Pre-Game Talk: 2019-20 Pro-Team Tank Thread - The Final Countdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Problem is, if Green gets fired that likely means Benning doesn't.

Green will no doubt be the fall guy as Benning just signed a new 3 year extension. I don't see Benning going anywhere unfortunately. Even if/when this team crash and burns. Benning is the perfect puppet for this overcontrolling owner. We are likley stuck with him for another 2 season at least.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Green will no doubt be the fall guy as Benning just signed a new 3 year extension. I don't see Benning going anywhere unfortunately. Even if/when this team crash and burns. Benning is the perfect puppet for this overcontrolling owner. We are likley stuck with him for another 2 season at least.

We miss the playoffs this year and Benning is firmly cemented with GM legends such as Doug MacLean and Mike Milbury. It's actually pretty historic that he even has a chance to miss the playoffs in 5 straight years.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
ErtegMQ.png

Guis I'm so excited.

uHb0R2J.gif
LOL

But all seriously, tank on, BRUTAL start to the season. Time to fire GM/Coach/Eriksson/Sutter

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The special 50th anniversary season is for setting records!

Usually this team has a good October giving most fans a false hope. Looks like we're ahead of schedule this time.

Yeah really you can't read too much into the first few games, winning and losing will come and go, but considering the team usually starts better than they actually are it will be much funner if they just start in a hole right out of the gate.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Too early to get excited, but definitely a solid start to the tank.

Beautiful giveaway by Myers on the game winning goal. Not sure it rises quite to the level of Eriksson's empty-netter in his first game as a Canuck, but it's pretty damn close.

If they lose the home opener to start 0-3, all against division rivals, I'd say a quiet "hell yeah" was in order.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
lololo!

I found this gif and if anybody has some photoshop skillz please insert the following.....

Jim Bennings head on that fine lady.
big block letters PLAYOFFS on that sweet little dog.
The Canuck franchise emblem on the top of the apartment building.

wait for it.

giphy.gif

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Dallas and Winnipeg both lost in regulation to teams from the East.

I've got to calm down, or I'll never make it to the trade deadline (after that I'm allowed to panic).

Reactions: yvrtojfk

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

This is what scares me. While Benning is far from blameless for some truly awful decisions. One has to wonder just how much Aquilini is breathing down his neck, and if that will only continue with another GM. I really want to hope that if we completely collapse this season, that's enough to wake Aquilini up and finally fix the actual problems: Himself being too involved and Jim Benning.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
How many coaches does a GM get to fire before the heat is on him? He got to play that card with Willie Desjardins. Historically it should be his job in the crosshairs next, but I never expected him to get extended once, let alone twice.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
How many coaches does a GM get to fire before the heat is on him? He got to play that card with Willie Desjardins. Historically it should be his job in the crosshairs next, but I never expected him to get extended once, let alone twice.

He's already fired Desjardins.

It's no coincidence that Green is still coach despite failing to make the playoffs, ever.

Normally a GM gets to fire one coach before getting fired himself, but with FAQ, who the hell knows?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
He's already fired Desjardins.

It's no coincidence that Green is still coach despite failing to make the playoffs, ever.

Normally a GM gets to fire one coach before getting fired himself, but with FAQ, who the hell knows?

Nothing is normal. A GM misses the playoffs multiple years in a row you expect him to be fired, not extended.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
This is what scares me. While Benning is far from blameless for some truly awful decisions. One has to wonder just how much Aquilini is breathing down his neck, and if that will only continue with another GM. I really want to hope that if we completely collapse this season, that's enough to wake Aquilini up and finally fix the actual problems: Himself being too involved and Jim Benning.

I don't think we have to wonder too much. They deny it through and through but I think it's pretty obvious at this point from all the rumors and events we've seen and heard over the course of the past 5 years or so that the owner is more involved in the hockey ops than should be. Plus, you don't sign a GM to a 3 yr extension if you have any reservations about his future.

All of us may not want to believe it but Benning isn't getting fired this season and likely not next either. He's obviously a yes man and that is exactly why the owners want... which is why even when Benning is finally fired we're still likely not going to get a qualified and competent team in replacement. Those type of people aren't willing to put their reputation on the line when the owner decides he wants to play fantasy hockey. We'll be cursed with another buffoon whose main job is to ask how high when the owner says jump.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zippgunn

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
When our D starts getting injured and they will Benning will panic. Literally no qualified depth in the minors to call up. Other teams will help Jimmy out tho packaging and polishing up a former 1st round turd in exchange for a future 1st. It’s written in the cards. Great for the tank but disastrous for the future It’s like a Greek tragedy in 10 acts.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Everybody keeps saying "If we miss the playoffs, Benning is gone", but I just don't see it. We've already done that multiple times, and all it convinced ownership to do was to re-up him twice.

Would a long losing streak to start the year do it? That's my only hope.

But I fear they'd just can Green, and keep Bozo.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Everybody keeps saying "If we miss the playoffs, Benning is gone", but I just don't see it. We've already done that multiple times, and all it convinced ownership to do was to re-up him twice.

Would a long losing streak to start the year do it? That's my only hope.

But I fear they'd just can Green, and keep Bozo.
I think there is levels to missing the playoffs, if they miss by a point or two, a la Montreal last year he'll get the year and might even get to bring in a new coach, but if this team is an 84 point team and the playoff bar is 93+ like most years, he's gone.

Because I think even his most ardent supporters would finally come around to calling for his head after setting a franchise record for consecutive playoff misses. They're might be chants are the Rog this year.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
B7CBBB4A-4640-4436-A000-86C29BCB53B1.png

Even though we’re 0-2, we have played relatively well 5 on 5, Canucks are 3rd in the NHL for Corsi %

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad