Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'd love for you to be right. But ... Rasmus Dahlin ... Quinn Hughes is way, way better than I imagined.

I really liked Noah Dobson in that draft. He could be a first pairing d-man, though maybe more two-way than Bouchard.

Sounds like Bouchard is having a solid first pro year in Bakersfield. The Oil desperately need a high end, high hockey IQ offensive defenseman to run the power play. Here's hoping he gets there!

Dahlin and Hughes are amazing but still shy of greatness.

Bouchard has a ways to go to even be as good but as it stands does have the potential to be better. His offense is more traditional but on another level. Things he has said make me believe he will add a two way dimension to his play as well.

His elite vision and passing combined with McDrai could be something otherworldly.

Dobson is the kind of player that has a much higher floor but a much lower ceiling as well. The way he is being used this year really makes me think he will be brought along slowly in a shutdown type role. Which will make him a solid two way guy but he does not have the high end offensive capabilities of anyone else mentioned.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Dahlin and Hughes are amazing but still shy of greatness.

Bouchard has a ways to go to even be as good but as it stands does have the potential to be better. His offense is more traditional but on another level. Things he has said make me believe he will add a two way dimension to his play as well.

His elite vision and passing combined with McDrai could be something otherworldly.

Dobson is the kind of player that has a much higher floor but a much lower ceiling as well. The way he is being used this year really makes me think he will be brought along slowly in a shutdown type role. Which will make him a solid two way guy but he does not have the high end offensive capabilities of anyone else mentioned.

I think both Dahlin and Hughes are both bound for greatness. As teenagers they are producing NHL points and counted on for twenty minutes time on ice per game. They have all the tools required with elite speed and mobility; hockey IQ; shot; and developing ability to defend. They are excelling all ready at the NHL level.

I haven't watched Bouchard on the farm and only had live viewings in his CHL rookie year at the Memorial Cup in Red Deer where he had a small part on a stacked London team. I do like his offensive production clearly generated by elite hockey IQ. Huge shot and pinpoint passing is hugely needed for this Oiler team to succeed. The patient approach is helpful to round out his game and work on a clear area of development that nicks him below a Dahlen and Hughes, that being top end skating. He's a smart kid and can be a difference maker for Edmonton. Not sure though if that will be as a top end elite d-man. Appears to have a great attitude to put on the work boots to do do so.

Dobson I still think will be special. He was on the young side in his draft year and one year of development behind Bouchard. He has it all beginning with elite skating and mobility. Dobson has a heavy shot but more of a distributor that I've seen. His offensive upside is pretty high but on a playoff team the Isles seem to want him to see and learn with a strict development plan at the NHL level. Under a great coach, that begins with focus on defending and playing limited minutes. His ceiling is very high, imo. But his tool kit is deep and varied so not necessarily a one-dimensional player.

Was a great draft class. Hope that Bouchard elevates to the upper end of his great potential. Oil need this toolkit so badly on their NHL roster for really over a decade or more!

Reactions: mouz135 and Aerchon

kfjjagr

Betting on NHL and AHL hockey!
Sep 24, 2011
Denmark
twitter.com
Have the Oilers given up on Patrick Russell?

I know his offensive production was non-existing, but he was very good defensively.

As a fellow Dane, I really hope he gets an opportunity later, but since the Oilers are mostly injury-free, there may not be a spot for him atm.

Any news about him? :dunno:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Klefbom looked worse in the AHL than in the NHL because he's not a scrambler.

Bouchard will be the same for the same reason.

100%. I wont form any opinion on Bouchard until I see him in the NHL for a min of 30 games. After that it will be clear what his NHL future will be

Even a guy like Bear was average in the AHL, but in his NHL audition 2 years ago looked solid and you could tell he had an NHL future. Goes back down to AHL and is meh, but now back up and pretty much a lock for some sort of NHL future (looks ot be top 4, but who knows)

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I know his offensive production was non-existing, but he was very good defensively.

As a fellow Dane, I really hope he gets an opportunity later, but since the Oilers are mostly injury-free, there may not be a spot for him atm.

He's been the 13/14th forward.

Tipp seems to like him. I could see him getting some minutes while Kassian is suspended.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
100%. I wont form any opinion on Bouchard until I see him in the NHL for a min of 30 games. After that it will be clear what his NHL future will be

Even a guy like Bear was average in the AHL, but in his NHL audition 2 years ago looked solid and you could tell he had an NHL future. Goes back down to AHL and is meh, but now back up and pretty much a lock for some sort of NHL future (looks ot be top 4, but who knows)
Playing 30 NHL games doesn't equal a player. Draisaitl didn't hit his stride until much later. Same with Bear, Nurse etc.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Playing 30 NHL games doesn't equal a player. Draisaitl didn't hit his stride until much later. Same with Bear, Nurse etc.
When the player is NHL ready 30 games shows a lot. Draisaitl wasn't NHL ready when he played his first 30, either was Nurse. Bear looked very good at his 30th game played, and was NHL ready.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Its a good sample size to see if a player has an NHL future or not. Not a definitive sample size. But Ill take 30 NHL games over 80 AHL Games + 100 CHL games to make a judgement on a player

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I've got very high expectations for Bouchard... best player in his draft. He'd already be the best PP option on the Oilers and be racking up pts playing with McDrai but I realize the Oilers want to go with the safer development path and have him round out his game at the AHL level before they bring him up for good.

Benson they are going slow with as well as he missed a lot of development time due to injuries... but he's going to be a solid NHL player as well... already the best player on his AHL team at 21 and I think we'll all see that his talent level and upside is higher than initially thought because he dropped in his draft mainly due to injuries... hopefully those are largely behind him and if so, his ceiling is very high... 1st line high.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I've got very high expectations for Bouchard... best player in his draft. He'd already be the best PP option on the Oilers and be racking up pts playing with McDrai but I realize the Oilers want to go with the safer development path and have him round out his game at the AHL level before they bring him up for good.

Benson they are going slow with as well as he missed a lot of development time due to injuries... but he's going to be a solid NHL player as well... already the best player on his AHL team at 21 and I think we'll all see that his talent level and upside is higher than initially thought because he dropped in his draft mainly due to injuries... hopefully those are largely behind him and if so, his ceiling is very high... 1st line high.
Bouchard could end up the best player in his class however he isn't even close to what Dahlin, Hughes or Svechnikov are right now, he has a LONG way to go to be close to any of those 3. I would also argue that Sandin and Denisenko are better players currently too.

Last edited:
Reactions: mouz135

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

He played the last Oilers game. Looked alright as a 4th liner

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Bouchard could end up the best player in his class however he isn't even close to what Dahlin, Hughes or Svechnikov are right now, he has a LONG way to go to be close to any of those 3. I would also argue that Sandin and Denisenko are better players currently too.
I've said this before, but I really believe that Bouchard will look better in the NHL than he does in the AHL. His style of play gets rewarded by positioning, systems and smart plays.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I've said this before, but I really believe that Bouchard will look better in the NHL than he does in the AHL. His style of play gets rewarded by positioning, systems and smart plays.
I mean, his defensive positioning isn't very good yet, don't know how that part will look better. Could see his offense looking better, sure

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, his defensive positioning isn't very good yet, don't know how that part will look better. Could see his offense looking better, sure
The player that will benefit the most from Bouchard in the NHL is McDavid with voucharsa great outlet passes and stretch passes.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Wouldn’t say defensive positioning is bad. His battle intensity is a tad low and he lets players outmuscle or outwork him to the puck... but even Nurse was outmuscled when he was younger. Rushing into the NHL would be a bad idea.

Reactions: replacement

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Wouldn’t say defensive positioning is bad. His battle intensity is a tad low and he lets players outmuscle or outwork him to the puck... but even Nurse was outmuscled when he was younger. Rushing into the NHL would be a bad idea.
The thing which bothers me a bit (a little bit) is that he is well aware of it. He acknowledged it in TC but I have yet to hear anyone saying it has improved. I am mostly talking about the intensity and urgency (or rather the lack there-of) in the D zone. EDIT: However, there are posters here who know and are watching more and know better so if they disagree with this particular I have no objections.

In a perfect world and if we are qualified for the playoffs I'd like to see him get a taste again of NHL competition. I'd like to see how he manages that aspect against NHL players, best case he is able to up his level play good, worst case he realizes that he needs to work harder on it to take a place next season. Either way I think it would be good for him and the team to give him a taste towards the end of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Hey guys, just a red wings stopping by. I was just wondering how's Benson been looking this year, and how come he's not up with the big club yet?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hey guys, just a red wings stopping by. I was just wondering how's Benson been looking this year, and how come he's not up with the big club yet?
Benson is going to AHL Allstars game. Been a PPG player in AHL and should be getting a call up later this season.

Holland added 6 bottom 6 forwards so that's y we don't have room for Benson yet.

Jurco, Granlund,Haas,Nygard, Archibald, Sheahan while we already had Gagner, Russell. And Khaira

Reactions: MikeFLB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->