Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
How is it terrible analysis. He is currently a top 4 guy on his SHL team putting up very good numbers and is Sweden's current best defender in the tournament.

And Broberg could easily become like those draft picks, so what's your point?

My point is that Soderstrom is currently the better player, is trending better and with his offensive abilities has a higher ceiling.
Dude you suck at analyzing because all you do is use your bias :laugh:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
so you don’t think being the go to PK defenseman on a team is an important role? You think a Dman playing 2nd PP is more important somehow?
Your bias against him is just as clear as your bias against Klefbom always has been. Even when Klefbom was dominant in the WJHC you claimed he was a nothing player who had no impact. You should learn when to sit one out as your hyperbole and ignorance doesn’t look good right now.

making a NHL career projection based on one game in the WJHC :laugh:

If you actually watched him play you would know he is not the go to PKer. He is not the go to defensive defenseman.

He gets the first shift on the PK sometimes but that's primarily because he was benched the shift prior. After his shift they play all the others equally.

In general he has been used as the #5 at best.

For example. In the last 7 minutes of play in the silver medal game. 3 to 2 for Sweden. Most the play in Sweden zone. He played 2 shifts. Gets the puck on one and dumps it into the neutral zone.

Final minute of play. All in Sweden zone, tons of pressure, a time out taken and multiple play stoppage for defensive zone changes. Broberg get benched and doesn't see a moment.

He plays primarily defensive zone, PK, and is not even prioritized in those. He gets the puck and his go to move is to dump it down the ice, area pass or just dump. No stretch pass no crisp outlet pass. He sometimes skates it out.

It's impossible to get a good gauge on Broberg with the way he was used but with how he did play in this tourney he did not show much. He absolutely reminded me of Russell or maybe a Russell/Nurse hybrid.

If I was being bias I would say he was garbage in this tourney.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If you actually watched him play you would know he is not the go to PKer. He is not the go to defensive defenseman.

He gets the first shift on the PK sometimes but that's primarily because he was benched the shift prior. After his shift they play all the others equally.

In general he has been used as the #5 at best.

For example. In the last 7 minutes of play in the silver medal game. 3 to 2 for Sweden. Most the play in Sweden zone. He played 2 shifts. Gets the puck on one and dumps it into the neutral zone.

Final minute of play. All in Sweden zone, tons of pressure, a time out taken and multiple play stoppage for defensive zone changes. Broberg get benched and doesn't see a moment.

He plays primarily defensive zone, PK, and is not even prioritized in those. He gets the puck and his go to move is to dump it down the ice, area pass or just dump. No stretch pass no crisp outlet pass. He sometimes skates it out.

It's impossible to get a good gauge on Broberg with the way he was used but with how he did play in this tourney he did not show much. He absolutely reminded me of Russell or maybe a Russell/Nurse hybrid.

If I was being bias I would say he was garbage in this tourney.
He is generally not really visible good or bad. Which is generally fine for a defender at this point in their career, but not from a top end draft pick. If he was generally invisible in the SHL you could simply just waive it off as he is taking time to adapt to the level of play. But when he is also invisible against his peers? It's not a great sign.

And I'll say it again, it could all change as things do. HOWEVER when you draft a guy in the top 10 they SHOULD have signs pointing up and should stand out against their peers. The fact that he has neither isn't a great sign or look. I'm sure Holland isn't super pumped about it either

Edit: and before people say "well it's the way he is used, of course he isn't standing out". My counter is Lavoie. Getting 4th line minutes, mostly used defensively and yet, he is still showing up for most of his shifts and you notice him in positive ways

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He is generally not really visible good or bad. Which is generally fine for a defender at this point in their career, but not from a top end draft pick. If he was generally invisible in the SHL you could simply just waive it off as he is taking time to adapt to the level of play. But when he is also invisible against his peers? It's not a great sign.

And I'll say it again, it could all change as things do. HOWEVER when you draft a guy in the top 10 they SHOULD have signs pointing up and should stand out against their peers. The fact that he has neither isn't a great sign or look. I'm sure Holland isn't super pumped about it either.

I'm actually doing my best not to be too harsh. It's very early, but as you say, while not bad it is certainly not good either.

Edit: it wouldn't surprise me if a big part of the reason Holland does not want to give away any more picks from this year's draft is because he realized he might have wasted an 8th OA in Broberg.

Agree about Lavoie as well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm actually doing my best not to be too harsh. It's very early, but as you say, while not bad it is certainly not good either.

Edit: it wouldn't surprise me if a big part of the reason Holland does not want to give away any more picks from this year's draft is because he realized he might have wasted an 8th OA in Broberg.

All that I know is that if Broberg pans out to be a top 4 defenseman you and Cyclone will rightfully be called out repeatedly over it. I guess people forget that someone like Dumba had a very rough WJC's yet many would jump at the chance to add him to our team. I didn't watch any of the WJC's but the WJC's and even the first season post draft is far from the end all be all. Odds are that if your horse crap theory was right, Hall would be here right now and Broberg would be NJ property.

Reactions: KYams17 and nabob

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
All that I know is that if Broberg pans out to be a top 4 defenseman you and Cyclone will rightfully be called out repeatedly over it. I guess people forget that someone like Dumba had a very rough WJC's yet many would jump at the chance to add him to our team. I didn't watch any of the WJC's but the WJC's and even the first season post draft is far from the end all be all. Odds are that if your horse crap theory was right, Hall would be here right now and Broberg would be NJ property.
And Dumba was definitely not looking like a good pick till he entirely turned it around.

I also expect to be called out for it if I'm wrong.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
All that I know is that if Broberg pans out to be a top 4 defenseman you and Cyclone will rightfully be called out repeatedly over it. I guess people forget that someone like Dumba had a very rough WJC's yet many would jump at the chance to add him to our team. I didn't watch any of the WJC's but the WJC's and even the first season post draft is far from the end all be all.

I'm fine with that. Broberg and Marincin can be my errors.

I agree about wjc. They can be misleading.

Funny you mention Dumba. I watched a lot of him in junior. He is another I got completely wrong. On the rebels he was kept far away from the defensive zone he was so bad. Never used on the PK. I thought Petrovic (his partner on the rebels) would be the fad better defenseman. Even Dumbas offense I thought wouldn't translate. He really seemed a one trick pony. His draft +1 year he struggled.

I prefer 2 way or defensive defenseman. Just my nature. I'm always surprised when a defenseman that's bad defensively becomes an effective nhler.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Funny you mention Dumba. I watched a lot of him in junior. He is another I got completely wrong. On the rebels he was kept far away from the defensive zone he was so bad. Never used on the PK. I thought Petrovic (his partner on the rebels) would be the fad better defenseman. Even Dumbas offense I thought wouldn't translate. He really seemed a one trick pony. His draft +1 year he struggled.

I prefer 2 way or defensive defenseman. Just my nature. I'm always surprised when a defenseman that's bad defensively becomes an effective nhler.
I've never understood calling out people on their misses. Professional scouts get it wrong literally all the time, doesn't discredit their hockey knowledge when they do. The only real difference between good and bad scouts is how often they get it right.

Reactions: Rafters and Aerchon

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I've never understood calling out people on their misses. Professional scouts get it wrong literally all the time, doesn't discredit their hockey knowledge when they do. The only real difference between good and bad scouts is how often they get it right.

Because most of the time the people being called out aren’t scouts, and barely watch these kids play, but are so falsely confident in their opinion of a kids play that they think they can call their career based off the one tournament or handful of highlights they see.

Scouts are held accountable for bad scouting by being replaced. People on message boards deserve to be called out for their overconfidence in wrong calls so they hopefully learn that development isn’t linear and that since even pro scouts get it wrong, they probably aren’t right about every single opinion they tend to defend to the bitter end.

Also it’s incredibly easy to see the bias’ people on message boards hold when any evidence that contradicts their “information” is treated like a personal attack, and instead considering the other side, they either write off the stats as worthless, or pull out the old “hey I’d love for them to prove me wrong” bull crap.

It’s one thing to make a prediction based on the info you have l, as long as you know you’re not seeing even a fraction of the big picture, but people here watch these kids play a handful of times and act like they know everything about them. That absolutely deserves to be called out.

It’s really easy to think you can predict which picks will bust when you call them all busts and the majority of players selected do in fact not make the NHL.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Because most of the time the people being called out aren’t scouts, and barely watch these kids play, but are so falsely confident in their opinion of a kids play that they think they can call their career based off the one tournament or handful of highlights they see.

Scouts are held accountable for bad scouting by being replaced. People on message boards deserve to be called out for their overconfidence in wrong calls so they hopefully learn that development isn’t linear and that since even pro scouts get it wrong, they probably aren’t right about every single opinion they tend to defend to the bitter end.

Also it’s incredibly easy to see the bias’ people on message boards hold when any evidence that contradicts their “information” is treated like a personal attack, and instead considering the other side, they either write off the stats as worthless, or pull out the old “hey I’d love for them to prove me wrong” bull crap.

It’s one thing to make a prediction based on the info you have l, as long as you know you’re not seeing even a fraction of the big picture, but people here watch these kids play a handful of times and act like they know everything about them. That absolutely deserves to be called out.

It’s really easy to think you can predict which picks will bust when you call them all busts and the majority of players selected do in fact not make the NHL.

I agree 100%.

Im very curious for an example of the above. Those are very few and far between and not applicable to the vast majority in this thread.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Oh man, if I had a nickle for every time I've heard that stupid line.

Great post.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And Dumba was definitely not looking like a good pick till he entirely turned it around.

I also expect to be called out for it if I'm wrong.

Dumba looked like trash in the WJC's yet he has carved out a very successful NHL career. I also recall people harping on not drafting Carlo yet here he is a big solid NHL defenseman with a howitzer of a shot. Prospects are tough to gauge and each players development varies. Ethan Bear is a prime example, I really liked him when I first saw him in Oilers rookie camp and he then had poorish camps but good seasons in Seattle and then a respectable rookie year in Bako. Then he hit injuries and his skating seemed stagnant. He focused hard on his defensive game last season and then had a whale of an offseason and he is now arguably our best defenseman.

It just goes to show that 1 or 2 years post draft is hard to gauge a player's future unless he's either really, really good or really, really bad. I expect Broberg to come over next season and take 1/2 a season to adjust to the NA pro game much like Klefbom needed.

It's when someone keeps beating a dead horse and writing someone off so early that prompts people to do this.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011

It's a message board dude.

Reactions: KYams17

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
68801E0D-F924-4502-86FC-3208CA05A29E.jpeg

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You know what. How about this, I'll stop talking about Broberg until he does something worth talking about. Same with all our prospects. I won't harp about how bad they are or how I think they will fail. I'll only mention them when they do something worth mentioning

Reactions: Hairy Apparatus

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
You know what. How about this, I'll stop talking about Broberg until he does something worth talking about. Same with all our prospects. I won't harp about how bad they are or how I think they will fail. I'll only mention them when they do something worth mentioning
Lmao even if they suddenly scored at 2.00 ppg over the next 20 games you'd disappear like the coward you are.

Reactions: KYams17 and nabob

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
People wouldn't if you weren't known to be a solely negative opinion. It's incredibly easy to call out the busts if that's all you ever do.

As someone who sees a handful of junior games, I've always been more interested in watching some of the underappreciated prospects. It gives you a perspective that there are actually very few guys out there who don't have critical flaws in their game at this age. It allows me appreciate the qualities that guys like Broberg or Yamamoto actually do possess.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
There is nothing wrong with people having opinions on layer every early because that is when the teams have to decide on them. Most people that actually do express an opinion are fine with being called out if they are wrong.

Speaking of calling out it would be just a doozy on here to see the original griffin reinhart trade and then about another years worth of posts on that player. The defenders of that move were very very numerous.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I just described exactly what he was doing. Calling other posters trolls is against site rules BTW.

If you were he wouldn't have said anything.

I normally just report posts like those but was feeling generous. Let's keep it civil and just move on.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
There is nothing wrong with people having opinions on layer every early because that is when the teams have to decide on them. Most people that actually do express an opinion are fine with being called out if they are wrong.

Speaking of calling out it would be just a doozy on here to see the original griffin reinhart trade and then about another years worth of posts on that player. The defenders of that move were very very numerous.

Or that moron who said we would have a ton of 20 goal scorers last year.

Here is his photo.

40102.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->