Speculation: 2019-20 News/Rumors,Roster thread Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

Up until 2012, this was the biggest win in Kings history as far as I’m concerned. One of the greatest individual performances in Stanley Cup playoff history.

Ah, the memories. 99 was en fuego that night. It was beautiful to watch.

I had buddies at school the day prior just giving me the business as to how the Leafs were going to tune up the Kings. Even one of my teachers was on my case.

They were all silent when we got back to class the following Monday.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
countdown til a leafs fan shows up and mentions Fraser

To mention how nice his hair was.

HotStoveHead.jpg

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Ah, the memories. 99 was en fuego that night. It was beautiful to watch.

I had buddies at school the day prior just giving me the business as to how the Leafs were going to tune up the Kings. Even one of my teachers was on my case.

They were all silent when we got back to class the following Monday.
Major heartbreak in Canada, and in Ontario in particular, when it wasn't a Montreal / Toronto Stanley Cup Final...too bad.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Marty really built himself in to a legit player. While Jeff Odgers would say otherwise, he wasn't much of a power puncher but he had such crazy stamina and an amazing chin.

You look at him when his jersey came off and it is apparent that he wasn't wearing much in the way of pads. Just a total brickhouse.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Marty really built himself in to a legit player. While Jeff Odgers would say otherwise, he wasn't much of a power puncher but he had such crazy stamina and an amazing chin.

You look at him when his jersey came off and it is apparent that he wasn't wearing much in the way of pads. Just a total brickhouse.

Gino Odjick seemed to always tire out against Marty. That hit on Gilmour and fight against Wendel Clark really did turn the series around. The Kings played like a different team from Game 2 on. It’s like Marty brought a sense of bravado, and you even saw guys like Gary Shuchuk and Tim Watters destroying Leafs with hard hits.

Reactions: BigKing

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Do you recall the compensation the Kings would have received, if any if they would have let him go to the Blues?

I think back then there wasn’t a set of rules for compensation levels, and it was pretty much like negotiating a trade on settling the compensation, similar to how the Kings got Dionne, or when they lost Rogie Vachon to the Red Wings (which ended up in the courts because the compensation, Dale McCourt, refused to go to the Kings).

The most famous offer sheet that was probably the Brendan Shanahan with the Blues, which landed Scott Stevens to New Jersey as compensation.

Stevens was unhappy to move to New Jersey and the Blues tampered with him in trying to sign him back, and the league came down hard on St. Louis as a result. It’s no surprise the Blues were also behind the McSorley offer sheet.

Here’s an article on the tampering fiasco.
HOCKEY; Devils Get $1.4 Million and Draft Pick in Tampering Case

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Love looking back at old articles. The salaries back then are interesting to see.

Blues’ Offer to McSorley Spurs Kings : Hockey: Perhaps worried about losing enforcer, they sign Rychel. They also agree to terms with Conacher.

As for McSorley, Beverley gave no indication whether the Kings will match the Blues’ offer, which has set off shock waves through the league. McSorley’s base contract with St. Louis is $800,000 per season, but there is a signing bonus of $5 million spread over 10 years, with installments to be paid at a rate above the prime interest rate.

One NHL executive wasn’t impressed with the deal.

“Well, apparently St. Louis didn’t watch the Stanley Cup finals,” said Harry Sinden, president and general manager of the Boston Bruins. :laugh:

Blues' Offer to McSorley Spurs Kings : Hockey: Perhaps worried about losing enforcer, they sign Rychel. They also agree to terms with Conacher.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I was looking at the Kings roster and wondering what’s UFA’s they might take a shot at.

I think the forward position is pretty set - Kings didn’t carry any extra forwards at the end of last year. It’s up in the air if they re-sign Trevor Lewis, so that could be one spot open. Prokhorkin is also a wild card.

There really aren’t any forwards ready to step in - our best prospects are 18, 19 years old or have only one year of pro experience (Kupari and JAD) - one was injured and one barely put up any points. Maybe Matt Luff? Grundstrom?

On D, there are some holes. It’s basically Doughty, Roy, Walker and MacD. Anderson played a few games but still young, Hutton and Ryan are UFA’s.

I made a list of UFA’s the Kings may have interest in.

Joel Edmundson
Travis Hamonic
Justin Schultz
Sami Vatanen
Chris Tanev

On forward:
Wayne Simmonds
Pat Maroon
Matt Martin
Mike Hoffman
Jimmy Vesey

also, some depth guys - even a player like Kurtis Gabriel who can play on a two way deal and help in the AHL and come up and play the Clifford role could help.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Very puzzling. Rosen also has no idea why. Only thing mentioned is concentrating more on developement. I hope we get more of an explanation going forward. The one thing I wasnt really worried about was Stothers as our AHL coach.

Now that we have a lot of talent in our system, perhaps they want a coach that is more than a systems guy. Just a guess.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Now that we have a lot of talent in our system, perhaps they want a coach that is more than a systems guy. Just a guess.

That may just be it. Clone what the NHL team is doing for an easier transition I guess.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

That’s what I’m thinking as well. I’m guessing they may lean towards a coach who can emphasize more offense and a more aggressive attack style to align with what McLellan is doing with the Kings.

Going to miss Stothers and his candidness. He seemed to have a great attitude and I hope he finds another gig as a coach. Palm Springs will soon be getting a team...

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think back then there wasn’t a set of rules for compensation levels, and it was pretty much like negotiating a trade on settling the compensation, similar to how the Kings got Dionne, or when they lost Rogie Vachon to the Red Wings (which ended up in the courts because the compensation, Dale McCourt, refused to go to the Kings).

The most famous offer sheet that was probably the Brendan Shanahan with the Blues, which landed Scott Stevens to New Jersey as compensation.

Stevens was unhappy to move to New Jersey and the Blues tampered with him in trying to sign him back, and the league came down hard on St. Louis as a result. It’s no surprise the Blues were also behind the McSorley offer sheet.

Here’s an article on the tampering fiasco.
HOCKEY; Devils Get $1.4 Million and Draft Pick in Tampering Case

Ron Caron was a crazy GM. Traded Joe Mullen. Traded for Hull. Traded Gilmour in a 7 player deal. Traded Ronning in a 6 player deal. Traded for, and then traded, Oates within 3 years. Signed Stevens, with all the draft pick compensation. Signed Shanahan, offering Brind'Amour and Joseph as compensation, but ultimately losing Stevens instead. Trades for Housley. Traded Oates for Janney, had to trade Janney to Vancouver after signing Nedved to a RFA contract, then 7 days later got Janney back from Vancouver. Less than a year after getting Housley, he trades him for MacInnis. Two weeks later, gets fired July 17th, 1994, the Blues hire Keenan the same day, and 7 days later, he trades Nedved to NY for Lidster and Tikkanen.

Not that this was just a Blues thing, although they were in the middle of a lot. Imagine the internet being around back then. Not to mention the chaos of the Lindros situation. I miss that NHL. You don't get that sort of insanity anymore.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
That’s what I’m thinking as well. I’m guessing they mean lean towards a coach who can emphasize more offense and a more aggressive attack style to align with what McLellan is doing with the Kings.

Going to miss Stothers and his candidness. He seemed to have a great attitude and I hope he finds another gig as a coach. Palm Springs will soon be getting a team...

Yeah, this is an organizational philosophy change to have the younger players coming up with talent more in line with TMac's style than the older physical style of Stothers. Players absolutely loved playing for Stutts. A lot of them expressing shock this morning per Bernstein, and Brent Sutter made a post on social media. Hoven is reporting that Stothers had a option year remaining on his contract, but the Kings choose not to exercise it. I wouldn't be surprised if Reign assistant coach Chris Hajt if a strong contender for the job. He's well thought of as an up and comer in some coaching circles. He left the Reign three years ago to become and assistant coach with the Buffalo Sabres for two seasons before returning to the Reign last year. Really smart guy from what I understand. I'm not sure if the Henderson Silver Knights have a head coach or not. They will play in the Orleans Arena in Vegas this season while their new facility is being built in Henderson NV. Stothers could be a candidate there, or see if he can get another NHL assistant coaching gig. Palm Springs doesn't have a team for another full season. The San Jose affiliate in the AHL also may have an opening as they had two co-head coaches last year after long-time AHL coach Roy Somner was promoted to the Sharks.

We'll miss Stutts, a great character, funniest coach around, straight-shooter, really helped turn these kids into pros and men, not afraid to bench the so called young talents who loaf in effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad