Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If you were he wouldn't have said anything.

I normally just report posts like those but was feeling generous. Let's keep it civil and just move on.

Nah he’s got a vendetta against me because of how his “scouting” of Broberg and Yamamoto has been exposed as a joke.

Reactions: KYams17

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Lavoie will be joining the team with the 2nd best record in the Q. His first game with the Sagueneens is against his former team, the Mooseheads.
For someone knowing zero or less about qmjhl, I assume this is a good move(?). How's the competition on his new team, will play top 6?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Tis the season for top 50 prospects outside of the nhl

Slightly concerned by the lack of oiler prospects on many of the lists

I must admit I'm a little concerned about our prospects in general. But only indirectly due to lists. Lists are very subjective and the ones coming out right now are valued heavily by the WJC I imagine.

All fans over rate their teams prospects. We can be especially bad on this board. The hype Jones and Samourukov have received for example has been excessive.

Im guilty of guys like Maxismov, Safin, and Puljujärvi.

I was expecting Bakersfield to be dominate this year. Bouchard to destroy the AHL. A good showing at the WJC with Lavieo and Broberg would have been nice.

I was expecting the Oilers to suck and our prospects to excell. Instead our prospects have underperformed across the board and our team is doing considerably better than most predicted.

I was fully expecting at least a couple forwards to be able to graduate in the next 3 years and be impact players for us. At this exact point I expect zero. We still have a very good group of defenders but no one at the moment looking like a perfect elite top pairing type.

But development is not linear so while there isn't a real reason to be excited there also isn't a real reason to be overly pessimistic either.

Reactions: Double A RON

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I must admit I'm a little concerned about our prospects in general. But only indirectly due to lists. Lists are very subjective and the ones coming out right now are valued heavily by the WJC I imagine.

All fans over rate their teams prospects. We can be especially bad on this board. The hype Jones and Samourukov have received for example has been excessive.

Im guilty of guys like Maxismov, Safin, and Puljujärvi.

I was expecting Bakersfield to be dominate this year. Bouchard to destroy the AHL. A good showing at the WJC with Lavieo and Broberg would have been nice.

I was expecting the Oilers to suck and our prospects to excell. Instead our prospects have underperformed across the board and our team is doing considerably better than most predicted.

I was fully expecting at least a couple forwards to be able to graduate in the next 3 years and be impact players for us. At this exact point I expect zero. We still have a very good group of defenders but no one at the moment looking like a perfect elite top pairing type.

But development is not linear so while there isn't a real reason to be excited there also isn't a real reason to be overly pessimistic either.

AHL teams made mostly of prospects/rookies rarely dominate the league.

As for Bouchard, he may not be dominating, but he's putting up really good numbers on a low scoring team.

Only 32 U21 defensemen have had a higher points-per-game over 30+ games going back to 09/10. There's a fairly small margin there too. He'd be top 20 if he had two more points, for example.

That list includes guys like Carlson, Faulk, Theodore, Subban, Voynov, McNabb, Barrie, Dunn, DeAngelo, Savard, Ristolainen, Josi, Larsson, Scandella, etc.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
AHL teams made mostly of prospects/rookies rarely dominate the league.

As for Bouchard, he may not be dominating, but he's putting up really good numbers on a low scoring team.

Only 32 U21 defensemen have had a higher points-per-game over 30+ games going back to 09/10. There's a fairly small margin there too. He'd be top 20 if he had two more points, for example.

That list includes guys like Carlson, Faulk, Theodore, Subban, Voynov, McNabb, Barrie, Dunn, DeAngelo, Savard, Ristolainen, Josi, Larsson, Scandella, etc.

I agree. All good points.

I still think Bouchard will be great but I set my expectations too high.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I'm only concerned about prospects so far as we have a pipeline that can fill holes in our roster.

Some of these are holes that will open up soon (within the next couple seasons).
Holes: 3C, Starter, top 6 W, middle 6 W, top 4 RD.

3C - McLeod has the size, speed, skill, and 2-way ability. Just needs to continue maturing into the pro game. Rasanen is having a good year in the NCAA, there might be a possible solution there.
Middle 6 W - Benson is the primary candidate for me. Good 2-way game, good on the boards, great vision/passing, and plays with an edge.
Top 6 W - You hope that one of Yamamoto, Lavoie, Maksimov, or Benson hit.
Top 4RD - If Larsson doesn't get an extension, we have Bouchard & Persson as players that could step in when his contract expires.
Starter - Idk about you guys, but it'd be nice to have a homegrown goalie that remains with the franchise for a while (goalies are expensive). Could any of Starrett, Skinner, Wells, Rodrigue, or Konovalov make it?

It's pretty crucial we sign Nuge, we don't have anyone that projects to be a 2C.

I'd really like to see Holland put an emphasis on forwards in the upcoming draft.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm only concerned about prospects so far as we have a pipeline that can fill holes in our roster.

Some of these are holes that will open up soon (within the next couple seasons).
Holes: 3C, Starter, top 6 W, middle 6 W, top 4 RD.

3C - McLeod has the size, speed, skill, and 2-way ability. Just needs to continue maturing into the pro game. Rasanen is having a good year in the NCAA, there might be a possible solution there.
Middle 6 W - Benson is the primary candidate for me. Good 2-way game, good on the boards, great vision/passing, and plays with an edge.
Top 6 W - You hope that one of Yamamoto, Lavoie, Maksimov, or Benson hit.
Top 4RD - If Larsson doesn't get an extension, we have Bouchard & Persson as players that could step in when his contract expires.
Starter - Idk about you guys, but it'd be nice to have a homegrown goalie that remains with the franchise for a while (goalies are expensive). Could any of Starrett, Skinner, Wells, Rodrigue, or Konovalov make it?

It's pretty crucial we sign Nuge, we don't have anyone that projects to be a 2C.

I'd really like to see Holland put an emphasis on forwards in the upcoming draft.

Great post. I agree with all of it in theory...

Not to be a negative Nelly but as it stands right now I think the only "likely" hole to be filled internally is the top 4 RD. Between Persson and Bouchard that's at least a solid bet.

The rest, while certainly possible, are just not likely... yet. Next year, with how non linear prospects progress, we could be flush with potential nhlers.

I also have to emphasize how important resigning Nuge is. It's extremely difficult to imagine filled the hole he will leave behind internally or externally. He has his warts but his overall game is so hard to replace.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Klefbom looked worse in the AHL than in the NHL because he's not a scrambler.

Bouchard will be the same for the same reason.

Legitimately excited for this player. Was shocked we got him. Digging deep into his junior career he absolutely is a rare talent.

Very similar excitement I had for Draisaitl after digging into his junior play.

Bouchard needs Draisaitls skating coach and he potentially "could" end up the best defenseman in an extremly great draft for defensemen.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Broberg only played 8:46 in his last game, first time this season he’s played under 10:00.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Broberg only played 8:46 in his last game, first time this season he’s played under 10:00.

He was not given opportunity at the WJC. However what little opportunity he did have he was nothing special.

Hopefully he gets over this. Might be sulking. Might just be getting the ice time his meager skill deserves.

I think the group that would have preferred Zegras have a legitimate beef with this pick.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Legitimately excited for this player. Was shocked we got him. Digging deep into his junior career he absolutely is a rare talent.

Very similar excitement I had for Draisaitl after digging into his junior play.

Bouchard needs Draisaitls skating coach and he potentially "could" end up the best defenseman in an extremly great draft for defensemen.

I'd love for you to be right. But ... Rasmus Dahlin ... Quinn Hughes is way, way better than I imagined.

I really liked Noah Dobson in that draft. He could be a first pairing d-man, though maybe more two-way than Bouchard.

Sounds like Bouchard is having a solid first pro year in Bakersfield. The Oil desperately need a high end, high hockey IQ offensive defenseman to run the power play. Here's hoping he gets there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad