NBA 2019-20 NBA Regular Season Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That was a fun game. Props to the Nets for playing their guys and playing hard because of the playoff spot on the line in the West.

The NBA better keep the play-in around going forward. They've been talking about it for years and were finally forced into it because the season got cut short. It's fun and it'll make for some meaningful games down the stretch.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Between the Giannis suspension and the fact they are tied with Memphis and they aren't playing a play-in, it feels like the league did all they could to keep the Suns out despite going 8-0.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Divac out in Sacramento.

from espn.com:

A day after finishing the NBA seeding round 3-5 and missing the postseason for the 14th straight year as a franchise, Sacramento Kings general manager Vlade Divac stepped down, the team announced Friday.

Joe Dumars, the 2002-03 NBA Executive of the Year with theDetroit Pistons, has been named executive vice president of basketball operations and will immediately assume interim GM duties as well, according to the team.

"This was a difficult decision, but we believe it is the best path ahead as we work to build a winning team that our loyal fans deserve," Kings owner and chairman Vivek Ranadivé said in a statement. "We are thankful for Vlade's leadership, commitment and hard work both on and off the court. He will always be a part of our Kings family."

Divac, 52, was hired by the Kings in 2015 as the team's vice president of basketball and franchise operations -- a signature decision by Ranadive two years after buying the team -- after Hall of Famer Chris Mullin left a similar role with the franchise to become the head coach of his alma mater, St. John's University.

Divac quickly added GM to his responsibilities, replacing Pete D'Alessandro, and cycled through two coaches -- George Karl (2015-16) and Dave Joerger (2016-19) -- before hiring Luke Walton in 2019 to a deal that runs through 2022-23, the same length of the contract extension that Divac signed in 2019 that he's walking away from. The Kings have informed Walton that he will remain the team's head coach despite the resignation of Divac, sources told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne.

Full story: Divac out as Kings' GM; Dumars to assume role

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

You can point to passing on Luka as Vlades downfall but the guy was in over his head from the get-go.

This is not something a GM should admit to the media.

Edit: I see @BostonBob beat me to it.

Reactions: Voight

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.

You can point to passing on Luka as Vlades downfall but the guy was in over his head from the get-go.

This is not something a GM should admit to the media.

Edit: I see @BostonBob beat me to it.

To add to this, a new GM might not be named until after the draft. GM will decide the fate of Peja, some other person I can't remember, and Walton.

Two names floating around is Knicks Scott Perry (was with Kings and connected to Dumars) and Bobby Webster of the Raptors(Ujiri calls the shot in TO but Webster been important to the organization).

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
i have a hard time envisioning walton staying as HC with a new GM on board

guy is just an awful coach

Walton will likely be back next season if the new GM comes from within the organization. But if the new Sacramento GM comes from another team then Walton is probably gone or at least on a very short leash.

Sep 19, 2008
Lakers fans know how bad Walton is as a coach

He didn't really do much with the Kings too. And the Kings "had a bright young roster" :laugh:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
surprised the pels fired gentry. he seems like a good fit for that young core

and reports are saying ty lue and jason kidd are the frontrunners for the job? talk about a downgrade

Reactions: KapG

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Divac was an awful hire in the first place. He had no experience and was essentially hired because he was a fan favorite and a symbol of when the team was last relevant. Dumars is pretty bad to so heres hoping they dont give him the full time gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad