Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Zaitsev played the right side with Muzzin, I think this can really help him. Having a defensive minded vet like Muzzin steadying his game should help.

Ideally if we could dump him at minimal cost and we can find someone to replace most of his minutes then great but we are in no place to trade RHD even if he is paid slightly too much and plays too many minutes.

I don’t think Liljegren is ready to make the next step either. He has been hurt most of the year and unless he has a fantastic end of the year, a great Calder Run and fantastic offseason where he puts on 10-15lbs and is lights out at training camp he needs more seasoning. I know that is a lot of things to go right, just saying he is not ready for the NHL. I would rather him over develop in AHL then have another Pool Party situation.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Bridging is an option with Kapanen, but it may not be with Johnsson having arbitration rights. Which is why I have said trading Johnsson may be necessary, even though I feel he is more needed as the LW side is significantly weaker than the RW side.

Seems like a lot of people's answer is to trade Nylander. The truth of the matter is, no smart team trades off the top the roster to keep the middle of the roster intact.

Arbitration deals are only one or two years and players cannot be signed to offersheets if arbitration has been filed. Signing Johnsson to a bridge deal should be easier.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Leafs must to stay under the Salary Cap, rather than how can they is the mandadte.

Tough decisions are on the horizon shortly where the middle players making $4-5 mil will be forced out for cap reasons and Leafs will end up with a few high-end talent but high AAV prices and then a bunch of scrubs, Marlies and ELC players rounding out their team.
This is true and has happened only because of the CAP. So good teams with financial resources to pay for more talent are required to drop down because it has been socialized via contract. In a free world where striving to get better is allowed you just carry on improving. But in the NHL you can't. So you will never see the best any team can do.

Reactions: kb

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Sad thing is no one will ever see the best of the best again until Bettman is gone. Mediocrity with participation awards for all is all you will ever see under Bettman.

When was it that fans could see the best of the best besides Olympics?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Arbitration deals are only one or two years and players cannot be signed to offersheets if arbitration has been filed. Signing Johnsson to a bridge deal should be easier.
Right but if he gets 50+ points and gets upwards of $4 million in arbitration, that is a huge problem for the Leafs because their only 2 options are pay or walk away. I am not concerned about an offer sheet, and nor (I suspect) is Johnsson.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Sure tell that to Stan Bowman who traded Buff, Sharp, Ladd, Versteeg, Bolland, Campbell, Hammer, Panarin, Niemi etc. etc. etc. in order to stay under the cap and he has 3 Stanley Cups to show for it. In a cap world teams may not be able to keep all their diamonds and with the contracts Leafs have been handing out, something has to give unless they can move Z and Marleau IMO.
Exactly. So he didn't trade Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook, Crawford, etc. to make room for those middle tier players.

Like I pointed out, he traded from the middle of the roster, not the top. Thank you for taking the time to detail that for us.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Right but if he gets 50+ points and gets upwards of $4 million in arbitration, that is a huge problem for the Leafs because their only 2 options are pay or walk away. I am not concerned about an offer sheet, and nor (I suspect) is Johnsson.

I doubt it goes to arbitration. You cannot walk away from club elected arbitration awards and you can only walk away from player-elected arbitration of approx $4.3 million or more. Expect this number to rise with the cap.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The truth of the matter is, no smart team trades off the top the roster to keep the middle of the roster intact.

Chicago Blackhawks:
2010: Versteeg to Toronto, Ladd to Atlanta, Byfuglien to Atlanta
2011: Bryan Campbell to Florida

Quebec Nordiques:

1995: Mats Sundin to Toronto
1996: Owen Nolan to San Jose

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I doubt it goes to arbitration. You cannot walk away from club elected arbitration awards and you can only walk away from player-elected arbitration of approx $4.3 million or more. Expect this number to rise with the cap.
The club will not elect arbitration with Johnsson. Too much risk and uncertainty. And it's really a no lose situation for the player.

In Kapanen's case, he basically has only an offer sheet as leverage. The Leafs will match up to $4.06 million I suspect (1st and 3rd).

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012

He's suggesting no cap like the stacked Wings of the late 90's had.

the cap is good for the league and you're being self serving to say the league is better without it just because Toronto has the money to spend.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Chicago Blackhawks:
2010: Versteeg to Toronto, Ladd to Atlanta, Byfuglien to Atlanta
2011: Bryan Campbell to Florida

Quebec Nordiques:

1995: Mats Sundin to Toronto
1996: Owen Nolan to San Jose

Why are you including pre cap trades? Those were "hockey" trades, not "cap" trades. Toronto would keep everybody if there was no cap, so this is pointless.

Again, they were not players off of the top of Chicago's roster - they were off the middle of the roster. They identified the 6 core players as:

Toews
Kane
Hossa
Keith
Seabrook
Crawford

For the Leafs the 6 core players are:

Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Nylander
Rielly
Andersen

The Leafs will trade anyone else to keep this core intact. Exactly like Chicago did to keep their core intact.

Reactions: Menzinger

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Leafs are about 8m over cap next year with after all their RFAs are signed.
If Marleau retires, then that's 6.25m cap hit that can be traded.
I personally don't know why so many folks think Zaitsev gets traded. He is somewhat overpaid and a long term contract which make him a difficult, plus the Leafs don't have anyone to eat those minutes he does plays.
Brown, not really a big enough cap hit to make that much difference.
To me the most logical trade is Nylander. 7m cap hit but a nice 4,7m actual cash payout fo the next 5 years after July 1st. Think it a lot easier to trade one guy and find a replacement then trades three players and trying to find 3 cheap NHL competent replacements.

Makes sense. After Jul. 1 I suspect we'll see Nylander traded. Ottawa, Carolina and Arizona look like good candidates, possibly Colorado. And after collecting his bonus, I suspect that Marleau, recognizing his abilities have seriously declined, accepts that age has beaten him and waives his NMC. And the team has suddenly almost $14mil extra to play with. This gives the Leafs the money to pay Marner his $10 mil a year, Kappy and Johnsson their $4-$5 mil a year, and possibly with the Nylander trade, a cost controlled middle six defender. The team can promote Moore and Bracco and maybe Marchment to the big squad. Problems solved, low cost ELCers in.

Reactions: ToneDog

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The club will not elect arbitration with Johnsson. Too much risk and uncertainty. And it's really a no lose situation for the player.

In Kapanen's case, he basically has only an offer sheet as leverage. The Leafs will match up to $4.06 million I suspect (1st and 3rd).

Maybe I misunderstood your post and I apologize if I did. Based on 2018 Cap, up to $4.06, the compensation is only a 2nd round pick, not 1st and 3rd. That number will go up as the Cap rises though and estimates are that the upper limit for a 2nd round pick as compensation will be in the $4.1-$4.2M range for 2019. Right now, a 1st and a 3rd is the compensation for $4.06-$6.09M.

Still, I agree the Leafs will match, just clarifying.

Reactions: dsred

Auston Powers

May 16, 2016
Toronto

2003-2004 Maple Leafs as an example...
13 Mats Sundin (Hockey hall of fame)
89 Alexander Mogilny
7 Gary Roberts
25 Joe Nieuwendyk (Hockey hall of fame)
11 Owen Nolan
16 Darcy Tucker
10 Ron Francis (Hockey hall of fame)
19 Mikael Renberg
28 Tie Domi
2 Brian Leetch (Hockey hall of fame)
15 Tomas Kaberle
24 Bryan McCabe
20 Ed Belfour (Hockey hall of fame)

80 Nikolai Antropov
21 Robert Reichel
23 Alexei Ponikarovsky
14 Matthew Stajan
12 Tom Fitzgerald
22 Ken Klee
9 Calle Johansson
27 Bryan Marchment
29 Karel Pilar
26 Nathan Perrott
8 Aki-Petteri Berg
55 Richard Jackman
18 Harold Druken
55 Drake Berehowsky
18 Chad Kilger
33 Craig Johnson
3 Wade Belak
37 Trevor Kidd
45 Carlo Colaiacovo
3 Pierre Hedin
42 Kyle Wellwood
9 Josh Holden
38 Brad Leeb
34 Maxim Kondratiev
39 Clarke Wilm
32 Mikael Tellqvist

2002-2003 looked pretty good too as we had these scrubs on our team as well...
Renberg
Corson
Lumme
Wesley
Housley (Hockey hall of fame)
Gilmour (Hockey hall of fame)

Reactions: nsleaf

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Makes sense. After Jul. 1 I suspect we'll see Nylander traded. Ottawa, Carolina and Arizona look like good candidates, possibly Colorado. And after collecting his bonus, I suspect that Marleau, recognizing his abilities have seriously declined, accepts that age has beaten him and waives his NMC. And the team has suddenly almost $14mil extra to play with. This gives the Leafs the money to pay Marner his $10 mil a year, Kappy and Johnsson their $4-$5 mil a year, and possibly with the Nylander trade, a cost controlled middle six defender. The team can promote Moore and Bracco and maybe Marchment to the big squad. Problems solved, low cost ELCers in.

I’d say the odds of Dubas trading abguy he’s identified as a core piece this offseason are fairly low, unless the Leafs completely flop in the playoffs.

Johnsson and Kapanen are heading straight to short term bridge deals.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

See here:

Offer Sheet Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Compensation on an offer sheet up to $4,059,322 is one second round pick.

If I'm Kappy's agent that's my bottom number where I'm negotiating.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If I'm Kappy then I want to play here so a bridge works fine as it will be a bigger pay day in the long run and I fire that agent

The short term deal makes the most sense for both sides, particularly if Kapanen has a desire to stay in Toronto (is very close friends with Nylander).

His agent is going to know the Leafs have a cap crunch next season and his client would be better suited trying to cash in during the 2020 offseason where 1) the Leafs have more space and 2) he has another season to prove his offense.

I can see the Kapanen side agreeing to a cheap deal if Dubas agrees that the bridge be only for one season.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
If I'm Kappy then I want to play here so a bridge works fine as it will be a bigger pay day in the long run and I fire that agent
Have you seen any of our players give a "hometown discount" in the latest round of negotiations as RFAs? Your thinking is wishful fan thinking.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
2003-2004 Maple Leafs as an example...
13 Mats Sundin (Hockey hall of fame)
89 Alexander Mogilny
7 Gary Roberts
25 Joe Nieuwendyk (Hockey hall of fame)
11 Owen Nolan
16 Darcy Tucker
10 Ron Francis (Hockey hall of fame)
19 Mikael Renberg
28 Tie Domi
2 Brian Leetch (Hockey hall of fame)
15 Tomas Kaberle
24 Bryan McCabe
20 Ed Belfour (Hockey hall of fame)

80 Nikolai Antropov
21 Robert Reichel
23 Alexei Ponikarovsky
14 Matthew Stajan
12 Tom Fitzgerald
22 Ken Klee
9 Calle Johansson
27 Bryan Marchment
29 Karel Pilar
26 Nathan Perrott
8 Aki-Petteri Berg
55 Richard Jackman
18 Harold Druken
55 Drake Berehowsky
18 Chad Kilger
33 Craig Johnson
3 Wade Belak
37 Trevor Kidd
45 Carlo Colaiacovo
3 Pierre Hedin
42 Kyle Wellwood
9 Josh Holden
38 Brad Leeb
34 Maxim Kondratiev
39 Clarke Wilm
32 Mikael Tellqvist

2002-2003 looked pretty good too as we had these scrubs on our team as well...
Renberg
Corson
Lumme
Wesley
Housley (Hockey hall of fame)
Gilmour (Hockey hall of fame)

Yea, it was a good team but not relevant to the question I asked, but thanks for sharing..

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Have you seen any of our players give a "hometown discount" in the latest round of negotiations as RFAs? Your thinking is wishful fan thinking.

A one year bride though isn’t the same as a discount.

There aren’t many comparables that have a guy with 1 45ish point season get big money deals.

A

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I hope Kappy stays. He may not be in core group right now but in my mind he is closest player we have now to it. And he is still a young developing 1st round draft pick. Given his dads history in NHL I think he is a keeper. That kinda speed you just don't see it often. It is not even projected in the next 2 draft years of kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->