Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Broberg gets a goal and and assist! His first SHL goal and multi-point game.

Good for him! Sounds like the hard work is paying off.

Now has 8 points in 40gp in his d+1 season

In comparison:
Erik Karlsson had 10 in 45
Klefbom had 2 in 33
Brodin had 8 in 49.

Broberg is progressing pretty well in Sweden this year, although I think I'd like to see him there for 1 more year.

I'm not an expert on development but I'd imagine you'd develop better if you could spend a little more time in a challenging league as opposed to jumping to a completely different one. Lets him flesh out his game and build confidence, as opposed to hopping from league to league.

At the same time Manson's been doing an excellent job with our D prospects so I'm pretty torn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerchon

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO you bring him over next season. He would play under Woodcroft and Manson and he can play behind Samorukov if he needs some time to transition to a big minute role. Ideally we could sign and bring over Berglund so that he has a familiar face here and a fellow Swede in the event that Lagesson is with the big club or moved elsewhere.

Reactions: Aerchon

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Omg. That’s terrible in any league.

No wonder the team is higher on Skinner.

Skinner isn't doing much better.

3.62 in the ECHL and 3.40 in the AHL.

It's looking like it's coming down to Rodrigue or Konovalov as our only hope in the goalie pipeline.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

It's looking like it's coming down to Rodrigue or Konovalov as our only hope in the goalie pipeline.
Goalies can come into the NHL at a much later age than position players and for that reason I think Starrett is our best hope for now.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

I wouldn’t write off Skinner yet. He’s got all the tools to be a solid NHL goalie, his biggest issue is consistency. He’s had a ton of games like tonight where he gave up 1 goal on 32 shots, but then his numbers get inflated because he’s also he a handful of games giving up like 5 on 20ish shots. The Condors have also been pillaged of talent with all the injuries in Edmonton which has lead to a lot of tough nights for the goalies. I still think he could very well be the best long term option in the system.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Now has 8 points in 40gp in his d+1 season

In comparison:
Erik Karlsson had 10 in 45
Klefbom had 2 in 33
Brodin had 8 in 49.

Broberg is progressing pretty well in Sweden this year, although I think I'd like to see him there for 1 more year.

Good for him! Sounds like the hard work is paying off.

I'm not an expert on development but I'd imagine you'd develop better if you could spend a little more time in a challenging league as opposed to jumping to a completely different one. Lets him flesh out his game and build confidence, as opposed to hopping from league to league.

At the same time Manson's been doing an excellent job with our D prospects so I'm pretty torn.

IMO you bring him over next season. He would play under Woodcroft and Manson and he can play behind Samorukov if he needs some time to transition to a big minute role. Ideally we could sign and bring over Berglund so that he has a familiar face here and a fellow Swede in the event that Lagesson is with the big club or moved elsewhere.

I'm very curious about ice time and usage. Last I checked Broberg was not getting great of either. He certainly did not get either in this year's WJC and did not play well.

I don't think you can compare his stats to Erik Karlsson and make any assumptions. Ditto Klefbom or Brodin.

I really like @Bryanbryoil idea/comments. However I still see Broberg as a long term prospect. 1 more year in Sweden IF he gets a much bigger role would be good too.

If Broberg is being considered as a Nurse replacement, and I think that possible, you get him to the ahl asap.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
I'm very curious about ice time and usage. Last I checked Broberg was not getting great of either. He certainly did not get either in this year's WJC and did not play well.

I don't think you can compare his stats to Erik Karlsson and make any assumptions. Ditto Klefbom or Brodin.

I really like @Bryanbryoil idea/comments. However I still see Broberg as a long term prospect. 1 more year in Sweden IF he gets a much bigger role would be good too.

If Broberg is being considered as a Nurse replacement, and I think that possible, you get him to the ahl asap.

What are you on about. He was third in toi for the swedish D, his coach explicitly saying he used his pairing as a tough minutes pair. He wasn’t brilliant but was playing well during the WJCs, was at his best when the games mattered, and his worst when they had zero value. He’s playing around 14 minutes/night in the SHL, almost exclusively 5v5 aka third pairing minutes. Which is fine. This idea that you have to play 20minutes plus at 18 to develop is just silly. If it was true swedish hockey would have serious issues developing NHL level D. Spolier alert...they don’t. Like at all. As long as a player is getting a regular shift and is steadily improving, and Broberg is on both accounts, I don’t see any issues with ice time.

North

Jun 25, 2009
What are you on about. He was third in toi for the swedish D, his coach explicitly saying he used his pairing as a tough minutes pair. He wasn’t brilliant but was playing well during the WJCs, was at his best when the games mattered, and his worst when they had zero value. He’s playing around 14 minutes/night in the SHL, almost exclusively 5v5 aka third pairing minutes. Which is fine. This idea that you have to play 20minutes plus at 18 to develop is just silly. If it was true swedish hockey would have serious issues developing NHL level D. Spolier alert...they don’t. Like at all. As long as a player is getting a regular shift and is steadily improving, and Broberg is on both accounts, I don’t see any issues with ice time.

I’m not sure why people don’t get that for the most part rookies get limited ice time in the SHL.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I’m not sure why people don’t get that for the most part rookies get limited ice time in the SHL.

Well that is why some of us are against developing players in that league as opposed to Canadian juniors where the guy would be playing 25 plus minutes a night with pp and short handed ice time.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Well that is why some of us are against developing players in that league as opposed to Canadian juniors where the guy would be playing 25 plus minutes a night with pp and short handed ice time.

How is spending the year there going to hurt him development wise? Many Swedish defenders follow the same path.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Broberg isn't really playing limited minutes. He's averaging 14 minutes per night right now.

Other D+1 years for comparison:
Brodin - 17:27
Klefbom - 13:44
Karlsson - 10:15

Broberg "may" have finished 3rd in ice time... "may" have... but I watched those games and he was not used as a shutdown or elite anything. He was rotated in his role as a depth defenseman. No offensive zone time or PP time. Showed very little in that tourney.

14 min a night may great for development in that league but isn't 20+ with a more offensive role in the ahl next year better?

All I'm saying.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
How is spending the year there going to hurt him development wise? Many Swedish defenders follow the same path.

How? Just as I stated. Playing there would be like him coming to the oilers and getting no ice time or sitting out. sure the competition is better but so are the stakes.

It's simply a matter of preference. I'd rather have prospects play a ton of hockey in all situations in the north American style game. If you are a bigger fish in a smaller pond you get to play in all situations.

Two years from now he'll come over and we will have the olbigatory comments of 'Oh he needs time to get used to the north american game' and 'He never played pp or pk in europe so just now he is going to have to learn those skills.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
I hope Holland asks Broberg what he wants again this offseason. He was how many days away from being eligible for this year's draft? If his mom ate one less spicy taco we might be talking about drafting him this year.

Let him marinate in sweden until he feels he is ready.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Broberg "may" have finished 3rd in ice time... "may" have... but I watched those games and he was not used as a shutdown or elite anything. He was rotated in his role as a depth defenseman. No offensive zone time or PP time. Showed very little in that tourney.

14 min a night may great for development in that league but isn't 20+ with a more offensive role in the ahl next year better?

All I'm saying.

I would assume that's where he's going.

Basically every Swedish defenseman drafted in the early rounds lately has either gone to the NHL or AHL in their D+1 or D+2 years.

D+1: Bjornfot, Sandin, Liljegren, Kylington

D+2: Brannstrom, Boqvist, Andersson, Hagg

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Would not hurt Brober stay in Sweden he is a huge gamble low odds of him being anything so may as well give him time to get better back home as much as he can

North

Jun 25, 2009
How? Just as I stated. Playing there would be like him coming to the oilers and getting no ice time or sitting out. sure the competition is better but so are the stakes.

It's simply a matter of preference. I'd rather have prospects play a ton of hockey in all situations in the north American style game. If you are a bigger fish in a smaller pond you get to play in all situations.

Two years from now he'll come over and we will have the olbigatory comments of 'Oh he needs time to get used to the north american game' and 'He never played pp or pk in europe so just now he is going to have to learn those skills.

That crystal ball of yours must be really powerful to know what’s going to happen two years from now.

He could end up on a shit junior team and not learn much of anything,

Bouchard played juniors in NA and still had plenty to learn with regards to the defensive aspect of the game.

It’s your preference but it’s not necessarily the wrong decision for Broberg.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
On another note about Broberg.

Some are comparing Klefbom #s and ice time etc...

Klefbom came over after 2 years in SEL I believe and while a great player now was pretty slow to develop. Injuries a part of that of course but still something to consider. Exactly how good is the SEL as development league for a D+2 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad