Pre-Game Talk: 2019-20 Pro-Team Tank Thread - The Final Countdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Can't be mad about that Hughes goal, super happy to see him score his first NHL goal at home on a big blast (something we haven't really seen from him yet).

The Sutter goal....on the other hand...

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Not concerned. Against the LA Kings; likely a bottom 3 team by the end of the year, and on a prominent night for the franchise the team will be more fired up to win than usual.

Hopefully LA can claw back into this game in typical LA fashion, though this is not the LA team we're used to.

Reactions: xtr3m

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
If we're going to win I'd rather win in a blowout like this than win some dumb 2-1 SO win.

Yep came here to say the exact same thing.

At least Hughes is looking good and we're embarrassing Quick.

This team is notorious for ugly, meaningless wins. At least this is an entertaining blowout and it's against one of the few teams we are expected to win against so it's not a huge disappointment.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Tonight was always a long shot.

LA is forecasted by EA to finish 20 points below us.

Mediocre team beats trash team.

More news at 11.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
If we stay healthy, I do think this roster has a fighting chance for the playoffs. We still have needs on the blue line and some more scoring would be great but at some point the team needs to improve. We have some great young players that I don’t want to develop in a losing environment. I’ve been pro tank since the season ending of 2012 but this is the first time I’m ok with trying to compete for the playoffs.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
If we stay healthy, I do think this roster has a fighting chance for the playoffs.

The ultimate goal is to contend for the Stanley Cup. Merely contending for a playoff spot is extremely far away from contending for a Cup.

We still have needs on the blue line and some more scoring would be great but at some point the team needs to improve.

And how exactly do you propose we do that, other than tanking for a high draft pick?

We have some great young players that I don’t want to develop in a losing environment.

This has been debunked over and over. Toews and Kane had no problem winning multiple Cups after losing in their early years. Same with Crosby and Malkin.

Good players are never held back by a "losing environment."

People incorrectly thought the Oilers were holding back RNH and Yakupov. Turns out that they just weren't that good. Had nothing to do with the "environment."

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
The ultimate goal is to contend for the Stanley Cup. Merely contending for a playoff spot is extremely far away from contending for a Cup.

And how exactly do you propose we do that, other than tanking for a high draft pick?

This has been debunked over and over. Toews and Kane had no problem winning multiple Cups after losing in their early years. Same with Crosby and Malkin.

People incorrectly thought the Oilers were holding back RNH and Yakupov. Turns out that they just weren't that good. Had nothing to do with the "environment."

We could be tanking for years if the goal is to draft a #1D man, as we’ve witness tanking no longer means top draft pick. A team doesn’t just wake up one season and become a contender, becoming a playoff team is part of the process.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
If we stay healthy, I do think this roster has a fighting chance for the playoffs. We still have needs on the blue line and some more scoring would be great but at some point the team needs to improve. We have some great young players that I don’t want to develop in a losing environment. I’ve been pro tank since the season ending of 2012 but this is the first time I’m ok with trying to compete for the playoffs.

A few months ago I said this could be a bubble team and I still feel that way today. Too many teams in the West got older and are now starting to regress. There are some bad teams in the West this year. The Canucks have too many good young pieces in place to be a lottery team anymore. If Hughes turns out to be the real deal he'll dramatically change the way this team plays. I'm not saying this team is a contender but I definitely think they're a bubble team.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
We could be tanking for years if the goal is to draft a #1D man, as we’ve witness tanking no longer means top draft pick. A team doesn’t just wake up one season and become a contender, becoming a playoff team is part of the process.

Agreed but a team doesn’t go from playoff contender(not participant even) to a cup contender with no cap space.

The organization has sold its soul to be a playoff contender and maxed out

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006

This team has been one of the worst teams in the league in the last 4 years, with more losses than any other NHL team. How has that affected Horvat's development?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

You mean the losing environment Benning has brought in here for the past half decade? :laugh:

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Agreed but a team doesn’t go from playoff contender(not participant even) to a cup contender with no cap space.

The organization has sold its soul to be a playoff contender and maxed out

I agree about our cap space, our management has blown too much of it on meaningless players that don’t earn it. It’s not ok to have 16 million tied up to Ericksson, Schaller, Beagle, Benn and Roussel, if you want to add in Sutter’s 4.3 million that’s over 20 million, our GM needs to learn how to manage this better. You don’t over pay for 4th liners and older veterans with concussion history.

Last edited:
Reactions: xtr3m

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I agree about our cap space, our management has blown too much of it on meaningless players that don’t earn it. It’s not ok to have 16 million tied up to Ericksson, Schaller, Beagle, Benn and Roussel, if you want to add in Sutter’s 4.3 million that’s over 20 million, our GM needs to learn how to manage this better. You don’t over pay for 4th liners and older veterans with concussion history.
The problem is he doesn't learn. After Eriksson people are saying "Bennings got to learn not to overpay UFA", then he sign Beagle Roussell and Schaller in one summer, people are saying "Bennings got to learn not to overpay UFA", then the summer after its Myers Benn and Ferland. See a pattern?
Or after he overpay his own RFAs in Sbisa and Dorset, people are saying "Benning has to manage the cap better". Then he re-up Sutter to $4m per plus a retroactive NTC, people are still saying "Benning has to manage the cap better". Then come Gudbranson, after that its Beartschi who just cleared waiver.
This is NOT a man who learns from his mistake. This is NOT a man who has shown the ability to "be better". This is a man who makes the same mistake over and over. To allow this guy to stay in charge while expecting different result is...naive, thats the nicest way I can put it tbh.

Reactions: pomorick and vanuck

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
The problem is he doesn't learn. After Eriksson people are saying "Bennings got to learn not to overpay UFA", then he sign Beagle Roussell and Schaller in one summer, people are saying "Bennings got to learn not to overpay UFA", then the summer after its Myers Benn and Ferland. See a pattern?
Or after he overpay his own RFAs in Sbisa and Dorset, people are saying "Benning has to manage the cap better". Then he re-up Sutter to $4m per plus a retroactive NTC, people are still saying "Benning has to manage the cap better". Then come Gudbranson, after that its Beartschi who just cleared waiver.
This is NOT a man who learns from his mistake. This is NOT a man who has shown the ability to "be better". This is a man who makes the same mistake over and over. To allow this guy to stay in charge while expecting different result is...naive, thats the nicest way I can put it tbh.

So far I’m ok with the Myers deal, he’s been better than expected but not sure if it was a needed signing as we’re on the outside looking in. But I do agree with you, he does likes to use UFA signings a bit more than I’m comfortable with given we’re not a contender going for it all, I think that’s your opportunity to be trading picks and signing UFA’s to fill those last holes. Canucks have been trading picks and making signings but we still have holes to fill, although Myers and Miller are looking like solid pieces so far.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Can't be mad about that Hughes goal, super happy to see him score his first NHL goal at home on a big blast (something we haven't really seen from him yet).

The Sutter goal....on the other hand...

What's funny is that everyone kept saying that one of Hughes's weaknesses was his shot...

And yet, in three games, he's put a player on IR and scored a goal with said shot lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->