Pre-Game Talk: 2019-20 Playoff Watch Thread

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Why not a tournament for all the teams with the top team (bruins in this case getting a bye)

2 vs 31
3 vs 30
in a best of 3 or single game elimination

Etc. After the first round you have 16 teams And then you do a best of 3 or single elimination

Imagine the chaos if detroit got hot and eliminated a couple of teams.

If you did best of 3 every team would get some playoff revenue

31 team one-game elimination tournament. Number 1 team gets a bye. Finals is a best of 3

whoa with the copyright infringement

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the NHL regular seasons ends tomorrow, speculation is that the 16 teams currently in a playoff position today would start the Stanley Cup playoffs in April.

And after tonight's action, that would the leave the Canucks in 9th in the West, because although they're tied with Nashville, they have two fewer ROW's. Somehow it would be typically Vancouver Canuck ending to their 50th anniversary season.

But makes you realize how costly those blown leads to Columbus and Arizona could become. Just had a feeling about those games for some reason.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I just don’t see a shortened season, especially this late in the year where it’s going to piss off a lot of owners and teams.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think if the season gets called off in the next few days...It's just cancelled ..as simple as that.

Get ready for training camp in September

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Why not a tournament for all the teams with the top team (bruins in this case getting a bye)

2 vs 31
3 vs 30
in a best of 3 or single game elimination

Etc. After the first round you have 16 teams And then you do a best of 3 or single elimination

Imagine the chaos if detroit got hot and eliminated a couple of teams.

If you did best of 3 every team would get some playoff revenue

I get where you're coming from, but this is too complex and time consuming. Besides, do we really need to see Detroit potentially take out the Lightning in a single game elimination format?

My suggestion is that the NHL should look at the current standings at the moment of suspension and decide if there is any conflict between points earned and points%. If not, they'd just go with the standings. If there is, they could do a limited game/series to see which 8 teams make it from each conference.

For example, in the West right now, the Jets are ahead of both the Predators and the Nucks on raw points, but behind on points%. Rather than giving every team below them in the standings a chance, the NHL could do some sort of rapid round robin series to see which 2 of the 3 teams make the playoffs.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Damn, I missed this. It's a great idea and would be hella entertaining.

Lol no worries and I actually think it’s a good idea all round.

I just keep thinking imagine Detroit gets hot and then knocks off st. Louis and Colorado how crazy would it be. And you could get some amazing random matchups

Blues

Redwings

Colorado

Ottawa

Lightning

Sharks

Capitals

Kings

Flyers

Ducks

Penguins

Devils

Knights

Sabers

Oilers

Canadiens

Stars

Blackhawks

Hurricanes

Coyotes

Maple leafs

Wild

Blue jackets

Predators

Islanders

Panthers

Jets

Canucks

Rangers

Flames
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I get where you're coming from, but this is too complex and time consuming. Besides, do we really need to see Detroit potentially take out the Lightning in a single game elimination format?

My suggestion is that the NHL should look at the current standings at the moment of suspension and decide if there is any conflict between points earned and points%. If not, they'd just go with the standings. If there is, they could do a limited game/series to see which 8 teams make it from each conference.

For example, in the West right now, the Jets are ahead of both the Predators and the Nucks on raw points, but behind on points%. Rather than giving every team below them in the standings a chance, the NHL could do some sort of rapid round robin series to see which 2 of the 3 teams make the playoffs.

but where woudl you draw the cut off as there’s an outside chance that even the blackhawks make it in. Not probable but possible and truthfully did you want to see Columbus take out the lightning last year? I didn’t but it happens

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
but where woudl you draw the cut off as there’s an outside chance that even the blackhawks make it in. Not probable but possible and truthfully did you want to see Columbus take out the lightning last year? I didn’t but it happens

At the moment the NHL suspends the season, any team that is not top 8 in either points earned or points% is eliminated from the playoffs.

It's harsh perhaps, but at least it's justifiable. The season is already 85% done: that's easily a large enough sample size to make such a decision.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
At the moment the NHL suspends the season, any team that is not top 8 in either points earned or points% is eliminated from the playoffs.

It's harsh perhaps, but at least it's justifiable. The season is already 85% done: that's easily a large enough sample size to make such a decision.
I mean we are talking millions of dollars here; I’d bet you need 2/3 majority of owners to get this agreed and if I’m any of the 7 teams just on the outside I don’t agree to this where I lose playoff revenue that goes straight to my pocket.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I mean we are talking millions of dollars here; I’d bet you need 2/3 majority of owners to get this agreed and if I’m any of the 7 teams just on the outside I don’t agree to this where I lose playoff revenue that goes straight to my pocket.

First off, I'm not die-hard committed to my idea.. it's just a suggestion and I'm not reflexively fanatical about it.

That being said, 7/31 is less than one third, so it could still get the required two thirds majority But beyond all that, COVID-19 presents an extraordinary situation so I could see extraordinary measures being enacted by the BoG to mitigate revenue inequities caused by it.

I'm way more committed to the idea that there's an awful lot of complexity being discussed at high levels that go way beyond my own personal level of information.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I think this seasons toast. The moment a player or coaching staff member gets a confirmed case its done and there are probably some already infected. Things will probably get quite a bit worse before they start getting better.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I just don’t see a shortened season, especially this late in the year where it’s going to piss off a lot of owners and teams.
It's going to be short, how short is the question.
As other posters mentioned 72 games seems pretty obvious at this point.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Canucks never really had a chance at a chip this year so it’s not too bad from a hockey perspective.

As a LeBron fan - with the Lakers being this strong and Bron being in year 17 this is completely breaking my heart. It’s obviously the right decision but it just f***ing sucks to potential kill his last bid at a chip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad