2019-20 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3: Uncharted

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Is anyone else alarmed at the idea that our team somehow dislikes the playoff proposal because other teams are fighting to get in while we have a round robin without elimination consequences? These guys are so f***ing soft man... It's not enough that Stamkos' season got saved by divine intervention. Now we can prepare MORE excuses because we believe we are incapable of preparing for an opponent under BETTER circumstances.

If we softly crap out there is no reason whatsoever to keep Cooper unless we face the second coming of Tim Thomas or 2011 Kings and they buck every top seed en route to a Cup and lose like twice the whole way. The odds of either are the odds of us getting McDavid

Reactions: Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Is anyone else alarmed at the idea that our team somehow dislikes the playoff proposal because other teams are fighting to get in while we have a round robin without elimination consequences? These guys are so f***ing soft man... It's not enough that Stamkos' season got saved by divine intervention. Now we can prepare MORE excuses because we believe we are incapable of preparing for an opponent under BETTER circumstances.

If we softly crap out there is no reason whatsoever to keep Cooper unless we face the second coming of Tim Thomas or 2011 Kings and they buck every top seed en route to a Cup and lose like twice the whole way. The odds of either are the odds of us getting McDavid
I think from a relatively objective standpoint, TB's argument makes sense, but everyone is supposed to puff their chest out and bluster about how nothing scares them.

It's one of those things. The vote was against the exact format presented, not on an altered version that they might have been okay with.

If a single game play-in happened, then the round robins happened, so it nullified the play-in momentum, that's a different proposal from everybody playing at the same time, etc.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Yeah I agree, this playoffs will be all about who can get ready mentallty and physically. If they don't get to play qualifying rounds they need to go harder in training camp and the seeding round, no excuses - they get Stamkos and McDonagh back healthy. But then again I can see this team half assing the seeding round cause "nothings on the line" and then struggle once the intensity shifts the first round.

They should be glad we're getting a playoffs with this insanely stacked roster, a cancelled playoffs would have been the worst possible outcome for Tampa, they stand to lose a lot with the uncertainty of the cap next year.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Didn't like it. It is SOFT. It is WEAK. Go out and destroy your opponent. This mamby bamby crap is stupid.

And who doesn't think this is in their heads already...team has advantage...we choke. Built in excuse.

Big if, but an early exit and this team needs a major overhaul starting at head coach.

Reactions: Hoek and ultra63

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I like how TB/Killorn not being swayed by peer pressure means we're soft.

I read that interpretation of character somewhere. It's not what you do when no one's looking, it's what you do when everyone is looking and telling you to do something you don't agree with.

Last edited:
Reactions: DistantThunderRep

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I agree with the expectation that they better come out ready, hungry and pissed when the puck finally drops. But they have every right to vote against a system that they might not find optimal or fair. To derive mental weakness and a “loser attitude” from that seems like a stretch.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I don't see the difference between what happens in this format versus what would've happened if the season continued. In both cases we were easily in the playoffs and only fighting for seeding. This makes the complaint ring hollow to me.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I agree with the expectation that they better come out ready, hungry and pissed when the puck finally drops. But they have every right to vote against a system that they might not find optimal or fair. To derive mental weakness and a “loser attitude” from that seems like a stretch.

It's less about that they voted against something. I don't care how things are voted. I care when a team rife with years of playoff failure somehow finds it necessary to comment on what our competition is going to do and why it matters to us. What other teams have to go through shouldn't matter when you win a championship and this expresses the opposite. This team has scared the shit out of me with its focus for years now and the last thing I wanna hear is "but other teams" I want to hear "We are ready. Let's win a Cup." I do everything possible to keep complaints to a minimum and figure out WHY when we fail. If a reason makes sense I won't bicker. To the point that people wonder if I even believe in accountability.

We haven't had hockey in 2 months and the first words out of our guys is focusing on what OTHER teams are doing. That doesn't sit with me. I'm tired of every year ending with us being hard luck losers and this does nothing to ease my concern. With the Lightning always read between the lines.

If we bow out as hard luck losers again you wanna know how shocked I'm gonna be?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I don't see the difference between what happens in this format versus what would've happened if the season continued. In both cases we were easily in the playoffs and only fighting for seeding. This makes the complaint ring hollow to me.
Its the fact if we tried to finish the season, we would have 12 games to warm up compared to 3 or 5.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
As a Leaf fan I'm just here to say that is one of the best hockey promo videos I have ever seen. Congrats Tampa that was hilarious.

I caught the Bruins diss, was that a leaf shirt the guy was wearing that got pushed in? Lmao.

Hope to see you in the playoffs boys.

Reactions: Hoek

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

*agitated sigh* yessss. And we go and blow the 15th pick in an otherwise decent to really good goalie draft class in Riku Helenius -who played all of 1 game ever for us. Our organizational depth was so horrid at the time that so long as OG Vasy was on board to join us we could have just drafted anyone else. It wasn't enough to botch on Riku... It was the ONE time our obsession with drafting Russians in the early 2000's paid off. And like 4 other goalies from that class were decent at some point of their NHL career and our horrid organizational depth somehow got worse

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Koshechkin is 37? Holy crap I feel old.

Edit: And he's 6'8 230 apparently...my memory has really failed me. I still kinda thought of him as an older "prospect" who remained overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia