2019-20 Minor League Thread - Rampage/Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
There was no reason for us not to have signed him, except for the fact that we didn’t really have an AHL team to send him to. Even if we didn’t see him as an NHL player, he would be a huge help in San Antonio right now. The problem being, we didn’t have control over San Antonio or Chicago when it was time for a contract, and he likely would have been asked to go to Tulsa, which for a player like him, would have to be a non-starter. That’s a real shame, and we’d be a better organization today with him in it.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Former Blues prospect Glenn Gawdin is tied for 4th in scoring in the AHL. It's a bit strange that the Blues never offered him a contract(or so it appears). He didn't really light it up in the WHL until his overage season, but for a 4th round pick he always had pretty solid numbers. I wonder if he'll get a chance in Calgary this year. Still just 22 years old.

Correct that the Blues declined to sign Gawdin by 6/1/17, thus making him eligible for the 2017 draft...but nobody re-drafted him. He was eventually signed as a free agent by the Flames.

I’m not sure exactly why the Blues didn’t sign him to a deal but in hindsight, it looks like they should have.

Oh well. Good for Calgary.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Former Blues prospect Glenn Gawdin is tied for 4th in scoring in the AHL. It's a bit strange that the Blues never offered him a contract(or so it appears). He didn't really light it up in the WHL until his overage season, but for a 4th round pick he always had pretty solid numbers. I wonder if he'll get a chance in Calgary this year. Still just 22 years old.
I was very disappointed the Blues didn't offer him a contract at the time, given our forward prospects in the minors. Even if he was relegated to AHL time for the rest of his career, it seems like my intuition was right. I don't remember the contract situation for the Blues at the time, so I can't say for sure if they would've went over the total allowed contracts, but I didn't like them letting him walk, especially after his final year in junior (even if he was an overager).

Schwartz17

Jan 19, 2020
Long time reader, first time poster here. Looks like Nolan Stevens is putting together a decent season. Anybody have a scouting report on him recently?

Reactions: BlueDream

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What is wrong with San Antonio? Bad coach and system, poor players or just bad goaltending? :sarcasm:

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
What is wrong with San Antonio? Bad coach and system, poor players or just bad goaltending? :sarcasm:

I think it’s at least possible that we aren’t “trying” to win. We sort of did the same thing in Peoria. The priority isn’t necessarily winning games, but developing prospects. Successful AHL teams will often have lots of veterans that play a lot more than the prospects, and we saw the same thing in Chicago several years ago with Megan, Agostino, and Aggozzino. That isn’t what we’re trying to do, we’re trying to let our prospects play in all situations and get a bunch of experience, even if it doesn’t lead to success. When you mix in that reality that our prospects are all mostly - at best - high end 4th liners (again, a few exceptions), you’re not going to win a lot of games, but your guys are probably going to be over-prepared if you ever need to call them up.

I get that approach, but having your prospects just lose all the time doesn’t seem like a great way to breed confidence. Success breeds success, and I hope that we can find a better middle ground soon.

It’s also worth it to mention that our recent vet signings haven’t always worked out as well as the Walker and Pouliot signings have. Nick Lappin was supposed to be much better this year than he has been. Ryan Olsen and Joey Laleggia fell off a huge cliff over the summer. Brian Flynn was supposed to be a leader last year, and only lasted 20 games before bolting for Europe. It’s just been hard to find good vets consistently. That has a lot to do with it too.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Good discussion about what the Rampage should be doing. Ideally they are contending for AHL titles, building a winning culture, and being coached in the same style as the Blues.

The situation now is that there just aren't that many prospects at the pro level. There needs to be some career AAAA players but not too many.

Will take a few years to rebuild the pro level prospect pool but until then San Antonio needs to put some kind of appealing product on the ice to draw some fans.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Let's not forget how bad the Peoria teams were at developing players as well. Between the lockout and when we went with the Wolves (about a decade), who developed down there and ended up having a career? Polak, Reaves, Cole, Eller, am I missing any skaters?

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
When the Rampage play the system and play hard, they are a very good hockey team. They mirror the Blues in all but two areas and those areas are killing them.

Team defense. They still give up way too many high danger chances per game. They have had games where they completely shut down the other team in the neutral zone, but then will make one mistake which leads to a great chance the other way. Which leads to the second thing...

Their goalies just aren't good enough. They aren't making enough saves on those high danger chances, and even worse, they both allow terrible goals at times. So even when the team plays that great game where they limit chances, the opponent will get those one or two that they shouldn't and its game over.

The biggest issue is they dont play the system or, more specifically, play hard night and night out. To me, that falls on both the coaches and the leadership group.

Morty is also spot on that some players completely regressed that were counted on to be leaders. Along with Olsen and Legs, I'll throw Jordan Nolan in there as well. Most nights, guy is completely invisible.

It's been a discouraging season and the playoffs probably wont happen, but one thing to notice. They are currently 6 points out of the playoffs despite this poor play and being in last place. They are an 8-2 stretch from being right back into the thick of the race.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Let's not forget how bad the Peoria teams were at developing players as well. Between the lockout and when we went with the Wolves (about a decade), who developed down there and ended up having a career? Polak, Reaves, Cole, Eller, am I missing any skaters?
Chris Porter played a couple hundred games. I’d say he would qualify. Cracknell too. Neither guy was anything special, but had decent careers. That’s pretty much all I remember. Not much else.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Their goalies just aren't good enough. They aren't making enough saves on those high danger chances, and even worse, they both allow terrible goals at times. So even when the team plays that great game where they limit chances, the opponent will get those one or two that they shouldn't and its game over.

Sad to see that Husso isn't living up to his potential. Had hoped he would be ready to replace Allen next season as a back-up goalie. Seing Fitzpatrick isn't doing well either has me a bit worried. So for now, it's all eyes on Hofer.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Sad to see that Husso isn't living up to his potential. Had hoped he would be ready to replace Allen next season as a back-up goalie. Seing Fitzpatrick isn't doing well either has me a bit worried. So for now, it's all eyes on Hofer.

Husso is becoming a problem. Looks now if they trade Allen a vet will have to be signed as the backup.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Checked the Rampage's site: Hockey Staff | San Antonio Rampage
They don't appear to have a goalie coach. I thought it was Dave Rogalski.

With the Blues it's David Alexander.
Well, eh, it surely doesn't help them.

Husso is knowed he needed a lot of quidance in his junior and 20's from goaltender coach. Hell, even Allen had problems in NHL level and needed help from goaltender coach or even therapist.

Hopefully his teammates shoots puck to him after trainings compare to what happened in beer league. Sounds like its really big mess how some AHL teams develope their pkayers. Maybe there is good reason why from Finland comes one of the best goaltenders their have their goaltender coaches :laugh:

Wonder what Tampa are doing differently in AHL. They sure do it right knowing how good players they are developing.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Husso is becoming a problem. Looks now if they trade Allen a vet will have to be signed as the backup.
That will likely happen anyway. They have to have a goalie under contract with (I believe) 28 regular season games of NHL experience at the expansion draft in June 2021 and I don't see anyway Husso plays 28 games between now April 2021 unless something has gone horribly wrong. My assumption is that they will either trade Allen in the summer and sign a veteran backup to a 2-year deal or extend Allen for a year if he is willing to do so and they feel they need to keep him around. I see the second part of that scenario as highly unlikely. I'm sure Allen still has aspirations to be a starter in this league.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Well, eh, it surely doesn't help them.

Husso is knowed he needed a lot of quidance in his junior and 20's from goaltender coach. Hell, even Allen had problems in NHL level and needed help from goaltender coach or even therapist.

Hopefully his teammates shoots puck to him after trainings compare to what happened in beer league. Sounds like its really big mess how some AHL teams develope their pkayers. Maybe there is good reason why from Finland comes one of the best goaltenders their have their goaltender coaches :laugh:

Wonder what Tampa are doing differently in AHL. They sure do it right knowing how good players they are developing.
Checked the Rampage's site: Hockey Staff | San Antonio Rampage
They don't appear to have a goalie coach. I thought it was Dave Rogalski.

With the Blues it's David Alexander.

Rogalski *is* the goalie coach. He just isn’t strictly with the Rampage full time. AFAIK, he’s based in Minnesota, but travels to San Antonio, Tulsa, Portland, and Rimouski regularly. When he isn’t there in person, he’s getting film and working hand in hand with both the video coaches of our prospects’ respective teams, and Dave Alexander who is in St Louis full time.

Goalie coaching isn’t the issue here. Our goalie coaches are awesome.

Reactions: Blueston

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The goalie coach apparently didn’t ruin Binnington. Not sure why Husso should get a pass. He’s been a disappointment, but it’s not to the point of giving up all hope on him yet.

Reactions: Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad