Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I have hope in McLeod and Lavoie could be decent. Beyond that we don't have much in the system. Maksimov could be a player but has started fairly slowly.
Yeah, it would be nice if one or two of the late rounders caught some fire. There are a number of sports in the farm available moving forward, so opportunity knocks.

Aapeli Rasanen is really opening some eyes.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Haven't seen him but he is putting up good points.

15 points in 10 games -4 which is team worst +/-

Don't know if he has been bad defensively or mostly a pp guy though. So take that as you will.

1 pp goal and 3 pp points out of his 16 points so far with his new team, 6 pp goals and 20 pp points out his 60 total points on the year.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Some encouraging obscure prospect news I stumbled onto today.

After starting the season with 3 points in 16 games, Maxim Denezhkin has 34 points in his last 30 games for Lokomotiv's MHL team.

Actually pretty encouraging. That's superior to Nikolayev and Spiridonov (3rd and 4th round picks respectively). The latter being someone I was pretty high on.

Not really sure what to make of MHL stats though. Some cherry-picking:
  • Someone like Kirill Marchenko had 16 points in 31 MHL games and went in the 2nd round.
  • Mikhail Shalagin (6'4" LW) went in the 7th round after posting 75 points in 45 gp in the MHL. In the following season he has 9 points in 33 ECHL games played. Edit: Shalagin was passed over in the 2018 draft, missed that.
I guess the WJC holds more weight than MHL stats? Could also be that scouts identified some big flaws in Shalagin's game to pass on him.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Well he should probably start playing some more games then. He’s probably just wandering out in the hall, ducking into the bathroom every time the coach comes along.
That’s how I failed gym 10 back in the day.
And here I thought it was impossible for anyone to fail a gym class. Well done.

Reactions: 780il

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Rasanen was moved off Alex Newhook's line and now has 1 point in his last 10 games.
FWIW Corey Pronman said he doesn't think he'll be worth an ELC after watching the Beanpot Tournament.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Heard that about Maksimov too. I'll wait until I see if he can translate it to the pro's in Bako before getting too excited.
I am a fan of Maksimov but Lavoie is certainly more talented. He could easily have gone in the first round. He will be a nice addition to Bako next year. They need an injection of talent given that I think Benson will be a full time Oiler next year.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
Just wondering if anyone knows why McLoed's entry level contract does not slide a year while Bouchard's does, as far as I know the cutoff date is Sept 15th...

I think he could make the team as early as next year, three cheap entry level years compared to two could be quite beneficial given our current cap situation.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Just wondering if anyone knows why McLoed's entry level contract does not slide a year while Bouchard's does, as far as I know the cutoff date is Sept 15th...

I think he could make the team as early as next year, three cheap entry level years compared to two could be quite beneficial given our current cap situation.

Im assuming this applies to him.

"An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide."

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018

McLeod's birthday is Sept 21. So, after the cutoff. Not sure about Bouchard

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
Im assuming this applies to him.

"An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide."

Ah, so if they had signed him right after his draft his deal would slide too?

Reactions: AvOiL

AvOiL

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2008
Calgary, AB

I think it's because Bouchard signed his contract in 2018, and McLeod in 2019. It's about their respective ages when the contracts were signed.

Reactions: EagerPug

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Ah, so if they had signed him right after his draft his deal would slide too?

Thats how i make sense of it. Too bad, you would think a high pick with slide eligibility would be a priority to sign. Hopefully they learned from their mistake. The player may have held off on signing as well.

Reactions: EagerPug
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad