2019-20 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3: Uncharted

Status
Not open for further replies.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Trying to start the season during a pandemic withotu a bubble is asking for a giant mess. Cancelled and postponed games. It's a lose/lose. Someone a lot smarter than myself is doing cost analysis right now on playing vs playing in bubble cities vs not playing. If they decide to play teams are going to take substantial losses. Yes, I want a season. I love hockey. I also understand the economics of it. If they lose money and the players are in a 50/50 split...are they going to pay the owners to play?

For example...if they decide to have the season...no fans...so there's a $500 mill loss are they just going to eat the player's salaries? They hate escrow now...imagine what that will lookllike.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
As others have mentioned, without seats in the seats, everyone loses. There is no legit reason, other than greed, to not just flat out cancel the 20-21 season and start fresh ON TIME for the 21-22 season. Gives plenty of time to review precautions and be proactive rather than reactive when things start to change.
It wouldn’t be greed it would be to avoid a shut down that impacts the growth of the sport. Economically the owners will lose money it would be about protecting their product, especially while networks are bidding on future rights.

Reactions: Flat Ronnie

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
As others have mentioned, without seats in the seats, everyone loses. There is no legit reason, other than greed, to not just flat out cancel the 20-21 season and start fresh ON TIME for the 21-22 season. Gives plenty of time to review precautions and be proactive rather than reactive when things start to change.
Sure it's greed to want to keep it going. But its not just as simple as that. It would be an absolute disaster to the league to cancel this year and lose out on the next TV deal. Especially with a big market like Seattle coming in.

Reactions: Flat Ronnie

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I can't even count how many pucks gourde kept alive in the o zone by himself. He is the engine on that line and is relentless. HUGE HUGE loss. He outplayed cirelli by a mile in the playoffs.

That's a lot of grit to lose.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Not going to happen. Don't you know 30 other GM's won't take any of players for anything less the 2 First Round picks? 30 other GM's got together without Brisebois and decided that we aren't allowed to be in the cool crowd any more.

stock-vector-a-black-sheep-being-shunned-from-the-rest-of-the-flock-for-being-different-128046740.jpg

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Not going to happen. Don't you know 30 other GM's won't take any of players for anything less the 2 First Round picks? 30 other GM's got together without Brisebois and decided that we aren't allowed to be in the cool crowd any more.

they did lol I thought it had to do more with a world pandemic and ownerships not wanting to take on more money lol

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
damn as much as i love CIrelli I think that Gourde is more valuable than Cirelli. The only thing why I think its kinda logic to trade Gourde is that we dont have any Cirelli type player on the team meanwhile we have Coleman and Goodrow,who are kinda of Gourde style players,but maaaan its going to suck to lose Gourde,I really loved him even when there was hate on him cuz of he wasnt able to produce points in many games, I never agreed with them and I think that he being on ice helps us a lot doesnt matter if he scores or not.Maybe I wouldnt be so sad if we trade Cernak at first,cuz we have hope that Foote can come in the line.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
damn as much as i love CIrelli I think that Gourde is more valuable than Cirelli. The only thing why I think its kinda logic to trade Gourde is that we dont have any Cirelli type player on the team meanwhile we have Coleman and Goodrow,who are kinda of Gourde style players,but maaaan its going to suck to lose Gourde,I really loved him even when there was hate on him cuz of he wasnt able to produce points in many games, I never agreed with them and I think that he being on ice helps us a lot doesnt matter if he scores or not.Maybe I wouldnt be so sad if we trade Cernak at first,cuz we have hope that Foote can come in the line.
Trading right now is to solidify the D first, Cirelli will be the third of the three RFA's tp be signed.

Reactions: Peacefool

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
You need another joke.

Ya know - from a complete selfishness standpoint - no season and straight to the expansion draft probably is the best case scenario for keeping our team together.

It is looking more and more like that too.

Just saw a news blurb that there is consideration for additional taxes for those who work from home.... Talk about kicking people when they are down.

Reactions: Hoek

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
You need another joke.

Ya know - from a complete selfishness standpoint - no season and straight to the expansion draft probably is the best case scenario for keeping our team together.

what happens to everyone’s contract? Is a year of service time added if there is no season?

also, Coleman and Goodrow become issues then. I want a season

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
what happens to everyone’s contract? Is a year of service time added if there is no season?

also, Coleman and Goodrow become issues then. I want a season
You could see it either way (slide a year or not) - either way helps us keep the core together. Coleman and Goodrow are great, but they're filler pieces not core pieces (and I think we could sign Goodrow fairly cheaply anyway, although Coleman is getting a pretty fat raise so he may be priced out).

Johnson's NTC goes away (as do others). Killorn's contract looks a lot prettier. Three years is a lot less of an albatross than 4. Seattle takes a contract off of our books for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese