Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Its' going to be so easy. Gardiner won't play for the leafs anymore. Dermott stays and we have the defense there. Also young liljegrens etc are coming. There we have it.

Other contracts will be like marleau gone after year one etc. Some otha sucka might be packing too like brown. And there we have it. Filling these spots are young suckas and one cheaper than life vet. There we have it. Money is right.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Management was in the 6-6.5 range Nylander wanted 8-8.5 they settled at 7, how is that “getting curb stomped?” Sounds like a negotiation where both sides made concessions and met somewhere in the middle (closer to Leaf numbers than Nylanders in the end)

1m more cap hit then Ehlers and Melander sold 2 LESS years of UFA.

Funny,i keep hearing how the less years of UFA we buy from Matthews the lower the cap hit will be.

Most odd that it did not happen with Melanders and his perfect match,Ehlers.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Honest question I was hoping Leaf Nation can answer.

If needed, from a technical contractual perspective. Can Zaitsev be put on waivers and maybe sent to the Marlies?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

If needed, from a technical contractual perspective. Can Zaitsev be put on waivers and maybe sent to the Marlies?
yes but a good portion of his contract will remain on the cap

Reactions: willmma

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Yes, since he doesn't have a NMC (still could in that case though; just requires (unlikely) player consent). The cap cost would still be around 3.5 M x 5, so it'd be a last resort type option.

Reactions: willmma

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga

Funny,i keep hearing how the less years of UFA we buy from Matthews the lower the cap hit will be.

The Melander joke is so funny keep it up.
There's a shift in all athletes thoughts when it comes to getting paid and it's not just Nylander has been affected by that. Sure, in a perfect world Nylander would have signed for less but 7M for a player of his caliber is not a bad price by any means. He will not be the cap issue on this team it's the poorly used cap in Zaitsev and Marleau. Both contracts were overpayments at the time and realistically should be ~1M less each.
And yeah trends show that if we buy 3 years of his UFA years than we'd be looking at an extra 1-1.5M per season.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

There’s a complete and utter lack of consistency when it comes to what people are saying about Matthews in comparison to what was said about Nylander. And I knew it would happen.

I’ve heard it said repeatedly in regards to Matthews that his goal totals need to be taken into consideration. But this was shot down and mocked when we brought it up in WN vs Pastrnak.

I hear repeatedly that Matthews final elc year has a higher p/gp than comparables. But this was, again, shot down and mocked when we brought it up Nylander last elc year compared to pastrnak’s.

I’ve also heard numerous times that “Matthews is clearly better than Eichel, regardless of points”. Again, this was shot down and mocked when brought up in WN vs Pastrnak.

Now, apparently, term of contract isn’t a factor when it comes to Matthews aav? Neither do ufa years taken up? It’s gotten completely insane.

Leaf fans will cling to anything that makes it appear the leaf player is better. They don’t care about consistency and honesty.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
The Melander joke is so funny keep it up.
There's a shift in all athletes thoughts when it comes to getting paid and it's not just Nylander has been affected by that. Sure, in a perfect world Nylander would have signed for less but 7M for a player of his caliber is not a bad price by any means. He will not be the cap issue on this team it's the poorly used cap in Zaitsev and Marleau. Both contracts were overpayments at the time and realistically should be ~1M less each.
And yeah trends show that if we buy 3 years of his UFA years than we'd be looking at an extra 1-1.5M per season.
A 24 year old with 60 points last season and on pace for 70 this year, just signed for 5.4 aav.

See? Why does NONE of what you’re saying apply to other teams? It’s all just bullshit.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
A 24 year old with 60 points last season and on pace for 70 this year, just signed for 5.4 aav.

See? Why does NONE of what you’re saying apply to other teams? It’s all just bull****.
We talk about contracts like that because they're steals. Did you expect him to sign a contract like that and clearly be labeled as a steal?
Why does willy being maybe 500K overpaid become such an issue when we've wasted more cap space on other players on our roster and around the league there are so many more laughable contracts. Plus above all, Nylander is worth his price tag and as soon as he starts getting some bounces his doubters will slowly die down.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
If they sign:
Matthews 11x5
Marner 10x6 ,
Would they be able to navigate without too much trouble?
Would they be able to make the trades to compete or would they need to stay in a holding pattern for a year?

The Leafs cannot afford to pat Marner more than 9mill. anything more than that then most of the roster next season will be Marlies.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Something that is often neglected to be taken into account for are Leafs carryover bonus penalties.

Currently the Leafs are looking at potentially as much as ...

POTENTIAL PERFORMANCE BONUSES [The sum of performance bonuses obtainable by players currently listed on the active roster] $5,400,000

You don't have to carry over the bonus money, you can take it in the current year.

We have lots of space this year so obviously it will all be accounted for in this cap year.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You don't have to carry over the bonus money, you can take it in the current year.

We have lots of space this year so obviously it will all be accounted for in this cap year.
I have heard many different answers to what the numbers really are. Yes you can take it. But exactly what it is that is difficult. Some say we don't have space to add anyone else. Some say we do. But many have told me don't go off of Cap Friendly as it is not correct. And both sides say it with equal conviction.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
We talk about contracts like that because they're steals. Did you expect him to sign a contract like that and clearly be labeled as a steal?
Why does willy being maybe 500K overpaid become such an issue when we've wasted more cap space on other players on our roster and around the league there are so many more laughable contracts. Plus above all, Nylander is worth his price tag and as soon as he starts getting some bounces his doubters will slowly die down.
So, in other words, you’re pretty much saying “Well, their gm is just a lot better than ours and gives their players better contracts.” How is that supposed to make anyone feel better about the Nylander overpayment?

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
So, in other words, you’re pretty much saying “Well, their gm is just a lot better than ours and gives their players better contracts.” How is that supposed to make anyone feel better about the Nylander overpayment?
First I don't know which player this is making 5.4 million so that's great. And second, there are really very few people that think it's an overpayment. Dude is getting so unlucky it's getting funny. He's starting to warm up a bit so let it play out for longer than 20 games before you call it an overpayment.
Did the Leafs acquire Kucherov?
Kucherov>Marner
Marner's my favourite player but he's not better or worth more.
Edit: Ah, no they obviously don't have him but the thought of Marner getting over 9.5/season seems unlikely to me.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Because he was from a multi millionaire family AND held out until literally the last 30 minutes..... You think that is going to happen again? Bottom line is even holding out until the last hour nylander got paid .0875 of the cap. Players of his comparable talents generally sign for 8-9 percent of the cap....

He got the high end, but still the upper range of his contract. Ehlers signed for security, and went a little low. Good for the jets. People act like nylanders hit is an atrocity. Its probably at most 500k over.

Most stars who arent Crosby/Malkin/Ovy/ Mcdavid level took 11 percent on a 5-6 year deal. Tavares went a little lower for the isles.... Kane etc went a little high.

Matthews probably sees himself at the high end of that level, which would be about 11-12 percent. About 9-10 million a year....

EDIT: 8-9 percent of the cap is generally for 6 year deals. Forsberg, Monahan etc all signed for this. Larkin signed for 7.75 on a 5 year deal. Willy was in the high range of normal.

I would have thought. 6.25-6.5 x 6. He ended up at 6.9..... its not a disaster to have to pay 500k over.....

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
First I don't know which player this is making 5.4 million so that's great. And second, there are really very few people that think it's an overpayment. Dude is getting so unlucky it's getting funny. He's starting to warm up a bit so let it play out for longer than 20 games before you call it an overpayment.

Kucherov>Marner
Marner's my favourite player but he's not better or worth more.
Edit: Ah, no they obviously don't have him but the thought of Marner getting over 9.5/season seems unlikely to me.

Marner is comparing himself to Matthews, Tavares and Nylander.
Those other guys don’t really matter.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

That would be the goal, but that means leaving unspent cap this year, when really Leafs are in a WIN NOW mode with the advantage of AM or MM still on their ELC.

Its either this year or next year, pick your poison.

Leafs went All-IN by dealing their 1st and prospects for Muzzin, and then are saving cap to fit Matthews and Marner's bonuses this year, when the previous year they deferred them to this year.

Leafs might end having 2017-18 CARRYOVER BONUS OVERAGES @ $2.55 mil + 2018-19 POTENTIAL PERFORMANCE BONUSES @ $5.4 mil for $7.95 mil all used against this years cap.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
That would be the goal, but that means leaving unspent cap this year, when really Leafs are in a WIN NOW mode with the advantage of AM or MM still on their ELC.

Its either this year or next year, pick your poison.

Leafs went All-IN by dealing their 1st and prospects for Muzzin, and then are saving cap to fit Matthews and Marner's bonuses this year, when the previous year they deferred them to this year.

Leafs might end having 2017-18 CARRYOVER BONUS OVERAGES @ $2.55 mil + 2018-19 POTENTIAL PERFORMANCE BONUSES @ $5.4 mil for $ 7.95 mil all used against this years cap.

The bigger pinch is definitely next year unless you can move Marleau out after June 1st.

We have 5M+ in cap space available this year to absorb the hit.

Don't forget any other additions this year would only be pro-rated portions of the AAV so it may only need 700K-1M in space to fit them in for the last month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad