2019-20 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3: Uncharted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The NHL will allow 51 or 52 total team members to their hub (they can take the extra if they're a security person).

It's surprisingly easy to fill the 20 or so slots. I do wonder about what the hub will provide. Probably mostly on the non-emergency medical end. Dentists come to mind as teeth aren't a state secret, and hopefully they'll be there for a few months, so that sort of work needs to be done up there. What about chiropractors and massage therapists?

Does JBB go to the hub? Very likely. Does AGM Al Murray? Probably not necessary. Do they bring pro scouts? Can they send them to Edmonton? Does the video coaching staff stay in TB, or go to Toronto? Probably stay, right?

I figure that in the conference final/SCF, they'll allow more people into Edmonton, as the hotel rooms would have opened back up. It'd be pretty crazy to win the cup and not have people like Mr. Vinik there.

Last edited:

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Guess we gotta go all in on the Point-Kucherov line to carry the offence with Stammer out. Cirelli - Killorn - Palat as well. Hoping Johnson can get going at least.

Defence will be fully healthy, thank god

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Here's the career playoff stats for the forwards who have scored the most post season points for us.

gpgoalsassistsptsgwg
Kucherov652932616
Stamkos702330532
Johnson682427517
Palat672121424
Killorn682120415
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hedman could be thrown in there with the forwards too. He has 48 points in 84 games.

We got everything we need. Just need enough of it to show & come together on time.

Reactions: berlin

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Here's the career playoff stats for the forwards who have scored the most post season points for us.

gpgoalsassistsptsgwg
Kucherov652932616
Stamkos702330532
Johnson682427517
Palat672121424
Killorn682120415
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hedman could be thrown in there with the forwards too. He has 48 points in 84 games.

We got everything we need. Just need enough of it to show & come together on time.

if we lose all our games do the sharks get our draft pick if it’s 1st overall?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
if we lose all our games do the sharks get our draft pick if it’s 1st overall?
The 1st overall pick will be awarded after the qualifying/seeding round and before the 1st round begins. So since we will still be playing, there’s no way for our 1st rounder to become the 1st overall pick

The pick we got from Vancouver and traded to New Jersey on the other hand is the big question mark since Vancouver may get knocked out before the lottery.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
The 1st overall pick will be awarded after the qualifying/seeding round and before the 1st round begins. So since we will still be playing, there’s no way for our 1st rounder to become the 1st overall pick

The pick we got from Vancouver and traded to New Jersey on the other hand is the big question mark since Vancouver may get knocked out before the lottery.

na remember if the Canucks miss the playoffs then the pick moves to a 2021 first rounder for the devils

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
na remember if the Canucks miss the playoffs then the pick moves to a 2021 first rounder for the devils
The qualifying round counts as the post season so they’ve technically made the playoffs even if they don’t make it to the first round. That’s my understanding unless there’s something else to it. Originally the deal was made to give Vancouver “lottery protection” but the rules have kinda changed now.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
The qualifying round counts as the post season so they’ve technically made the playoffs even if they don’t make it to the first round. That’s my understanding unless there’s something else to it. Originally the deal was made to give Vancouver “lottery protection” but the rules have kinda changed now.

no idea the conditions were if they missed the playoffs in 2020 then the pick auto moves to 2021. I didn’t know if this actually counts as making the playoffs?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The NHL chose specifically the term 'qualifying' round.

I understand collecting the stats as playoffs, but if you lose in the qualifying round, you haven't qualified for the playoffs. Right? What's it qualifying for?

There's even more stakes in it working like that then just considering everyone to have made it. The spirit of the play-in is to come to sort of conclusion for a prematurely ended regular season for the teams on the bubble.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I had a thought that Disney World is connecting their re-opening with the data they have for the NBA and MLS bubbles (which I think is faulty logic). Presumably, the regular workers are getting tested as well. Chefs, cleaning crews, etc., and they'd be representative of the local population.

A 'cast member' in the parks is probably way more likely to get infected with all the COVID warriors out there. They do check temps at the entry, but you can carry it and not have symptoms (or symptoms without a fever)

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
NHL going to Canada was smart.
Going to Canada was smart because of lower COVID numbers, and because of the x-factor of police protests. The NHL is a very white league, and they wouldn't want a police incident outside an arena 'protecting' them. At the very least they have to travel from the arena to the hotel at night when the violence largely happens.

It's the Kobayashi Maru. If they let the cops have a presence, then they're endorsing them. They won't allow players to protest, which many protestors may not initially understand, so the league has to take the criticism for not allowing them, etc. If a player does show up at a protest, then punishing them would be criticized, etc.

If an arena worker gets arrested/detained because they're going home at night, after curfew, then that opens up a slew of issues.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I haven’t been following MLS but it looks like today was not the first time a player has tested positive inside their bubble.

from a few days ago -

SKC arrived in Orlando on the evening of July 5th.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad