GDT: 2019-20 Other Games Around the League

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Oh please, come on, you left out the one sentence my entire response to you centered around. Are you just joking with me now?

I quoted this post:

Then in my original response to you argued mainly against that first sentence by explaining that Donskoi had almost the exact same amount of points in the first half and the second half of the season. Therefore that statement was hyperbole and untrue.

I even said that what struck me was that in your first post you made a factual statement, Donskoi hadn’t scored a goal since Jan 10th, only to follow it up with what I find to be a hyperbolic statement in your response you quoted me in, that being “he took the entire second half off offensively”.

I also made a passing comment about the fact that no one paid attention to Donskoi’s goal scoring issues, because everyone talked about it, and knew about, and discussed it often. So to say anyone gave Donskoi a pass due to ignorance of his goal scoring issues was silly to me. We hated him being benched for Haley, because Haley is terrible and not even better than a goalless Donskoi offensively or defensively.

Next the final paragraph was not specifically directed at you, reading it back, I can see why if you didnt realize I was taking jabs at previous posters you could become upset that I was trying to put words in your mouth. So yes you didn’t make the physicality statements, or contractual silliness, and I apologize for not making it clearer I was not saying you thought those things.

I also apologize for using the word crap in my original response. As I certainly did not mean to intend that your entire post was crap, and therefore should have just left it at me thinking that line in particular was simply hyperbolic. Hopefully that would have stopped the rest of our mostly unproductive posts from occurring.

Anyways, while I still think you’re a bit wrong about the way you were portraying Donskoi’s play and contributions last year, I hope you can at least accept my apology for coming on a bit aggro with my word choices in my response to you.
And I should have said "goal scoring" instead of "offense" since he did in fact put up points and chances. Seems like misunderstandings/miscommunication all around.

I'm willing to put this crap behind me if you are. ;)

Reactions: Dicdonya

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Watching all these other teams playing good hockey is so depressing. Even teams expected to finish well below the Sharks in the standings prior to the start of the season. Vancouver is 8-3-1. The Oilers are 9-4-1. The Ducks are 8-6

Reactions: Sandisfan

Roasted Nuts

Feb 6, 2018
Behind you
Watching all these other teams playing good hockey is so depressing. Even teams expected to finish well below the Sharks in the standings prior to the start of the season. Vancouver is 8-3-1. The Oilers are 9-4-1. The Ducks are 8-6
I still believe the Sharks will finish ahead of both the Oilers and Canucks, or that they'll fall behind us lol. They basically are one-line teams riding superstar players. But I'm jealous of the Oilers and Canucks for being able to draft elite 1C's in McDavid and Petterson. Basically two players who perform magic tricks on the ice. If only we had our first rounder to tank with...

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I still believe the Sharks will finish ahead of both the Oilers and Canucks, or that they'll fall behind us lol. They basically are one-line teams riding superstar players. But I'm jealous of the Oilers and Canucks for being able to draft elite 1C's in McDavid and Petterson. Basically two players who perform magic tricks on the ice. If only we had our first rounder to tank with...

I don’t know that I agree with this.

Edm may be a one line team, but that one line is the best player in the league and a guy out scoring him who’s pretty damn good.

Plus with Neal they actually have 2/3rds of a second line now that Lucic is gone.

Also their coach has a pretty good track record of taking less skilled teams to the playoffs.

Van is not a one line team. Pettersson wasn’t even that good for the start of the year. They won’t finish below us unless we go on an absolute epic tear.

We need to focus on getting ahead of teams like Calgary and Anaheim.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I don’t know that I agree with this.

Edm may be a one line team, but that one line is the best player in the league and a guy out scoring him who’s pretty damn good.

Plus with Neal they actually have 2/3rds of a second line now that Lucic is gone.

Also their coach has a pretty good track record of taking less skilled teams to the playoffs.

Van is not a one line team. Pettersson wasn’t even that good for the start of the year. They won’t finish below us unless we go on an absolute epic tear.

We need to focus on getting ahead of teams like Calgary and Anaheim.

CGY winning tonight does us no favors, but if we can cruise through our division, playoffs are easily attainable.

15 games in November, and 10 (WPGx2, VAN, CHI, MIN, ANA, DET, LAKx2, ARI) are games the Sharks should win. NSH VGK and NYI are probably games that the Sharks lose, even if they are playing well. that leaves two games at home against EDM, and those are critical. Really depends which iterations of both teams show up.

So if the sharks win 10 of those 15 games, they can climb out of the dumpster and get back into the mix. That's a tall order for sure, but the schedule gods are giving them the tools to do it.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
CGY winning tonight does us no favors, but if we can cruise through our division, playoffs are easily attainable.

15 games in November, and 10 (WPGx2, VAN, CHI, MIN, ANA, DET, LAKx2, ARI) are games the Sharks should win. NSH VGK and NYI are probably games that the Sharks lose, even if they are playing well. that leaves two games at home against EDM, and those are critical. Really depends which iterations of both teams show up.

So if the sharks win 10 of those 15 games, they can climb out of the dumpster and get back into the mix. That's a tall order for sure, but the schedule gods are giving them the tools to do it.

Not sure why you throw Van and Ari into the "should win" pile. Van is like the second best team in the division, and Ari is not far behind with less games played.

I think people forget that Van was in the playoff hunt for a while last year before their young team started to fall apart a bit. Now that team is older, more experienced, and added Hughes and Jt Miller to mix who are both killing it. That team is not a push over any more and people need to stop assuming they are. Even if we were playing well, that would still be a toss up game, same for Arizona.

The other teams I agree with, well as long as god Gibson doesn't show up for Ana at least.

For me personally, based on our play, I really only think we have a chance vs LA, Minn and Wpg, with Chi/Ana/Det being a toss up, and getting our asses handed to us by the rest. If we start playing well, add the toss ups into wins, and asses handed to us into the toss up category.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Not sure why you throw Van and Ari into the "should win" pile. Van is like the second best team in the division, and Ari is not far behind with less games played.

I think people forget that Van was in the playoff hunt for a while last year before their young team started to fall apart a bit. Now that team is older, more experienced, and added Hughes and Jt Miller to mix who are both killing it. That team is not a push over any more and people need to stop assuming they are. Even if we were playing well, that would still be a toss up game, same for Arizona.

Even Arizona was for a while as well, until injuries hit them hard.

Roasted Nuts

Feb 6, 2018
Behind you
Just noticed that the ex-Sharks are doing very well in their new teams. Nyquist with stat line of 4-9-13 in 17 games and Donskoi with 7-3-10 in 16 games. We'll have to see if they keep up this pace, but they sure fit in better with their new teams. We probably understated their impact on the Sharks given their production this year. Just goes to show how terrible Deboer's system is for facilitating offense. Or shows how playing on the top lines will inflate a player's production. Donskoi is playing with MacKinnon and Nye is with PLD.

Roasted Nuts

Feb 6, 2018
Behind you
Just noticed that the ex-Sharks are doing very well in their new teams. Nyquist with stat line of 4-9-13 in 17 games and Donskoi with 7-3-10 in 16 games. We'll have to see if they keep up this pace, but they sure fit in better with their new teams. We probably understated their impact on the Sharks given their production this year. Just goes to show how terrible Deboer's system is for facilitating offense. Or shows how playing on the top lines will inflate a player's production. Donskoi is playing with MacKinnon and Nye is with PLD.
Donkey with the Hattie there.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Main reason why I want him fired. DW and PDB aren't building the team for the system and vice versa.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I think the sample is too small for both Donskoi and Nyquist and their results thus far are too close to their results with this team to suggest we underestimated the impact of their losses.

Reactions: Roasted Nuts

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Man still bummed we lost Donskoi, but he seems to be fitting in nicely with Colorado and it’s nice to see him scoring goals.
Sort of... From what I have seen of Colorado, there have been few nights where he has absolutely put the team on his back and carried them to wins, in games where the rest of the team just did not show up, and the rest of the season he has been not much of a factor at all...

That said, it would have been nice to have someone drag us to a couple wins and make the hole not quite as deep...

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Donskoi’s shooting close to 30%. I’m upset at how he was utilized here just like the rest of you, but I don’t expect him to keep anywhere close to this pace.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Man still bummed we lost Donskoi, but he seems to be fitting in nicely with Colorado and it’s nice to see him scoring goals.

I don't feel disdain toward him. He was under-utilized here and unfairly put in the doghouse. It's good to see him play somewhere that recognizes what he does well and has a place for that.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Facilliating offense? You mean the same team that was top 5 in goals scored last year with those 2 players on the team? Well 1 player for an entire season and 1 for less then 30.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Sharks are winning games, which is great, but better is that other pacific teams keep losing. This is good fortune for us as we climb out of the gutter

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Sharks are winning games, which is great, but better is that other pacific teams keep losing. This is good fortune for us as we climb out of the gutter

I haven't been posting much, but honestly I was never all the concerned. Not a fan of deboer or anything, but we just have way to much talent to miss the playoffs. I was pretty sure it was just a bad start and it would even out eventually. Guess I'm getting old, not freaking out so easily anymore.

Get off my lawn

Reactions: Alaskanice and Erep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad