Pre-Game Talk: 2019-20 Playoff Watch Thread

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
The more I think about Brandon Sutter, the more I dislike him. This is supposed to be where he comes in and helps the young guns. I mean I never believed that he was "foundational", but I thought that we would at least be a good 3rd liner who provides some grit and veteran stability. Takes an awful penalty in the 3rd that led to the CBJ collapse. Provides zero defensive help so Bo has to be our defensive #1 centre rather than offensive #2. AND he thinks it is appropriate to call out other players for their "balls". What an awful player and veteran. I think I dislike him more that Eriksson now.

Sutter was already physically broken down 2 years ago. How can a guy that has had 2 confirmed groin surgeries and another groin injury again this year, be able to even skate at all.

It was a horrible signing. Still have another year left on that gross contract too, what a waste of a roster spot.

Canucks are in a really tough spot. The next few games are pretty rough and we still have to play the Yotes twice more this season, VGK TWICE more, Dallas once more, and Tampa again as well. Schedule is not really helping us out too much and the if the boys don't hunker down and get it done, then RIP playoff hope

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
The best thing for this franchise is for the team to miss the playoffs. This team is going nowhere with Benning calling the shots.

The best thing for this franchise would be to make the playoffs and burn off that first rounder. The best thing for tankers would be to pick 15th, give up the unprotected 2021 1st to NJ and have Benning fired. These are two very different things.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The more I think about Brandon Sutter, the more I dislike him. This is supposed to be where he comes in and helps the young guns. I mean I never believed that he was "foundational", but I thought that we would at least be a good 3rd liner who provides some grit and veteran stability. Takes an awful penalty in the 3rd that led to the CBJ collapse. Provides zero defensive help so Bo has to be our defensive #1 centre rather than offensive #2. AND he thinks it is appropriate to call out other players for their "balls". What an awful player and veteran. I think I dislike him more that Eriksson now.

Meanwhile Nick Bonino won two Cups as the defensively oriented 3C for the Pens. And at a cheaper price point.

A Benning classic.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The best thing for this franchise is for the team to miss the playoffs. This team is going nowhere with Benning calling the shots.

Bolded is true. But even if they miss, Benning isn't going anywhere.

This team is still going to be stuck in purgatory for a while.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
I have decided to drink a shot of whiskey every day or until the Canucks are officially eliminated or they officially in the playoffs. What is the over/under which occurs first? My liver explodes or the Canucks make the playoffs? :cool:

Reactions: dps

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I have decided to drink a shot of whiskey every day or until the Canucks are officially eliminated or they officially in the playoffs. What is the over/under which occurs first? My liver explodes or the Canucks make the playoffs? :cool:

A shot a day will not cause your liver to explode; however, it may cause your bank account to implode depending on your taste in whiskey.

Reactions: xtra and Sneezy

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
RIP your liver.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Canucks out of a playoff spot now after that Jets win. Who’d have thought that would happen back when they were leading the division?

Honestly i was not sure how so many people considered them a lock including sports media, they had 20 some games left and very little separating playoff teams from non playoff teams when looking at points.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am toxic

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
We would need to go about 8 and 6 for the remainder of the season. That would give us 92 points and a prime spot for a first round ass-kicking. Probably from Vegas.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Honestly i was not sure how so many people considered them a lock including sports media, they had 20 some game lefts and very little separating playoff teams from non playoff teams when looking at points.
I think if you looked at it back then, all they needed to do was to play .500 hockey for the remainder of the season and they should make it. They've gone 5-9-2 in the past 16 games. If they didn't choke away the Arizona and Columbus games that could be 7-7-2 and they're sitting above Calgary with two games in hand. It really shouldn't have been hard in the position they put themselves in... but it's the Canucks we're talking about.

Reactions: dps

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
They're still going to make it, Arizona and Calgary are not good teams at all and the Canucks have the easiest schedule. 3rd in Pacific is there for the taking.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I'm not sayin' it has anything to do with closing that thread that starts with t, ends with k, has an in the middle and rhymes with tank.

Jus sayin'

I would be sweatin bullets if I was getting smug over maybe achieving mediocrity only to watch it begin to slip away.

Reactions: vanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad