NBA 2019-20 NBA Regular Season Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Kyrie is still relatively in his prime. Adam Silver has already outlined what the players stand to gain or lose from not finishing out the season. Kyrie is risking his future earnings, and his standing with his employer, not to mention media partners.

People like to laugh at Kyrie for his eccentric beliefs, but they don't recognize that he is the one guy who is willing to not follow along blindly like any another sheep in the herd. I am guaranteeing you that Silver will have more sleepless nights about Kyrie than Goodell did with Kaepernick. Kyrie is directly questioning the power structure. The attacks that will come his way from the media will be swift and persistent. He is threatening their livelihoods and they are losing their shit. Its glorious to watch. The NBA media is spinning in their own hypocrisy.

I lol'd at this one. Kyrie and the Coalition is barely front page news. You know that all they've asked from the NBA is that they make bigger donations to black communities and to improve hiring practices for minorities, right? That sure is threatening.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I lol'd at this one. Kyrie and the Coalition is barely front page news. You know that all they've asked from the NBA is that they make bigger donations to black communities and to improve hiring practices for minorities, right? That sure is threatening.
Kyrie's protest actually has teeth, he has reportedly 100+ players on his side. Some who are key players on contending teams. To the NFL Kaepernick was just an annoyance that could easily be buried. Kyrie isn't going to go away so easy.

Also ask yourself why the media was so invested in covering the NFL player's coalition while they don't seem to have time to cover the dissension within the NBA.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Kyrie's protest actually has teeth, he has reportedly 100+ players on his side. Some who are key players on contending teams. To the NFL Kaepernick was just an annoyance that could easily be buried. Kyrie isn't going to go away so easy.

Also ask yourself why the media was so invested in covering the NFL player's coalition while they don't seem to have time to cover the dissension within the NBA.

Oh let me guess. Because Kyrie is an absolute genius who can control the media, right? :eyeroll:

You should be Kyrie's hype-man. You're doing a far better job at hyping him up than Kyrie's own words and actions could ever.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's not a bad idea and not exclusive to Kyrie. Trust me Lebron, Jay Z, Diddy, etc are all thinking it. Ownership is key. NFL gets killed and while they don't have any African American ownership. They have more diversity than the NBA.
No, I don't trust you because the only person to be thinking this right now is Kyrie Irving according to what we know.
Kyrie already has a better plan of action than Kaepernick ever did. He has way more leverage and is striking at a time when public sentiment seems to be on his side. Kaepernick's protest fizzled out because he was a lone guy kneeling (later joined by others), Kyrie is organizing with his fellow NBA players to effectively shut the league down until demands are met. Just look how much Kyrie is getting vilified in the media right now because the league's partners will be losing millions due to Kyrie's actions. Kaep's protest just pissed off a certain segment of the population, fear of offending fans made teams hesitant to sign him which alienated people on the other side of the aisle, the combined effect began to negatively affect the NFL's bottom line. Politicizing the NFL may have worked to amplify Kaep's message but Kyrie is threatening to do a whole lot more.

He is also exposing all the hypocrites who supported Kaep but are now bashing him because their wallets are under threat. Its easy to be a social activist when the fall out isn't going to affect you, just ask our basketball ambassador from China, Lebron James.
It's not hypocrisy.

One guy was standing up for a movement, the other guy wants to start his own league. There's a huge difference.

I never agree with Kendrick Perkins but he was right today when he said that Kyrie is a distraction. Rather than talking about the movement, the last few days people have been talking about Kyrie Irving. That's not productive at all.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Also, what if the bigger issues aren't gone by October? Does Kyrie and the Coalition continue to sit out another season?

What exactly are NBA players going to do during this playoff that's going to have such an impact? Please explain.

No, I don't trust you because the only person to be thinking this right now is Kyrie Irving according to what we know.

It's not hypocrisy.

One guy was standing up for a movement, the other guy wants to start his own league. There's a huge difference.

I never agree with Kendrick Perkins but he was right today when he said that Kyrie is a distraction. Rather than talking about the movement, the last few days people have been talking about Kyrie Irving. That's not productive at all.

If you don't think Jay Z and Lebron are thinking about ownership you must not follow them.

You are twisting Kyrie's motive now because in a group chat he randomly talked about starting his own league. That has nothing to do with why he wants to cancel the 19-20 season.

You aren't listening just like how people didn't listen to Kap.

Reactions: Pyromaniac

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
What exactly are NBA players going to do during this playoff that's going to have such an impact? Please explain.

That's not my issue. I never said NBA players were going to have a huge impact. I just said that whatever they decided they would do off-the-court would be better served doing it on-the-court where they have a bigger platform to reach more people. Like I said, I support the players in whatever they want to do. They want to skip the season? Sure, do it. They want to play and protest and the same time? Sure, I'm fine with that as well.

I see you conveniently avoided answering my question. Apparently I guess you think sitting out to protest is more important than playing a short season, but it's not more important than playing a full season. Good to know you have your priorities straight.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Someone needs to tell Perkins to chill. He has had issues with Kyrie going back some time and now he's on the air making it personal and insulting him. I'll admit, I laughed at that "if you put Kyrie's brain in a bird, it would fly backwards" comment but that's not helping.

Reactions: Cassano

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Oh let me guess. Because Kyrie is an absolute genius who can control the media, right?
rolleyes1.gif

You should be Kyrie's hype-man. You're doing a far better job at hyping him up than Kyrie's own words and actions could ever.
I will spell it for you. Sports media at large has an agenda against the NFL. The NBA on the other hand is a media darling. Hence dissension within the NFL is covered extensively while dissension within the NBA is being downplayed. The focus is not Kyrie, the focus is the discord within the NBAPA which will not be covered honestly by the sports media. Lebron fanboys like Kendrick Perkins will bash Kyrie for expressing a sentiment that 100+ NBA players seem to agree upon.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012

It's not hypocrisy.

Until Kyrie comes out and says he wants to start his own league I won't believe it. This is another attempt to discredit the messenger. 100+ NBA players don't want the season to continue but the media wants to focus on whether Kyrie believes in the Lochness monster. Absurd.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Dwight Howard was with Kyrie too. What are they saying to bash his character? Imagine if people said the things they say about Kyrie about Kap.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It doesn't sound like there are too many players on board with not playing and everyone is still optimistic about a return. The cases spiking in Florida and specifically in Orlando is probably a bigger concern than whatever Kyrie is saying/doing.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
It doesn't sound like there are too many players on board with not playing and everyone is still optimistic about a return. The cases spiking in Florida and specifically in Orlando is probably a bigger concern than whatever Kyrie is saying/doing.

Worldstar posted a NBA video today and almost all the comments I saw reflected what Kyrie is saying. No need for basketball bigger issues at hand. Of course they will probably watch regardless. But I think a lot of fans would support the NBA in not playing.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Florida is the last place that any organized sporting activities should be taking place either now or anytime soon. If I'm an NBA player, I'd be thinking long & hard about committing to the NBA's plan in Orlando at this point.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Its not ideal but why not play in a low population state like say Maine or Wyoming. You don't need a huge arena since theres no fans.

I get hotels may not be the Ritz Carlton but who cares, if you wanna play then you'll show up.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Florida is the last place that any organized sporting activities should be taking place either now or anytime soon. If I'm an NBA player, I'd be thinking long & hard about committing to the NBA's plan in Orlando at this point.

Yeah, it keeps getting worse and worse in Florida so it's concerning but they might feel they'll be able to control things in the "bubble." If everyone is tested and no one from the general population can enter then it could work. One problem is that all of the Disney employees needed there will be entering and leaving according to their current plan and that's an issue.

Its not ideal but why not play in a low population state like say Maine or Wyoming. You don't need a huge arena since theres no fans.

I get hotels may not be the Ritz Carlton but who cares, if you wanna play then you'll show up.

The players most definitely care. There's even hesitation among players about being stuck in this mega Disney complex with great accommodations. Players want to play and are willing to take health risks to do so but I don't think they'd be willing to give up their normal level of comfort and do anything in order to play.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The players most definitely care. There's even hesitation among players about being stuck in this mega Disney complex with great accommodations. Players want to play and are willing to take health risks to do so but I don't think they'd be willing to give up their normal level of comfort and do anything in order to play.

Well then too bad. They have it better than 99% of the world. It would just go to show they aren't in it for the love of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad