2019-20 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3: Uncharted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discipline

Oct 14, 2019
North Carolina
Kucherov's NMC does not kick in until next week according to Pierre LeBrun in the Athletic.

Now that would be a radical move to make if JBB decided to ship off Kuch.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We might lose Cirelli or Cernak. As good as Cirelli is, I think we can absorb that loss. We'd be replacing him with Stamkos (hopefully), so it's a little hard for me to believe we're not favorites to win again, even if we lose a player or two. WE'RE ADDING (...hopefully) STEVEN STAMKOS!

Cernak would be a trickier loss, because, even though he's not as valuable as Cirelli, he'd be tough to replace, especially with someone making less money than he will. It could hurt our top-4 a lot.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Don't we have to resign Foot too?

Not that he'll get or demand big money, but he is our best prospect.

I'd love for
Hedman - Bogo
McDonagh - Foot (play him with the responsible vet?)
Serg - Cernak

Edit: Volkov is up too. Lmao so many players to sign. I think we're screwed
Foote has another year left on his ELC

Nautica54

Nov 28, 2015
We might lose Cirelli or Cernak. As good as Cirelli is, I think we can absorb that loss. We'd be replacing him with Stamkos (hopefully), so it's a little hard for me to believe we're not favorites to win again, even if we lose a player or two. WE'RE ADDING (...hopefully) STEVEN STAMKOS!

Cernak would be a trickier loss, because, even though he's not as valuable as Cirelli, he'd be tough to replace, especially with someone making less money than he will. It could hurt our top-4 a lot.

As much as i want to rely on Stamkos, and this years feel good story of him scoring that 1 goal....Im sorry if i take the approach as an organization that anything Stamkos gives us throughout the season should be considered a bonus and not neccessarily expected. With his injury history, flukey or not...i dont think letting players walk with the assumption Stammer is going to be 100% is the right move.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Maroon was somewhat disappointing in the playoffs. Obviously we knew he was bottom six, and not speedy, but he was supposed to be the cup vet, the guy who knew what to do, and he showed poor discipline several times as the pressure ramped up. It undermined the authority they brought him in for.

I don't know Patrick Maroon's history that well, but the Lightning staff can maybe look at giving him a different off-season diet and training plan to get his speed up. The AAV shouldn't be that much.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Moving the older players out is how this works, but if we've got a guy we just can't convince to sign a bridge deal, theoretically we could get good value for them with a team like Colorado, Vancouver, or Calgary.

Teams with tons of cap space are at the bottom of their cycle, so they need to keep their picks, but a team that's maybe ready for the next step would be willing to make a move.

Yes, we could try to 'send a message', but cashing in is more important.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't see a scenario where trading kuch makes us a better team.

Kucherov to LA for #2 + Turcotte?

Palat - Point - Stamkos
Byfield - Cirelli - Coleman
Killorn - Turcotte - Gourde
Goodrow - Stephens - Verheaghe
Joseph/Volkov

Hedman - Rutta
McDonagh - Foote
Sergachev - Cernak

This is if Stamkos will be healthy so he can take some of the sting off losing Kucherov. We can keep the rest of the team intact for another run and would be even deeper by pushing Goodrow to the 4th line with guys like Turcotte and Byfield. LA does it to get a big name player still in their prime to try another run while Kopitar and Doughty are still good.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
McDonagh would be an example of a player none of us were expecting, as LeBrun alluded to. Could be a strong possibility, especially with the emergence of Serg.

Reactions: Discipline

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
McDonagh would be an example of a player none of us were expecting, as LeBrun alluded to. Could be a strong possibility, especially with the emergence of Serg.
Cant see it. Our defense would be decimated. Having McDonagh on a separate pairing from Hedman is a big reason why we got so many shutdown wins. Sergachev is still a few years from handling the that role on a nightly basis. I think it's more likely we let Cirelli go that whittle our D down even more than it's going to be.

I think it's: Killorn moves without a doubt, and then we ask Johnson and Gourde to waive, in that order.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Cant see it. Our defense would be decimated. Having McDonagh on a separate pairing from Hedman is a big reason why we got so many shutdown wins. Sergachev is still a few years from handling the that role on a nightly basis. I think it's more likely we let Cirelli go that whittle our D down even more than it's going to be.

I think it's: Killorn moves without a doubt, and then we ask Johnson and Gourde to waive, in that order.

Gourde isn't going anywhere. He was excellent last year and is in his prime on a relatively affordable contract for his role. We could renegotiate and extend him only if he agrees to waive his NTC when Serge's bridge expires.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Roster:
Palat - Point - Kucherov
Killorn - Cirelli - Stamkos
Coleman - Gourde - Goodrow
Paquette - Verhaeghe - X
X, X
[$44.05M + needing to sign Cirelli, Verhaeghe, and 3 more forwards]

Hedman - Bogosian
McDonagh - Cernak
Sergachev - Foote
Coburn, X, X
[$17.25M + needing to sign Bogosian, Cernak, Sergachev, and 2 more defense]

Vasilevskiy, McElhinney
[$10.8M]

Cap Hit / Space:
81.5 - [44.05 + 17.25 + 10.8 ] = $9.4M remaining space

Cirelli + Verhaeghe + Bogosian + Cernak + Sergachev + X + X + X + X + X <= 9.4

How is this going to be possible? Did we really overpay that much for guys like Johnson, Killorn, Gourde?

Assumptions: This means the following players are out or would need to be resigned for depth:
Johnson (have to move)
Maroon (UFA)
Shattenkirk (UFA)
Schenn (UFA)
Rutta (UFA)

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

Definitely someone we don't want to lose. But after reading the tea leaves from Lebrun, something to consider.

DeeVeeUss

Apr 12, 2017
Naples, FL
I would have to lose him as he is right now, but that contract is probably going to start looking ugly in a couple of years.
Would it be so terrible to leave him exposed to Seattle next summer? One last run with this D core (assuming Sergy & Cernak are brought back) and sayonara

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gourde isn't going anywhere. He was excellent last year and is in his prime on a relatively affordable contract for his role. We could renegotiate and extend him only if he agrees to waive his NTC when Serge's bridge expires.

If he waives, I think he'll move. Doubt he waives though.

Reactions: DaBolts

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

Aging Stamkos will only get better defensively, and he already did. Killing it on face-offs and a beta producer on PK. We've got hard choice to make but "Cheer" is an obvious and juicy trading chip. Sergachev on the other hand, is not. In the some ways our future depends on his development. He's that important to us.

Reactions: DFC

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
McD would be a tough loss. We really rely on him as the shutdown guy plus it allows us to rest Hedman and keep him fresh for the playoffs without so much milage on him.

He was also fantastic these playoffs, specially against Dallas.

I think he's got a solid 2 years left at the top of his game still before the contract gets ugly. I think our defense is what we need to keep intact for another couple runs here. It's what separated us from other teams. Need to keep Cernak and Bogo as well

Reactions: NatoGhost

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
McD would be a tough loss. We really rely on him as the shutdown guy plus it allows us to rest Hedman and keep him fresh for the playoffs without so much milage on him.

He was also fantastic these playoffs, specially against Dallas.

I think he's got a solid 2 years left at the top of his game still before the contract gets ugly. I think our defense is what we need to keep intact for another couple runs here. It's what separated us from other teams. Need to keep Cernak and Bogo as well

Agreed. Our time to win is obviously right now, so I don't think we should be worrying TOO MUCH about three and four years from now. A little, maybe. But in the here and now, McDonagh makes us a much better team than anyone we can replace him with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad