Speculation: 2019-20 News/Rumors,Roster thread Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
If there’s only gonna be a limited amount of rinks, NBC better put dozens of cameras there. Take the broadcasts to the next level, get different angles. Also, make sure that NBCSN has access to what Toronto has. Make these playoffs something to remember.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Playing in empty arenas is an opportunity to put mics and cameras everywhere. Having player and ref audio to go with the broadcast would be a great way to offset the lack of crowd noise.

With the majority of the US broadcasts likely on a cable channel, maybe there is a window to let some colorful language be part of the experience. They could run an alternative audio feed without the announcers on OTT platforms easily.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Playing in empty arenas is an opportunity to put mics and cameras everywhere. Having player and ref audio to go with the broadcast would be a great way to offset the lack of crowd noise.

With the majority of the US broadcasts likely on a cable channel, maybe there is a window to let some colorful language be part of the experience. They could run an alternative audio feed without the announcers on OTT platforms easily.

This is the NHL you're talking about. Very slim chance of them doing something like that.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
They also did that behind the scenes stuff that is usually only the NFL's style. If they're smart they capitalize on the opportunity.
One could hope, but I have a strong suspicion they wouldn't be willing to risk letting what comes out of the players and refs mouths live, even on a channel like HBO.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I have always been an advocate of an HBO (could be any streaming service where colorful language is ok) NHL game of the week where there are mics on the players, on the refs, on the net, on the bench, in the penalty box, etc. Basically the director would need to select the mic in much the same way as they do the camera. I think it would be awesome.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Unless they're piping in arena noise, we're gonna hear the ice level stuff no matter what. I'm sure, unfortunately, there's a plan for that.
Imagine hearing Drew Doughty all game, a guy you can often hear OVER the noise :laugh:

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
If the goal was to play 2, perhaps even 3 games in a day (on weekends) in one building, it may be that Staples Center has 4 NHL caliber dressing rooms, that is getting them consideration, along with the available hotel rooms etc.

I doubt if any other building among the cities under consideration has more than 3.

Reactions: BringTheReign

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I'm all for the sounds of the game, would love a commentator free option, and have no problem willingly subjecting myself to a flurry of f-bombs.

That said, if one player uses even a mild slur it'll cause a massive headache.

Reactions: Bandit

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I'm all for the sounds of the game, would love a commentator free option, and have no problem willingly subjecting myself to a flurry of f-bombs.

ESPN put a commentator free option on the 2018 Frozen Four, I enjoyed it a lot. No screaming announcers, no Jim Fox homerism. You could just hear the sounds of the game, I thought it was great.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Not sure the NHL would risk such a thing live. "Image of the game" and all.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
One could hope, but I have a strong suspicion they wouldn't be willing to risk letting what comes out of the players and refs mouths live, even on a channel like HBO.

Yah, I can see the LGBT community filing the first complaint. The F word pertaining to a players sexual orientation is thrown around more than any word on a hockey rink.

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita

I'm not so sure about that. There's a lot of talk now about racism in hockey. But it's between players. The refs don't hear it, there's no recording. Nobody can really take any action. But if it happens live on air, and the NHL finally has the opportunity to just bring the hammer down on someone, it may actually make the league look good: 'Look, we're doing something!' Instead of just a lot of PR & talk.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
If they have the mics picking the ambience of the game from the rafters and not at ice level, they won't hear anything controversial. You'll hear incoherent shouting sometimes. Like being at a Kings game and sitting in the 300s in a low scoring game.

Reactions: Lt Dan

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
I don't really see it working in LA unless its completely split between LA and Anaheim, 6 teams down 6 teams up. They have Anaheim's new practice facility and TSC play at both staples and the pond. Not a long drive between the two.

The ice wouldn't be that big of a problem, you don't have 18,000+ people in there acting like 98 degree heaters, all the doors aren't open to let fans in and out. the ice would probably be pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad