2019-20 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3: Uncharted

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Well we didn't have a season after we won the cup last time. I guess we would already be used to that. But I think there is definitely a chance that its scrapped but I think they will find a way to play. Maybe just me being optimistic though.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
The playoffs worked because of just 2 Bubble sites, and strictly and enforced protocols. Now Covid 19 cases in the US are at all times record highs for new positive cases, and over 1K deaths a day. A vaccine may be be available early next year, but initially the front line workers, and those at major risk, will get it. IMO they should scrap 2020-2021 season, and start the 2021-2022 on the normal calendar.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
A team only needs to be cap compliant on the first day of play. If this year is scratched, there is nothing prohibiting a team from being over the cap for the entire season.
Uggh hope that doesn’t happen thought I’ve heard some owners believe cancellation is the most economically feasible.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I have also been away for a while but since not a lot have happened it doesn't look like I've missed much.

I do wonder if they will start next season soon. Looking around at the players it looks like they are all returning to their team cities in the next little while so they might not have made a decision yet.

Oh, and I just realized that it's been a year yesterday and today that the Lightning games were here in Stockholm, so much has happened since then but it was still two funny nights.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The playoffs worked because of just 2 Bubble sites, and strictly and enforced protocols. Now Covid 19 cases in the US are at all times record highs for new positive cases, and over 1K deaths a day. A vaccine may be be available early next year, but initially the front line workers, and those at major risk, will get it. IMO they should scrap 2020-2021 season, and start the 2021-2022 on the normal calendar.
Chances are that is exactly what is going to happen. Dailey said a few weeks ago that starting the 21-22 season on time was a must. The AHL has slated a Feb 1 start and the NHL would probably be in that same area. Buttman said 48 games as a minimum to have a season. The league has not even started discussions with the players organization about a new start date or what portion of salary the plaers would recieve for a shortened season. The border question will be addressed on the 22nd and noone expects any loosening of the closure. The virus increasing only hampers opening with fans in the seats I read one article that had 18 teams implying that unless they could open with no restrictions they are ready to postpone the entire season. If I were betting the season is postponed and all we will have to talk about is getting under the Cap because no one is going to take on additional cap with no season and the RFA's have NO reason to sign until probably next July.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Based on discussions on NHLN there is an expectation that a season will be played. Perhaps as short as 48 games and obviously complicated by the boarder

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Someone's mockup, should be pretty close. Maybe this but with white shoulders?

I hope that's not it. If it's retro it needs to be black or white with some blue. We are only heavy blue since Vinik came aboard, the only negative on him, so having another jersey primarily blue is a terrible idea.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It's not retro though. It's "reverse retro" which means flipping the colors around to where they weren't before. I don't think it has implications on going to a true retro, though. Probably doesn't replace the current blacks for now either. This is just a new gimmick like the "color rush" jerseys in the NFL, and would've happened no matter who was the owner, so don't pin it on Vinik. I guess they could've gone for silver jerseys instead of blue but that doesn't really pop as much.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It's not retro though. It's "reverse retro" which means flipping the colors around to where they weren't before. I don't think it has implications on going to a true retro, though. Probably doesn't replace the current blacks for now either. This is just a new gimmick like the "color rush" jerseys in the NFL, and would've happened no matter who was the owner, so don't pin it on Vinik. I guess they could've gone for silver jerseys instead of blue but that doesn't really pop as much.

If they use that blue and put the white shoulders like you mentioned then it pretty much like the currents with a different logo and a little black. They need to go away from blue and white as the main color since those are the current mains. I really don't know of what they can do that doesn't make it look too much like the old jerseys or too much like the currents, we don't have a lot of room to make it interesting so not expecting it to look very good.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Don't get their obsession with blue but if it's the old logo, I'll take it.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I like the blue but I miss the black as well. Would be cool to see them wear it again even if it was just an alternate.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think they do a 48 game season

I hope so even though a canceled season might help tampa with the cap. Although I suppose that could also hurt them too because if no money is really coming in then that could mean more salary out which could mean good players gone. Really just want to see us get our guys re-signed and move out the salary we need to move out to get that done and hopefully doesn't cost an arm and a leg to do that. I feel like if there is a season then they would want to get those ideas together as soon as possible. Hopefully we get some news soon.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I hope so even though a canceled season might help tampa with the cap. Although I suppose that could also hurt them too because if no money is really coming in then that could mean more salary out which could mean good players gone. Really just want to see us get our guys re-signed and move out the salary we need to move out to get that done and hopefully doesn't cost an arm and a leg to do that. I feel like if there is a season then they would want to get those ideas together as soon as possible. Hopefully we get some news soon.

won’t happen until owners know when they can get fans in the building

Reactions: Crunchrulz

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
NHL is gate driven. Without fans every team will lose money. They'll need a lot of help from the players to pull it off.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
NHL is gate driven. Without fans every team will lose money. They'll need a lot of help from the players to pull it off.

They're going to lose money regardless. The players will still be paid, obviously less revenue which will make their salaries less, so canceling the season doesn't seem beneficial in that regard. Not sure how the TV deals are structured but the league can't be making money if they aren't airing any games. So canceling just seems like it shouldn't be an option.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Bettman made the case for bubbles, but the owners want to play in their own arenas. They know what they're getting into, and so there better not be any complaining.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The players don't want bubbles either from what I heard.

But yeah if they play a season it's probably mostly to keep the TV networks happy at this point. Hopefully it's enough to somewhat offset the losses from the cost of playing.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
As others have mentioned, without seats in the seats, everyone loses. There is no legit reason, other than greed, to not just flat out cancel the 20-21 season and start fresh ON TIME for the 21-22 season. Gives plenty of time to review precautions and be proactive rather than reactive when things start to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad