are in their mid-late twenties. This is their prime. They are all on their second contracts and any cap space free'd up by our expiring bloated contracts are eaten up by the core's raises.

Now it's up to the new GM to surround them with enough talent to contend. Again this is easier said than done because we won't have many assets to acquire talent with. Honestly it will depend a lot on our drafting and if we can have ELC players contributing for more than what they're getting paid.

Either way even though our core is very young and we look to have them for 6-8 years including their prime, realistically we will only be in a position to contend for 2-3 years of their stint with us.

Most likely: The primes of our core are wasted with a mediocre supporting cast. If they all peak at the same time we could make it to the second round and put up a good fight, but it wouldn't be enough to even make the WCF. This scenario occurs if Benning remains our GM or if the new GM isn't skilled enough to fix his mess quickly.

Somewhat likely: The new GM attempts to contend but fails due to the handicaps left behind by Benning. The core is sold off when they are around 29-30 years old for prospects and picks. The new GM begins his own rebuild.

Unlikely: The new GM is able to shed the poor contracts, acquire value in the draft and free agency, and can build a solid supporting cast around the core, who then can compete for a Cup.

Simply put, I think there are only a few GM's in the league that are capable of cleaning up Benning's mess in a timely manner. I think it's unlikely that our replacement GM has that level of skill.

I think it's much more likely that the only way to clean up Benning's mess is to sell off the core and rebuild from scratch, allowing all of the bad contracts to run their course and to draft well over the next several years.

The most annoying part about all of this is that we can all see it coming, but we still have to wait several years for the organization to realize that they're headed to a mediocrity purgatory.

I agree and you don't even mention the fact that it's harder to lure good players on reasonable contracts to Vancouver when comparing with the bigger metropolitan areas. Unless a player is from here (hello Jordie Benn) there is no compelling reason to sign here if there are other alternatives (hello Luke Schenn)...

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express

Ok full stop.
Wow! Great post but baby steps first.

Benning will get fired and it's going to be this year.

Our only hope is Aquilini! If he realizes all his mistakes over the years and decides to back off then we possibly have a chance.

If he fires Benning and promotes somebody within(Weisbro) then we absolutely know that Aquaman and his PR department is in full control.

Cap matters and so does player development.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Ok full stop.
Wow! Great post but baby steps first.

Benning will get fired and it's going to be this year.

Our only hope is Aquilini! If he realizes all his mistakes over the years and decides to back off then we possibly have a chance.

If he fires Benning and promotes somebody within(Weisbro) then we absolutely know that Aquaman and his PR department is in full control.

Cap matters and so does player development.

How often is a GM fired less than a year after signing a 3 year extension? You're setting yourself up for more disappointment if you think Benning is getting fired this year. Most of us in this thread are not Benning fans but let's get real. He's not going anywhere after just inking a 3 year extension in the spring. We're another 2 seasons away from him being fired. My opinion though.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
How often is a GM fired less than a year after signing a 3 year extension? You're setting yourself up for more disappointment if you think Benning is getting fired this year. Most of us in this thread are not Benning fans but let's get real. He's not going anywhere after just inking a 3 year extension in the spring. We're another 2 seasons away from him being fired. My opinion though.

Gillis was fired a few months after signing a 5 year extension.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
It happens a lot actually! Someone already mentioned Gillis but there’s tons of examples! If we are not in a playoff spot by Christmas I think Benning gets canned.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Yer right because Jimbo isn’t the one setting the organizational direction and Jimbo isn’t being evaluated by wins and losses.

Jimbo is saying what he’s being told to say and doing, to the best of his limited ability, whatever he’s being told to do and that’s exactly what the AIG wants.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Ultimately I think I support the tank, but I can't cheer for losses at this point in the season, so I'm just going to take solace that the other teams they should be battling with are off to decent/strong starts.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
This is the last year that I’m okay with missing the playoffs imo. This draft is just insane. Any one of :

Lafreniere
Byfield
Raymond
Holtz
Perfetti
Lundell
Lapierre
Askarov
Drysdale

would complete our core imo.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Should give the team more time, but honestly it's hard to not want to just give up on them.

and the future looks just as hopeless. They can tank for years and probably not end up as good as Colorado is now. f***ing hell.

Reactions: 420Canuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->