2019-20 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3: Uncharted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Well can we get through the playoffs and award the Stanley cup without shutting it down again ?
Doubtful. The events of the recent days new contract and all has putt all the eggs into one basket to win it all this year because the next three years are going to be painful from a roster standpoint.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

this is the hotel right next to Amalie

101373903.jpg

Reactions: Netter and DaBolts

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Going forward, we are in cap hell.

What once was a large promising window is now the sun setting on a bunch of what if's and what could have beens.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
It's not unlikely that the NHL will let each team get a Compliance Buyout like they did post-lockout and considering that the salary cap probably won't rise, it's not out of the question.
If that was true it would have been in the newly ratified CBA. And why would the PA agree to make more players jobless? CBO isn't coming.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
A benefit of Toronto and Edmonton I hadn't really thought of is that unlike Vegas, if a player leaves the bubble, there's a more likely percentage that the player gets recognized by someone (which would go to social media, etc.)

They'd be out in groups as well, which increases the likelihood of them getting rumbled.

I do think that allowing the teams to bring a team security person is a good decision. However, there is a question of how appropriate it is to potentially leave these security guys to form an informal bubble security force.

If I was taking care of my team, and I had potentially 5 or 6 other people doing the same job in my hotel, and one of us slipping up shuts down the season, I think I'd be interested in working together a bit. Inform them if I see one of their guys in the wrong place, etc.

That would likely mean connections outside the bubble to do bar patrol each night. It shouldn't be hard to find a cop in Toronto or Edmonton who can ID a ton of players either.

The NHL couldn't 'nationalize' these guys though because they get players out of jams, which doesn't feel responsible for the league to be involved in.

Last edited:

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
What is coming is lower RFA and UFA contracts. League wide
For sure. New Contracts will have to adjust. Over half the league is going to be feeling a cap crunch at the end of this season. There won't be a lot of money to go around to hand out and we should see a lot of 1-3 year contracts for lower money because of it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
For sure. New Contracts will have to adjust. Over half the league is going to be feeling a cap crunch at the end of this season. There won't be a lot of money to go around to hand out and we should see a lot of 1-3 year contracts for lower money because of it.
So the question is, how does TB take advantage of this?

Shattenkirk type deals I'd think. The money isn't out there, so go for the cup living in Tampa.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I found an FAQ for the return to play.

https://media.nhl.com/site/vasset/public/attachments/2020/07/14036/FAQ - Return To Play - FINAL - 07.13.20.pdf

'Traveling Party' answers my question about chiro and massage therapy. Amusingly, each team must bring at least one content creator/social media individual.

There's really not a lot of wiggle room then for who to bring:
31 players
3 coaches
2 trainers
1 equipment manager
1 massage therapist
1 chiro
1 PR/communications
1 social media
1 'club compliance officer'

The league might let a team combine social media with PR/communications as is common in minor pro. Club compliance sounds like a specialized role here. The person is required to have prior compliance experience.

So if we're min/max'ing, 31+11 = 42 (keeping PR and social media split)

That's 9 spots flexible. The 52nd spot would be for team security.
TB has 5 coaches (Coop, Richards, Halps, Newsy, Jean), so we're at 44.
Let's say two execs (JBB, Roest, Murray, Darche, etc.) putting it at 46.
Bringing a strength and conditioning coach sounds useful. 47.
Maybe someone tech-savvy from stats, video, or pro scouting to make sure that backend collection stuff is running correctly during games? 48.

Equipment managers might be able to band together in Toronto, which would take the pressure off to bring more. While they're not changing cities, they are changing rinks, and they've got to get in and out at certain times because these rinks will be busy all day at the start. I really think teams will take at least two though because they know their guys. So 49.

That's only 2 spots left for more execs, pro scouts, equipment, or whoever. They don't have to be used, but teams can't bring everyone, even with 52 spots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad