Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
This is opposite of what I remember.

Despite low SHL points Klefbom was always considered the offensive puck moving defenseman compared to the steady 2 way Brodin.

Brodin over the course of his career has probably been the better. The last couple years Klefbom has really improved defensively and I believe is the better now. Draft + 6 before we saw a consistently good Klefbom.

As of this exact moment I honestly don't see Broberg being as good as either Nurse or Klefbom. However it's extremely early and Broberg is very raw.
Not really, Klefbom was "an offensive black hole" according to many posters here.

His SHL stats:
10/11 23 GP 1 G 1 A 2 pts
11/12 44 GP 2 G 1 A 3 pts
12/13 11 GP 0 G 3 A 3 pts (short season due to injury)

Brodin was certainly known as a steady 2 way D man, but so was Klefbom. In Klefbom's case though there was a lot of speculation of untapped offensive potential, because he had a lot of tools for a young D prospect and was a bit raw. Brodin was generally seen as more polished defensively than Klefbom, but that didn't mean that Klefbom was seen as bad defensively, just that Brodin was seen as very very good defensively.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Agreed. I was against drafting a defender period with the pick due to there not being many high end defenders. I was very much against drafting another low offense guy.

Holland went that direction so seeing Soderstrom getting more icetime in the SHL and is just overall a much better player is rough to see.

Yes that could easily change in the coming years but early returns on the bet aren't there.

I also don't really see a high end ceiling for Broberg either though but that might just be me
Soderstrom is already polished potential wise. Broberg has potential to be even greater. A gamble worth taking in my opinion

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Back to Broberg.

I watched a couple games. Followed him during the Tourney. Apparently directly following him was lucky in that he got a short handed goal but bad because I'd be extremely hard pressed to remember a single shift of his besides that one goal.

He had 2? player of the game performances that I missed but Broberg took invisible to the next level from what I saw.

His positioning looked decent but not spectacular. Active skater with good agility. His stick active more often than not but inconsistent. His outlet pass rarely used in my viewing, more Russell style dump into the neutral zone. He was strong down low but his stick handling poor, he would win positioning but lose control of the puck. Mostly due to his role he was non existent offensively, in extremely limited offensive touches he was a mixed bag that was more bad than good with little sustained zone time compared to his teammates.

I will be the first to admit I have a minor agenda against this player. I will also say my first hand viewing is practically none. But any which way I do finally have some first hand and second hand info. This is my take.

For a top 10 pick in a strong draft with who was left on the board in comparison to his age group at the WJC I think it's very safe to say Broberg has been disappointing.

I'm not going to rant and rave. It's too early to say he is a bust. He absolutely has positives to his game. BUT. I really don't know how anyone can look at his body of work since being drafted and especially in this tourney and be anything but disappointed.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Lavieo with a good shift and ends up with the primary assist on goal #3 for Canada.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016

Broberg got a tripping penalty for this hit, looked pretty similar to the one he injured Kupari with. Ferraro called it a "terrific hipcheck" and a "terrible call".

Reactions: KYams17 and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yup.

Tough to see anything in Broberg yet when he was clearly overshadowed by Soderstrom... and not even able to Crack the top 4 on his WJC team.

Being top pairing PK and taking the most EV shifts of all Dmen on his team easily puts him in the top 4...

A poster who spent years claiming Marincin is superior in every way to Klefbom really should refrain from commenting on junior aged Dmen.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
no he really isn’t, he could easily become nothing just like 75-80% of draft picks. Once again some terrible analysis of prospects you know little to nothing about.
How is it terrible analysis. He is currently a top 4 guy on his SHL team putting up very good numbers and is Sweden's current best defender in the tournament.

And Broberg could easily become like those draft picks, so what's your point?

My point is that Soderstrom is currently the better player, is trending better and with his offensive abilities has a higher ceiling.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
How is it terrible analysis. He is currently a top 4 guy on his SHL team putting up very good numbers and is Sweden's current best defender in the tournament.

And Broberg could easily become like those draft picks, so what's your point?

My point is that Soderstrom is currently the better player, is trending better and with his offensive abilities has a higher ceiling.

so every player who plays top four minutes in the SEL becomes a top 4 NHL Dman?

the truth is you know very very little of what you speak of besides reading some stats pages online.

Last edited:
Reactions: KYams17

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
so every player who plays top four minutes in the SEL becomes a top 4 NHL Dman?

the truth is you know very very little of what you speak of besides reading some stats pages online.
You don't even have your own opinions dude, you don't watch anything, you just try and counter negative arguments with "you're wrong cause you're wrong".

Reactions: Aerchon

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You don't even have your own opinions dude, you don't watch anything, you just try and counter negative arguments with "you're wrong cause you're wrong".

I don’t make definitive comments on players who I have never watched or only seen a few select highlights of...I leave that to you.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Being top pairing PK and taking the most EV shifts of all Dmen on his team easily puts him in the top 4...

A poster who spent years claiming Marincin is superior in every way to Klefbom really should refrain from commenting on junior aged Dmen.

Broberg was not used as a top 4 defenseman in any way shape or form.

Marincin has played more of a top 4 role than Broberg did in this tourney and/or the SHL.

They rotated all the defense on the PK. He didn't get one second of PP time even when they had 5+ consecutive minutes.

He was never used offensively or defensively in any big moments that I could discern in the games I watched. He was filler in the games I watched. By eye test the #5 at best. You have to really split hairs to say otherwise.

And of course I never said that about Marincin/Klefbom.

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

Marincin has played more of a top 4 role than Broberg did in this tourney and/or the SHL.

They rotated all the defense on the PK. He didn't get one second of PP time even when they had 5+ consecutive minutes.

He was never used offensively or defensively in any big moments that I could discern. He was filler in the games I watched. By eye test the #5 at best. You have to really split hairs to say otherwise.

He was absolutely used defensively in big moments. In the semis against Russia, he played the most out of all defensemen in the first period killing all of those penalties.

He didn't show that much offensively in a small tournament, mostly because he had no chance to showcase it. And Sweden's coach played Ginning as a top-4 defensemen, despite playing badly all tournament. I wouldn't put too much stock into the fact that he didn't get pp time.

Reactions: KYams17 and nabob

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He was absolutely used defensively in big moments. In the semis against Russia, he played the most out of all defensemen in the first period killing all of those penalties.

He didn't show that much offensively in a small tournament, mostly because he had no chance to showcase it. And Sweden's coach played Ginning as a top-4 defensemen, despite playing badly all tournament. I wouldn't put too much stock into the fact that he didn't get pp time.

Edit: I watched this game. He was not used in any special fashion. Just rotated through. Not even sure you could call him the #1 PKer. He certainly did not do anything of note in that role.

If I was projecting an nhl comparison for Broberg based on my extremly limited viewing it would be a better skating but heavily watered down Kris Russell.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

He was never used offensively or defensively in any big moments that I could discern in the games I watched. He was filler in the games I watched. By eye test the #5 at best. You have to really split hairs to say otherwise.

He took the most EV shifts of any Dman...He was their go to guy on the PK. I don’t know what world you live in (one where Marincin is a superstar lol) but that’s top 4 Dman minutes.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He took the most EV shifts of any Dman...He was their go to guy on the PK. I don’t know what world you live in (one where Marincin is a superstar lol) but that’s top 4 Dman minutes.

First. You are desperately splitting hairs.

Sure. He "may" have squeezed into the top 4 in minutes played due to a lot of PKing. May have.

If you watched the game you know he may have had more shifts but that because they couldn't get him off the ice fast enough. When on the ice he was invisible and less than impressive.

Even watching for him he was extremely hard to find and you could count the number of times he touched the puck on one hand... maybe two and might have to use your toes for his possession time.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Shouldnt broberg who plays in a mens league be dominating the world hu juniors?

Is this holland taking a random shot hoping to land another Lindstrom type player?

Hope it pans out, but judging by the comments I'm not holding my breath

Reactions: Aerchon

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
First. You are desperately splitting hairs.

Sure. He "may" have squeezed into the top 4 in minutes played due to a lot of PKing. May have.

If you watched the game you know he may have had more shifts but that because they couldn't get him off the ice fast enough. When on the ice he was invisible and less than impressive.

Even watching for him he was extremely hard to find and you could count the number of times he touched the puck on one hand... maybe two and might have to use your toes for his possession time.

so you don’t think being the go to PK defenseman on a team is an important role? You think a Dman playing 2nd PP is more important somehow?
Your bias against him is just as clear as your bias against Klefbom always has been. Even when Klefbom was dominant in the WJHC you claimed he was a nothing player who had no impact. You should learn when to sit one out as your hyperbole and ignorance doesn’t look good right now.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Edit: I watched this game. He was not used in any special fashion. Just rotated through. Not even sure you could call him the #1 PKer. He certainly did not do anything of note in that role.

If I was projecting an nhl comparison for Broberg based on my extremly limited viewing it would be a better skating but heavily watered down Kris Russell.

making a NHL career projection based on one game in the WJHC :laugh:

Reactions: TB12 and KYams17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad