Pre-Game Talk: 2019-20 Playoff Watch Thread

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
This is the same type of argument as when Bonino wasn't a good player because of how he looked in a 6-game sample against CGY, or that the Sedins weren't good because they looked poor against Boston.

Gillis really hit a home run with that Hodgson for Kassian and Gragnani trade, though. Forget Kassian, Gragnani was a playoff beast and it obviously was very illuminating on the type of career he would have. 7 points in 7 playoff games, what a run.

ykorFrg.png

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Ok but I don’t know what Coronavirus has to do with anything . My tv was out yesterday so I didn’t see the game

to prove I’m not a jinx

I really wonder what the odds would have had to be for someone to put money down if you said JT Miller would be one of 6 players on our team to have played all 69 games this year.

he’s been a true warrior

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
First, no Markstrom. Now, no Tanev.

Not looking good, even if their injuries only end up overlapping for a handful of games. The Canucks margin for error was already incredibly slim before Tanev got injured. They've had a losing record without Markstrom yet they almost certainly need to be a .500 team over their final 13 games to cling on to a wildcard spot. If they can't manage that without Marky, how do they manage it without Marky and Tanev?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
First, no Markstrom. Now, no Tanev.

Not looking good, even if their injuries only end up overlapping for a handful of games. The Canucks margin for error was already incredibly slim before Tanev got injured. They've had a losing record without Markstrom yet they almost certainly need to be a .500 team over their final 13 games to cling on to a wildcard spot. If they can't manage that without Marky, how do they manage it without Marky and Tanev?

By bringing up all that NHL level depth Benning was bragging about at the beginning of the season?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I would say it's more analogous to moving on from LFR to Mythics or Time Trials, or from random BG's to Arena. If your 3 vs 3 isn't communicating and working as a team, they will get stomped. You can't just throw a bunch of new players in vent and expect to get a 2600 rating. You wouldn't expect a random BG team to beat a pre-made.

When you are in a 7 game battle against a team, you have to quickly learn what the other team's weaknesses are and hope they don't exploit yours. The playoffs can be very illuminating too, it became clear that Lack wasn't an NHL starter after that tire fire of a series vs Calgary. Regular season success doesn't mean much if you can't bring it in a playoff series. This game may be getting younger in general, but there is a reason that vets usually get it done in the playoffs. They've been through these battles, these dissections of their team, of their own skills and have learned. You'll never get that from some random regular season game, you are in and out, off to the next destination.

Yeah. Is that what we've been seeing for the last six seasons? How have all those vets Benning's overpaid for got it done for us? Because what I've been seeing is that the team can't even bloody get to the playoffs with the roster bloated with all the veteran crap. Agh, you know what? This is just more of the same old argument that's been repeated over and over and over since Benning got here. Overpaying for intangibles is the big reason why they haven't got enough players with enough f***ing tangibles to even get to the playoffs much less win in them.

As for the cap, we are compliant and contracts will be coming off the books. As for Tanev, if he's asking for more than $3.5M let him walk, the offense dies on his stick. There's a reason we were only offered mid round picks for him.
And we replace Tanev with who? Someone who can defend even half as well as he can? I mean, hello, yesterday the Canucks gave up almost 50 shots against to a team that isn't even in playoff position. How many defensive breakdowns a game do you see when you watch the games? Because there's a reason why so many people predicted a DOA season once Markstrom stopped saving their asses every game.

Have you seen whose contracts those are coming up for renewal this next season? Or looked at how much money there is currently stashed away in LTIR? Or had a look at the bonus situation for Pete and Quinn?

Reactions: I am toxic

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Pretty lucky for Benning and the team the seasons about to be suspended playing their worst hockey at the worst time with the worst injuries.

Reactions: vanuck

Love

Feb 29, 2012
As far as I can see this season is over. NBA suspending the season means the NHL will within a week.

So there’s our run at the playoffs.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Posted this elsewhere, but presumably the standings would be based on pts% as that's the only logically method. After tonight that would put the Canucks in 3rd place in the Pacific.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Im not sure how the NHL would abandon their own official standings and then re seed playoffs by pts %.
I wouldn't be surprised if they just went with whatever the standings say on the day they suspend the season, regardless of games played..

But I suppose anything could happen.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
More likely that they would shorten the first couple of rounds to best of 5 or best of 3 than cancel regular season games. Non playoff teams still need that revenue.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
single-game elimination or bust
Why not a tournament for all the teams with the top team (bruins in this case getting a bye)

2 vs 31
3 vs 30
in a best of 3 or single game elimination

Etc. After the first round you have 16 teams And then you do a best of 3 or single elimination

Imagine the chaos if detroit got hot and eliminated a couple of teams.

If you did best of 3 every team would get some playoff revenue

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Why not a tournament for all the teams with the top team (bruins in this case getting a bye)

2 vs 31
3 vs 30
in a best of 3 or single game elimination

Etc. After the first round you have 16 teams And then you do a best of 3 or single elimination

Imagine the chaos if detroit got hot and eliminated a couple of teams.

If you did best of 3 every team would get some playoff revenue
lol hell yeah

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
also, L.A. could do damage in that scenario

The absolute chaos it woudl cause and the excitement and media buys would be great.

I’d go so far as to base the draft off the results of the tournament. If Detroit gets hot and makes it to the 3rd round they would get a pick in the bottom 10 but I bet the fans would enjoy the run.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Without both Tanev and Markstrom the Canucks are ****ed anyways. They were pretty ****ed with just Markstrom out. Tanev out too is going to be a disaster. Going to have to score 5+ goals a game to sustain.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Im not sure how the NHL would abandon their own official standings and then re seed playoffs by pts %.
I wouldn't be surprised if they just went with whatever the standings say on the day they suspend the season, regardless of games played..

That makes even less than no sense, but it's the NHL so...

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Yeah. Is that what we've been seeing for the last six seasons? How have all those vets Benning's overpaid for got it done for us? Because what I've been seeing is that the team can't even bloody get to the playoffs with the roster bloated with all the veteran crap. Agh, you know what? This is just more of the same old argument that's been repeated over and over and over since Benning got here. Overpaying for intangibles is the big reason why they haven't got enough players with enough f***ing tangibles to even get to the playoffs much less win in them.

And we replace Tanev with who? Someone who can defend even half as well as he can? I mean, hello, yesterday the Canucks gave up almost 50 shots against to a team that isn't even in playoff position. How many defensive breakdowns a game do you see when you watch the games? Because there's a reason why so many people predicted a DOA season once Markstrom stopped saving their asses every game.

Have you seen whose contracts those are coming up for renewal this next season? Or looked at how much money there is currently stashed away in LTIR? Or had a look at the bonus situation for Pete and Quinn?

We'll see what he gets on the open market. We do know that trade interest in Tanev has been low and we've been low-balled on him. One defensive defenseman isn't going to solve our overall team defense problem. Ferlund probably won't play again so that's coming off the books. I expect Sven to be bought out. LE, who knows what happens there, especially after he gets his signing bonus July 1st. That's not such a bad real dollar contract for a team just looking to be compliant with the cap floor, certainly wouldn't be impossible to move after that signing bonus is paid. Then the cap could also be going up by as much as $6M. There are ways to move things around and make it work.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00